• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pigeon Eggs

liuzhou

From the topic title, you can probably guess what these are.

56ec118ee761a_pigeoneggs.jpg.f90d2d05279

On a whim, and considering that I already have goose, duck, chicken and quail eggs, somewhat ridiculously, I bought these pigeon eggs.

Here is a comparative image of my 5 eggs.

56ec11e535eda_5eggs.jpg.de85fd0a349a42f2

Now I'm wondering what to do with the pigeon eggs. Some will go into scotch eggs, but beyond that I haven't thought yet.

Any suggestions?

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have heard the phrase "pigeon egg blue" forever.  And now I find out they are white.  Or maybe it refers to a different species of pigeons?

As to using them, would pigeon pie  be one possibility?  People around here just refer to them as flying rats so I have never tasted one.

2 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I have heard the phrase "pigeon egg blue" forever.  And now I find out they are white.  Or maybe it refers to a different species of pigeons?

As to using them, would pigeon pie  be one possibility?  People around here just refer to them as flying rats so I have never tasted one.

Pigeon pie would involve the birds rather than the eggs, I think. They are often available in the same market as I bought the eggs, but haven't seen them recently.

pigeon.jpg.98a32fafd46b1bdf24369433c89e2

City pigeon's are certainly flying rats. Disgusting creatures. But wood pigeons are something else. I like 'em. That is what these eggs come from. I've never seen city pigeons here, but I did live in London for many years and they are a public nuisance. It is now illegal to feed them.

• Like 2

One of my grandmothers served squab at some holiday meal.  I was pretty young and the sight of the 'little birdie" made my cry.  Hunting and eating doves is popular here but don't know if anyone raises them as domestic birds.  Funny how we call pigeons rats but doves are messengers of love and peace. Bet when all is said and done, the genetic make-up is almost identical!  

I would go with Scotch eggs, and I'd also try some pickled eggs with them. Being so small, they should pickle quickly. And just boiling, peeling and halving, they ought to be great in salads or as garnishes. I do a spring pea salad for Easter every year, and have used hardboiled quail eggs, halved, as a garnish for it. Looks pretty, tastes great.

K.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Pigeon pie would involve the birds rather than the eggs, I think. They are often available in the same market as I bought the eggs, but haven't seen them recently.

Of course, as soon as I say I haven't seen them recently, they turned up in the market this morning.

pigeons.jpg.4996e2e36ea6213f69a78cb547f0

(Nearly all poultry is sold live, although the vendors will do the dirty, if you prefer.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Interesting: I always heard it was "robin's egg blue".

I'd fry the eggs in butter first, to see what they taste like, and then go on from there.  I'd guess that they won't taste much different to hen's eggs, so either use them as normal or take advantage of the size and make something dainty :)

• Like 1

Those pigeons for sale look exactly like the pigeons I see on the street in New York.

By the way, about city pigeons being dirty: It's really just due to the environment they live in, much as it's difficult for people living on the streets to get and stay clean. I've observed that the pigeons who roost on the ledge across from my apartment spend a lot of time grooming themselves and their mates.

Back to food, though: I've certainly eaten pigeon and like it, and it's not quite like chicken, but I've never eaten pigeon eggs. I'd be curious to read a follow-up on whether they do in fact taste a lot like chicken eggs; I wouldn't assume so.

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

14 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I'd fry the eggs in butter first, to see what they taste like, and then go on from there

I fried one as a taste test, but in rice bran oil to be neutral. Tasted just like a fried egg! Only the size would give it away as not being a chicken egg.

• Like 4

On 18/03/2016 at 11:00 PM, IowaDee said:

I think I've found the origin of "pigeon egg blue".

I hard boiled a bunch to go with a salad. The "white" of the eggs is fully set, but still transparent, looks undercooked and appears somewhat gelatinous. Though it doesn't taste that way. Some of the egg "whites" have a slight but definite bluish tinge. I tried to capture that in the photograph, but I'm not sure how well it shows.

I've also read that fertile eggs turn more blue just before hatching.

56ede39d4e7a4_boiledpigeoneggs2.jpg.6541

By the way, they are a pain to peel.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5