• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Many Meals From One Roast Chicken?

weinoo

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

Now that I've found the "sasso" type birds, at a place that's close enough to make it worthwhile for a trip there, most of those birds appear to be in the 4 pound range, and are slaughtered at a much older age than the commodity birds. And the breast tends to be much smaller.

Commodity birds are invariably Cornish Crosses which have been bred to grow very quickly with enormous breasts –which leads to considerable physical liabilities (their legs can’t support their weight).  The breed is lethargic, doesn’t scratch or forage like other breeds and is essentially a lazy mutant.

The birds in the Sasso brand have more normal breast-to-leg ratio and grow at a slower (more normal) 12 weeks to slaughter rate than the 8 weeks for Cornish Cross.

It is fascinating that at $0.77/lb, after raising, slaughtering, packaging and shipping, money is still being made on that creature.  That’s cheaper than iceberg lettuce and most vegetables.  Even dried pasta.

• Like 7

Meal eight:  you didn't think I was finished, did you?  A soup of RG Marcella beans and fresh picked sage, cooked in chicken broth.  Garnished with black pepper and parmesan.  Served with store bought bread sticks.  And soave.

Completed with Chartreuse Yellow V.E.P.

I had intended torn watercress but totally forgot.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

Meal nine -- I'm not sure this counts:  I cooked up a go of rice and made a sauce of the remaining chicken broth.  There is still some sauce left.

I remembered the watercress, though it has seen better days.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I say it does count. Homemade stock made from poultry frames contains some protein and lots of flavor and can be used to extend rice into a very tasty meal. All the better if you have saved a little of the meat for those like my husband who insist on it, but @JoNorvelleWalker's dish sounds mighty fine on its own to me. :)

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

On April 9, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Baron d'Apcher said:

Commodity birds are invariably Cornish Crosses which have been bred to grow very quickly with enormous breasts –which leads to considerable physical liabilities (their legs can’t support their weight).  The breed is lethargic, doesn’t scratch or forage like other breeds and is essentially a lazy mutant.

The birds in the Sasso brand have more normal breast-to-leg ratio and grow at a slower (more normal) 12 weeks to slaughter rate than the 8 weeks for Cornish Cross.

It is fascinating that at $0.77/lb, after raising, slaughtering, packaging and shipping, money is still being made on that creature.  That’s cheaper than iceberg lettuce and most vegetables.  Even dried pasta.

How are the Sassos compared with the Bobo chickens? (I'm thinking the ones they called the black plume birds, that had the big thighs and small breasts. Jeffrey had them. Now I have wander around Chinatown).

Notes from the underbelly