• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Baking Recipes

Sophie Cook

My go-to dessert for Easter is a lemon tart. To me this feels very appropriate for spring. I've tried different recipes over the years, with or without meringue on top, and even one with a thin layer of chocolate between the crust and the filling. I love them all. :)

• Like 5

I do hot cross buns in large quantities, with Seville orange marmalade; I'll probably also do oatmeal-date sandwich cookies (wedding cookies) and little birds made from sweet challah bread.

Oh, and just because I'm a bit of a contrarian, I'll also make hamentaschen.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense
addition (log)
  • Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

If I end up baking for Easter, I usually go for something  light and that is vaguely spring-like. My favorite is a sponge or chiffon cake, split, filled with some whipped cream and berries (if good ones are available) or lemon curd.  Top with more whipped cream or sifted confectionary sugar/whipped cream on the side.

Often seen around these parts at Easter:

Boston cream pie, which isn't a pie at all. It's a yellow cake, split and filled with pastry creme, covered with a dark chocolate glaze.

Rum cake. Good white/yellow cake. sometimes made with ground nuts, liberally doused with lots of dark rum. Can be a simple bundt style or frosted with a rum-flavored frosting.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kbjesq said:

I'm thinking of making a malted coconut cake that I saw recently and saved to my flipboard -  it's certainly gorgeous!  Recipe here:  Malted Coconut Cake

Wow, that looks amazing! :D

• Like 1

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

I'm sure there must be some photos of my somewhere also around Egullet. But it's easier to link here.

This is an old blog of mine when I was living in London 10 years ago. But the recipes are great and in English.
Tortano ah, ah, I'm laughing at rereading my younger self. Motherhood must have brought some insight. That bread was very good. 

Pizza al formaggio di Pasqua this, the pictures don't make it justice because it was wonderful, I would make it this year but I don't have the time for it

Fugazza vicentina less difficult than making a true colomba with lievito madre. Great texture and flavor.

Other option would be torta pasqualina which is a little complicated if you want to do it in the traditional way, unless you are pretty good with strudel dough, then it requires only a little bit of time. And on the sweet side also the pastiera napoletana which requires a jar of precooked wheat unless you go to the tedious step of soaking whole berries

• Like 1

A white coconut layer cake with white mountain frosting and drifts of coconut on the outside, lemon curd for the filling.  

I'd settle for a lemon tart if the layer cake was too much.

Another thing I like for an Easter dessert is a Blitz Torte -- a layer cake with the egg white meringue baked on the outside, put together with raspberry jam filling, then whipped cream with raspberry sauce on the top cup of meringue.  You don't have to use raspberry for Blitz Torte, of course, except in my house where you do.  This King Arthur's recipe adds cinnamon to the meringue, which is just wrong.  Also, I put the cake bits together, sandwiched with raspberry jam, with the meringue bits on top and bottom.  Toasted almonds are traditional but I don't use them.  Anyway, here it is:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/berry-blitz-torte-recipe

10 hours ago, Franci said:

And on the sweet side also the pastiera napoletana which requires a jar of precooked wheat unless you go to the tedious step of soaking whole berries

Last year I made a pastiera for Easter and it was wonderful (there are pictures a year back on the baking thread). When I asked about canned wheat at the relatively-local Italian market, the proprietor, Mr. Lombardi, showed me where it was and said, very scornfully, "but the local cooks always cook their own wheat berries" and showed me where they were. I didn't find it tedious and the result was delicious. Sadly, this year due to some health and weight issues, my husband asked that I not repeat it. Because he couldn't stop eating it. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina