• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Driving between San Francisco and Monterey

cyalexa

I never stop between SF and Monterey, mainly because most of the driving scares me and I just want to get to Monterey safely and get off that crazy road as soon as possible, but in Monterey, by all means avoid the places on the wharf -  tourist traps of the worst sort IMHO. 

In Pacific Grove, next door to Monterey, there is Vivilo's Chowder House, which is excellent and very reasonably priced with modest decor  -  sustainable Monterey Bay squid steaks are a highlight on the menu : https://www.google.com/search?q=Pacific+Grove+California+restaurants+specializing+in+Seafood+squid+steaks+Italian+fare&oq=Pacific+Grove+California+restaurants+specializing+in+Seafood+squid+steaks+Italian+fare&aqs=chrome..69i57.6687j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#q=Pacific+Grove+seafood+restaurants&istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=908281185820346557

Also highly rated in PG is Passionfish, with prices to match. Personally, I've never been impressed with the quality of the food or the service especially after paying the inevitably hefty bill. 

Hopefully locals will chime in with more suggestions!  Have a safe trip! 

• Like 1