• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying new things and ideas in cooking

Slick

Hello to all, my wife and I enjoy cooking together and trying new ideas in preparation. I discovered this forum from another (Stefans Gourmet Blog). I've enjoyed exploring and reading so many good sounding recipes. We tend to do more French-inspired cooking than anything else. Also try some Modernist ideas too.

I am at the keyboard while my experimental "banana pudding" is cooking in the Sous Vide. I adapted it from my creme brûlée SV recipe with technique I discovered for SV bananas. It's all from scratch, I even made the vanilla wafers. If this works (we'll have to eat the failure if not), then I may try adding some other flavors to it to complement the banana. Ideas would be welcomed. 

I also make charcuterie at home. Recently, I made another batch of "jambon de Paris" for us and some French friends who said they cannot find good ham here (Texas). It was killer. There is no way to describe the difference in flavor compared to commercial or commercially available wet cured hams. Of course it only takes about 21 days to make but who's counting. My friends were thrilled with it and ate every morsel. (If there is not a formula/recipe/process for it, I will share mine.)They asked me to make some "rillette de porc" so I'll do that tomorrow after my cut of pig thaws. It will be traditional French in preparation. We love it and having it in fridge (lasts weeks) makes a light meal special (smaller bowl-sizes than traditionally found in France). 

I suppose our biggest accomplishment to date was Thanksgiving dinner for four featuring a SV medium rare prime rib. It was probably the best piece of beef we have ever had, anywhere. We decided to make everything from scratch and as organic as possible: consommé of beef (yes, from bones), Parker House rolls, veggies from our garden, and a rolled raspberry meringue for dessert. The consommé was the hardest to make but after a couple of tries, we got it.

I plan to search for ideas, recipes and techniques for Sous Vide, Modernist, German and French cooking and charcuterie. 

Take care all, 

Slick aka Cecil

• Like 4

Welcome to eGullet, Slick! As Tere indicated, I hope you will love this group/site as much as many of us do.

I am looking for adventurous people like you here in Nova Scotia. If I can move from TX to here (though in my case, via NC) .. you and your wife can too! :) (Just kidding ... but ... I couldn't help planting the seed).