Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smithy

eG Foodblog Fanfare

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Deryn said:

Eagerly awaiting the Sunday start of *********** blog. It is bound to be fantastic! :)

 

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

 

Are you asking whether the blogger has been identified?  If so, I'm not answering that question...


Yeah but... I added the *********** to the quote... because that's not what's in the original.

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really looking forward to this.

 

 


Edited by Tere Removed a question so I don't derail the thread :) (log)
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I just changed my post - the one you 'quoted', Tri2Cook. Seems some of us may have jumped the gun - it was not my intention to do that.

 

Tere - I am sure we would all love to hear about your travels, especially the food related parts, either on a 'a la minute' basis or after the fact upon your return. You can, I think, just start a new thread to chronicle all that, but, if you want to consult someone, maybe you could send Smithy or Chris a PM.


Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Deryn said:

And I just changed my post - the one you 'quoted', Tri2Cook. Seems some of us may have jumped the gun - it was not my intention to do that


The game is to figure out who it is, it was figured out. Fair game. No gun jumping occurred.

  • Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Anna N said:

 

 

Can't remove this ^^^ weird formatting from my reply. I just wanted to say that I don't care who is blogging or where, if it involves salted fish and lychees, I'm excited.

And didn't one of our bakers recently post a photo of a minions-themed cake? 


Edited by kbjesq Fix Typo (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear - yes, the game is to guess who it is.  I confess, I'd hoped that it wouldn't happen so many days before the blog opens...but kudos to our guessers!


Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess it IS Panaderia after all? I got confused when I saw Smithy's comments about how she was not going to say yet and then posted the extra pictures - and Tri2Cook then quoted me but ******'d out the name. My apologies. Again though, if it is our Canadian expat friend ... I am so excited to 'taste' the South American fare that I hope we will be treated to soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kbjesqI think those are rambutans, not lychee...  regardless, I'm looking forward also!

 

@TereI'll second Deryn's comment that we would love to hear about your travels, and see photos!  You don't necessarily need to ask a host to do one - although I'm sure they appreciate it and have good ideas on how to keep people interested.... but I've done a few in the past (Saigon and Singapore over the last year...) just after I got home from my trips while everything was fresh in my mind, and I really enjoyed doing them.  Not only is it fun to share the info with people who are genuinely interested, but it also helps to relive some of the great moments.. plus, I now have a record of my travels that I can re-read when planning stuff in the future!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's me!  But I am yet to have baked a Minion cake, dear friends….  That's my Ovaltine jar in that photo, along with my hot chocolate and coffee jars.

 

I'd like to apologize over the salt fish photo - I didn't realize I'd posted that one here before, and it almost gave the game away before it started!  As some enterprising guessers pointed out, it's not "true" bacalao (although I will be showing you the real thing, as well as Mero - there's a huge festival of bacalao sales on the starting Sunday).  Pictured in the teaser, for the largest part, is salted black rock sole.

 

And finally, kbjesq, those hairy red horrors are Rambutan, not Lychee.  It's currently Rambutan season, and people are selling them out of wheelbarrows at 35-40 fruits for $1.  When we hit the peak of the season that can go up to 60/$1.

  • Like 12

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

It's currently Rambutan season, and people are selling them out of wheelbarrows at 35-40 fruits for $1.  When we hit the peak of the season that can go up to 60/$1.

Looking forward to following your blog. And also wondering what people do with so many Rambutan!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

.... And also wondering what people do with so many Rambutan!

 

Eat them until we burst and are so sick of Rambutan that we never want to see another one (until maybe next season)?  They're delicious.

  • Like 4

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, PanaCan.  Loved your last blog with you and your family eating from food trucks.  Oh my, would I love to do that.  East Central Ontario has only chip trucks.  Not too exciting.

So we wait for the next blog.  Hooray!  :x:x

  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I've recovered from the notion of people eating guinea pigs, or whatever pet-like creature it was! But I am most looking forward to your blog, and will be anxious to learn about rambutan and salted fish!

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kayb said:

I'm not sure I've recovered from the notion of people eating guinea pigs, or whatever pet-like creature it was! But I am most looking forward to your blog, and will be anxious to learn about rambutan and salted fish!

 

If it makes you feel better, I won't be eating cuy (guinea-pig) this time around.  Easter is a massive food festival here that features more on the pig, soup, and salt-fish end of the spectrum.

 

10 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Hi there, PanaCan.  Loved your last blog with you and your family eating from food trucks.  Oh my, would I love to do that.  East Central Ontario has only chip trucks.  Not too exciting.

So we wait for the next blog.  Hooray!  :x:x

 

I will most definitely continue to eat from the food carts (I have actually never seen a food truck in the country!)  Street food is part of what makes eating here such a vibrant experience!

  • Like 5

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Yes, it's me!

 

Yay!  I'm glad my sleuthing took me to the right place!  I'm very much looking forward to spending some time in your area, virtually that is!

When I did that image search, I was really trying to identify the type of fish and thought I might find something similar to help me track them down.  I thought I remembered that previously posted eG images weren't used in the teasers so I was surprised when my search sent me right back here to your thread!  

 

Then of course, I distractedly posted while cooking a frittata and revealed your name immediately after @Smithy asked for time to post more photos.  For that, I sincerely apologize.  But I am most delighted that I was right!


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved your past two food blogs and can't wait for the next one.  Every time I read about the best places in the world to retire, there is Equador at or near the top of the list.  I'm ready for  a trip if only in your shoes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the last two photos.  I'll let @Panaderia Canadiense decide how much to say about them, now or later.  I too am looking forward to this blog!

 

Teaser5.jpg.3965fc515de2d4f01395b6118db1

 

Teaser4.jpg.f8ade9b51d40f42f282d2b677c7d

  • Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kitchen Aid mixer + fluffy white-clouded mountains ... added to the fact that Panaderia bakes - she is going to make meringues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deryn said:

Kitchen Aid mixer + fluffy white-clouded mountains ... added to the fact that Panaderia bakes - she is going to make meringues?

 

Not unless somebody pays me a very significant sum of money.  They're right at the bottom of the list of my least favourite baked goods.  I do, however, make large volumes of Italian Meringue Buttercream….

  • Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Yes, it's me!  But I am yet to have baked a Minion cake, dear friends….  That's my Ovaltine jar in that photo, along with my hot chocolate and coffee jars.

 

I'd like to apologize over the salt fish photo - I didn't realize I'd posted that one here before, and it almost gave the game away before it started!  As some enterprising guessers pointed out, it's not "true" bacalao (although I will be showing you the real thing, as well as Mero - there's a huge festival of bacalao sales on the starting Sunday).  Pictured in the teaser, for the largest part, is salted black rock sole.

 

And finally, kbjesq, those hairy red horrors are Rambutan, not Lychee.  It's currently Rambutan season, and people are selling them out of wheelbarrows at 35-40 fruits for $1.  When we hit the peak of the season that can go up to 60/$1.

 

This will be fun!  Thanks for taking it on.

 

Since you teased us with a photo of salted fish, maybe I can make a request?  Over in the salt cod topic, you mentioned an Easter soup/stew called fanesca. It sounded complicated and intriguing. Any chance we'll see some fanesca in this blog?  (fingers crossed)

  • Like 3


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LindaK said:

 

This will be fun!  Thanks for taking it on.

 

Since you teased us with a photo of salted fish, maybe I can make a request?  Over in the salt cod topic, you mentioned an Easter soup/stew called fanesca. It sounded complicated and intriguing. Any chance we'll see some fanesca in this blog?  (fingers crossed)

 

Fanesca is the reason I requested this specific time-slot for the blog, Linda!  It's the seasonal celebratory dish.  I'll be talking about the ingredients, the rationale, how it's made (although since every single one of my recipes for it produce enough to feed a small army, I'll be letting others do the cooking), and I'll be eating it in its various forms, with and without the bacalao fritters, throughout the week.

  • Like 7

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to this foodblog. Love all the market photos and also "notes on a professional bakery" in your past blogs.

 

Party on Panaderia........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

I'll be eating it in its various forms, with and without the bacalao fritters, throughout the week.

Bring on the bacalao fritters, yes please! I'll take a double order to go. Uh, make that a triple order  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Looking forward to this blog.  


Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...