• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lincoln Highway

I live north of 30 in Indiana. Most of the smaller towns along the route here don't have much in the way of interesting food. Warsaw, IN, has a few good places. Likewise Valparaiso.  I recall having some fine fast food sandwiches from a place called Zel's in Schererville. But 3 Floyds is most definitely worth a stop. Its been packed every time I've been there in the pst few years. The food has been very good. For a year or two, Chef Sheerin of Trenchermen in Chicago was mentoring the kitchen, and retains a contact w. the current chef. Farther west for the next 50 miles, most of the food is pretty boring. Sometimes some good Mexican, or gyros, maybe hot dogs or 'Q. Much better to head into Chi.

On 3/15/2016 at 11:21 AM, suzilightning said:

Johnnybird and I are heading out most of the month of April from our place here in NW NJ to Chicago then on to Nebraska and possibly down to Oklahoma looking for greater and lesser prairie chickens.  We are going to be following the Lincoln Highway(Route 30) as much as possible.  So far we are planning to go to Taylor's Maid-rite in Marshaltown, IA for a loosemeat sandwich(which my husband likened to looking like something from the cat threw up) and Nana's House in Chicago for Greek spaghetti.

Anyone have any experience with anyplace we shouldn't miss?

When you get to Oklahoma get in touch,  we can do some bbq here in Tulsa.  Oh, and the Farmers Market.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

9 hours ago, joiei said:

When you get to Oklahoma get in touch,  we can do some bbq here in Tulsa.  Oh, and the Farmers Market.  

Let me know too. I'm up for another eGullet meet-up!