• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lincoln Highway

Johnnybird and I are heading out most of the month of April from our place here in NW NJ to Chicago then on to Nebraska and possibly down to Oklahoma looking for greater and lesser prairie chickens.  We are going to be following the Lincoln Highway(Route 30) as much as possible.  So far we are planning to go to Taylor's Maid-rite in Marshaltown, IA for a loosemeat sandwich(which my husband likened to looking like something from the cat threw up) and Nana's House in Chicago for Greek spaghetti.

Anyone have any experience with anyplace we shouldn't miss?

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

How will you be detouring between 30 and Chicago? Are you planning to stay in or near Chicago for one or more nights? Do I assume correctly that the don't-miss places you're asking about are the kind that are locally famous but perhaps off-beat and off-the-beaten-track?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We are staying in Chicago proper as the hubs is going to a concert in the city ...I'm leaving the driving to him so not sure HOW we are getting in there.  Great description, Alex, as to what I would like to find.  

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ah. Perhaps you could ask him, and also where he plans to first pick up 30, then post here.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, catdaddy said:

Will you be eating the prairie chickens or just enjoying them in situ?

In situ I'm afraid..... they are now endangered at state and national level.

I have found many hard core birders have no sense of humor when it comes to hunting, eating or whatever . 

Actually John did suggest we make a joke about this.

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

OK, let's get this party started. If you're taking US-30 then US-41 into Chicago, and if you're beer drinkers, you owe yourselves a stop at Three Floyds Brewpub.

In Chicago, 90 Miles Cuban Cafe and Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits

More suggestions to follow...

• Like 1

Thank you Alex.... John is a beer drinker though I have an allergy to alcohol.  I can't wait to show him that website.   I really want to check out Bang Bang Pie and Biscuits though the Cuban  place is quite intriguing.......

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here's a list of LTHForum's Great Neighborhood Restaurants. Some are high-end, like El Ideas and Elizabeth, and some are very well known, but there are plenty of lesser known, and less expensive, gems in the list.

I and/or Ms. Alex can personally attest to these: Anteprima, avec, BIG & little's, Big Jones, Delightful Pastries, Floriole Café & Bakery (my favorite bakery in Chicago), probably Hopleaf (going there for the first time next week), Mixteco Grill, Purple Pig, Smoque BBQ, Vera, Violet Hour, Xoco, Vie.

I suspect you're already aware of the Iowa Ornithologists' Union, but if not, they are a great bunch of folks that can steer you in the right direction as to birds and, probably good chow.  I've been a sit on my ass at home birder for many, many years.  Project Feeder Watch is my winter salvation   I'll be following your trip both for birds and food.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Thank you Alex.... John is a beer drinker though I have an allergy to alcohol.  I can't wait to show him that website.   I really want to check out Bang Bang Pie and Biscuits though the Cuban  place is quite intriguing.......

If you're a pie fan, there's also Hoosier Mama Pie Company, on W Chicago Ave.

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

I suspect you're already aware of the Iowa Ornithologists' Union, but if not, they are a great bunch of folks that can steer you in the right direction as to birds and, probably good chow.  I've been a sit on my ass at home birder for many, many years.  Project Feeder Watch is my winter salvation   I'll be following your trip both for birds and food.

Thank you IowaDee....we counted migrating hawks for DODPIF, Picatinny Arsenal and Hawkcount for 20 years.  We still help count and maintain a bluebird trail on post and are taking  a breather before we do something else.   Can't wait to get back into the center of the country....

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Here's a list of LTHForum's Great Neighborhood Restaurants. Some are high-end, like El Ideas and Elizabeth, and some are very well known, but there are plenty of lesser known, and less expensive, gems in the list.

I and/or Ms. Alex can personally attest to these: Anteprima, avec, BIG & little's, Big Jones, Delightful Pastries, Floriole Café & Bakery (my favorite bakery in Chicago), probably Hopleaf (going there for the first time next week), Mixteco Grill, Purple Pig, Smoque BBQ, Vera, Violet Hour, Xoco, Vie.

OH MY GOODNESSSSSSS

we are only in Chi town for one night .....and John is there for a concert then we are gone.   Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.  Had seen Big Jones mentioned somewhere........ 

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If your in Marshalltown  for any period of time.. Try Zeno's my relatives started it.

Pizza place..like now other..in my Opinion

I grew up in Marshalltown and Taylor's is a great choice!!

Cheers Doc  B 

Its good to have Morels

Since your rout connects to I696 and I75, you can stop at American Coney Island for what is in MHO, the quintessential Detroit culinary experience:

http://www.americanconeyisland.com/menu.htm

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

19 hours ago, Alex said:

OK, let's get this party started. If you're taking US-30 then US-41 into Chicago, and if you're beer drinkers, you owe yourselves a stop at Three Floyds Brewpub.

showed this to John and his first comment was ...

"Which one is Pink"

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Naftal said:

Since your rout connects to I696 and I75, you can stop at American Coney Island for what is in MHO, the quintessential Detroit culinary experience:

http://www.americanconeyisland.com/menu.htm

Unless you know something about their itinerary that I don't, they'll be nowhere near Detroit; assuming they'll be on 30 by then, they'll cross 75 near Lima, OH.

34 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

"Which one is Pink"

I'm probably missing something obvious, but could you explain that comment to me?

The best place for dim sum is CAI in Chicago's ChinaTown. They have some interesting bakeries there too. And, IMO the absolutely best Chinese teashop between my area and the Mississippi is Dreaming of Tea in Evanston.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Unless you know something about their itinerary that I don't, they'll be nowhere near Detroit; assuming they'll be on 30 by then, they'll cross 75 near Lima, OH.

Thanks- I don't always read or pay attention the way I should

One more: Chicago is known for, among other things, its Mexican restaurants, both traditional and progressive. Near 90 Miles and Bang Bang is the progressive, relatively new, dos Urban Cantina. Check out its topic on LTH, which includes a post by occasional eG contributor nsxtasy.

On 3/15/2016 at 7:08 PM, Alex said:

"Which one is Pink"

A reference to Pink Floyd that my music loving husband informed me of.    Seems a music exec wanted to know which one was Pink when he was told of this new group the label wanted to sign.....didn't make any sense to me either,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, Alex said:

One more: Chicago is known for, among other things, its Mexican restaurants, both traditional and progressive. Near 90 Miles and Bang Bang is the progressive, relatively new, dos Urban Cantina. Check out its topic on LTH, which includes a post by occasional eG contributor nsxtasy.

you are hitting me at my weakest points...pie and Mexican food.   The goat albondigas look phenomenal......

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites