• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Kept things simple this evening. Pan fried chicken breast with boiled new potatoes and a simple lettuce, tomato and scallion salad. Chicken was brined for four hours then cooked by the 1-10-10 method. Spuds were in butter and salad had a mild vinaigrette dressing.

dinner.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Shelby

That salad looks SO GOOD.   I think I can identify most of the ingredients but would love to get your input and your recipe for the dressing.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

That salad looks SO GOOD.   I think I can identify most of the ingredients but would love to get your input and your recipe for the dressing.  

Thanks Anna!  It's nothing fancy.  I had a head of iceberg lettuce that was going south so I used that mixed with some lettuce from the greenhouse.  Your micro greens would be lovely in there, too.  A few green onions, some capers (love those things), some of my canned tomatoes that I patted dry and chopped up (couldn't face the tasteless store bought ones on my counter).  Eggs from the IP.  Homemade croutons from a loaf of French bread that I made and we didn't eat fast enough.  Forgot I put some broccoli in there, too.  And (don't look Rotuts) a few black olive slices from the dreaded can.

Ranch is as follows:

I made a batch of immersion blender mayo so that helped the flavor of the dressing I'm sure.

I put the following in a mason jar:

1/4 C. mayo

1/4 C. sour cream

1/4 C. buttermilk

1/2 t. or so of:

chives

dill

garlic powder

salt and pepper to taste

Put the lid on the jar, shake well to mix and throw it in the fridge for at least 30 mins.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

This week's fish share was sand dabs.  I did them in an egg batter and served them with yakisoba noodles and some of the last dregs of vegetables in the crisper drawer (I've been clearing out the fridge in advance of an upcoming vacation, so pickings are slim).  We were also given some Faroe Island salmon which is going to be dinner this evening.

sand dabs.jpg

• Like 15

Pork chop with sweet peppers and vinegar, broccolini sautéed with garlic and fried potatoes. I love broccolini - I grew it last year and found that there was approximately 15 minutes between when it was ready to harvest and when it burst into bloom. Maybe it was just the weather but I opted to not try again. Our local supermarket has started to carry it regularly. I feel compelled to buy it so they don't discontinue it.

DSC00921.jpg

edited to add: Someday I will remember to wipe the edge of the plate before I take a picture. 

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 16

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

14 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Pork chop with sweet peppers and vinegar, broccolini sautéed with garlic and fried potatoes. I love broccolini - I grew it last year and found that there was approximately 15 minutes between when it was ready to harvest and when it burst into bloom. Maybe it was just the weather but I opted to not try again. Our local supermarket has started to carry it regularly. I feel compelled to buy it so they don't discontinue it.

DSC00921.jpg

edited to add: Someday I will remember to wipe the edge of the plate before I take a picture. 

I too am fond of broccolini, it is perhaps my favorite vegetable.  Favorite green vegetable, anyway.  I have not found blooms a defect taste wise.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A riff on a dish with thoughts of Nasi Ulam in my mind.

Indian-type mint, Vietnamese-type mint, Vietnamese coriander, Thai basil, green onions, flowering rapini.

DSCN8737a_600.jpg

Har Mai being soaked, kaffir lime leaves.

DSCN8739a_600.jpg

"Fresh" grated coconut (from a frozen pack), chopped green onions, thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves, chopped har mai.

DSCN8744a_600.jpg

The grated coconut was dry-toasted in a hot pan (--> kerisik). The chopped har mai was toasted in a hot pan w/ a little bit of rice bran oil. Both were then recombined and tossed/mixed w/ day-old cooked basmati rice. 

With the scallions and kaffir lime leaves plonked on top.

DSCN8747a_600.jpg

Back into the still-warm pan w/ all the other herbs chopped up. Mixed in thoroughly.

DSCN8750a_600.jpg

Plated, garnished w/ more mint & basil.

DSCN8754a_600.jpg

Eating.

DSCN8759a_600.jpg

• Like 9

Five-way Cincinnatti Chili, but I cook the beans in with the cassia spiced beef chili, and they are usually prepared separately in the authentic dish. Spaghetti topped with chili and beans, finely chopped white onion, and colby jack cheese. This was popped into the microwave a few seconds per plate after plating everything on preheated plates, because I needs my pasta served piping hot with melted cheese!

A simple salad alongside, and we had a very satisfying dinner.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

@Shelby

Thank you so much for the salad and dressing recipe.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I drew inspiration from Shelby.   Chopped salad to use up what was in the refrigerator.   Frozen peas, grated carrots, one rather sad scallion, cucumber, some tomatoes that were turning soft on my counter and the last little bit of sous vide chuckeye.  The dressing is a creamy garlic which I basically winged. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I've just got back from a two trip to Guangzhou (aka Canton - home of Cantonese cuisine).  I had to deal with some government bureaucracy, for once not my host country's but my home country's. The nearest British consulate is in Guangzhou, so there I went.

Anyway my favourite eating companion kindly accompanied me and we hooked up with one of her oldest friends (from kindergarten days) and her husband for dinner at their invitation.

We went to a Cantonese restaurant which also had a strong influence from Macau and hence Portugal. The four of us ate:

roast chicken 1.jpg

Cantonese Roast Chicken

This was incredibly good. Possible the best roast chicken I've ever eaten and I've been through a few. The depth of flavor. The perfectly crisp skin which remained crisp as the dish cooled. It was served with a slightly sweet chili sauce/dip, which matched it perfectly.

eggplant w goose liver.jpg

Braised Eggplant with Goose Liver

This was also a winner. It was ordered at my suggestion because I'm a sucker for goose liver every time and had never had this combination. The eggplant just melted in the mouth and the liver matched it perfectly. I'm off to market tomorrow to hunt down a goose!

Luffa w Garlic.jpg

Steamed Luffa with Garlic

Again, this was my request. It is a dish I always enjoy and often cook.

grilled oysters.jpg

Grilled Oysters

Huge but delicious oysters grilled again with garlic and topped with green onions. Each oyster was tender but huge. Did I mention they were huge?

clams in butter.jpg

Clams in a Butter Sauce with Peppers and Olives

This was one dish which, in my opinion, didn't work. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but it clashed with everything else we were eating. I am guessing this came from the Macau / Portuguese side of the menu, as did the final dish.

cheese oysters.jpg

Grilled Oysters with Cheese

Again, although there was nothing wrong with them, I felt they didn't fit with the rest of the meal.

But we had a lovely time with some lovely people and a few beers for the boys.

• Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

That chicken is astonishing.  I can easily see its appeal. Made me want to ditch all my dinner plans and find myself a chicken.  But of course I could never aspire to anything that looked like that!   I can hear the crackling of that skin just staring at the photograph.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog