• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ordered a 15 lb. bag of crawfish from Cajun Grocer.  Ohhhhhh soooooo gooooooooood.

There is a local chain (ShopRite) that had fresh, live crawfish last year. I just yesterday, left my name and number with the fish guy there and pre ordered 10 lbs. I recently had some great ones in New Orleans and cannot wait to cook my own. It will be a first for me.

HC

• Like 3

Smoked pork tenderloin, jail slaw, potato salad. Minus the damn beans that didn't get done (see Rancho Gordo and Instant Pot threads). Very good, nevertheless, and as the beans are now done, after cooking all night on slow cook, we will repeat this one night this week (I have more tenderloin in the fridge).

tenderloin.JPG

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

First attempt at Bebek Betutu, a recipe from The Food of Bali and is a common dish.  Don't know much about this regional cookery.  A paste is made with shallots, garlic, lemongrass, lime leaves, candlenuts, ginger root, galangal, black pepper, chile, coriander trasi, salt and oil.  Rub the paste inside and out of the duck.  Wrap in leaves, I had banana, and foil then roast, low and slow.  I used my Big Green Egg but had trouble getting the temperature to where I wanted it.  Anyways, 4.5 hours at 250F.  It was very, very nice.  Mild in flavours but a good complexity.

DSC01321.jpgDSC01318.jpgDSC01320.jpgDSC01323.jpgDSC01324.jpg

• Like 18

I dared to cook a recipe which was on my focus, pig tails ragout, salted, browned, put in the crockpot with garlic, onions, tomatos and red wine. simmered for abt 5h, cool down, take flesh off the bone, simmer further until desired consistency. one has to love the taste of pig ;-)

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 12

image.jpeg

I had one potato left.   It wasn't a russet and it wasn't very large but I could not resist trying @Okanagancook's  method for oven fries.  Fabulous.  A little dip on the side didn't hurt either.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Heated up the ribs I smoked today in the oven on "keep warm", which is 170 F. The new lower salt rub is a winner, (see my post on fresh beef tongue buying and preparing). They were killer. I noticed that Deb seemed to agree.

I make a Piedmont style, vinegar based sauce for dipping on the side, which we both like. These baby  backs came from Aldi which has been my rib source of choice. They were excellent and I am sure that they will lock in a good supply of fresh eggs for the summer when the gift rack is delivered to Deb's BIL.

HC

IMG_0483.JPG.

IMG_0484.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No need to use that brand, although it is considered the best (if you can find it). Lee Kum Kee's is OK.

More important is how much you use. Fuchsia Dunlop suggests 2½ Tablespoons for 500g tofu. I might up that to 3!

Thanks @liuzhou.  It was Lee Kum Kee, but there was probably only a tablespoon left in the jar (thought I'd thrown it out, but the empty jar was in the dishwasher). Next time, much more chilli bean paste !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kayb said:

Smoked pork tenderloin, jail slaw, potato salad. Minus the damn beans that didn't get done (see Rancho Gordo and Instant Pot threads).

If I were you I would PM Steve and ask about the problem.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Whole, very fresh poached trout sous vide, plated on a bed of what seconds before had been growing watercress.  Baked potato.  Asparagus hollandaise.

Followed, just now, by a glass of Whistlepig.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Turned 15 lbs of crawfish into a couple pounds in just 2 days lol.  We spent about an hour shelling the little guys.  Goes faster when you drink wine while shelling :)

photo 1.JPG

Ronnie had gone fishing at the river and brought home a nice big drum so we had that along with some fried crawfish tails.  I can't make those very often.  They are addictive.  Like popcorn shrimp.  Only better.

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

• Like 22

Some meals.

----------------------------------------------------------

Itek Tim a.k.a. kiam chye ark th'ng (in Hokkien) (鹹菜鴨湯) (Nyonya-style "pickled mustard" duck soup).  Done in the style I usually do this in.

DSCN8653a_600.jpg

Water, duck legs (skin-on, fat-on; chopped up), pre-soaked cut-up wet pickled mustard ("harm choy"/kiam chye), sliced galangal, tamarind pulp (from a pressed block) slurried in a little water, wet/jellied sour-sweet preserved plums (instead of wet salted plums), garlic, some sea salt, some rock sugar. Simmered till done, seasoning adjusted.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kon Lo Ngap Meen (幹撈鴨麵) ("dry mixed" duck noodles), that night's version.

DSCN8696b_600.jpg

Cantonese roast duck [Asia mart]; skinny fresh wonton noodles (cooked) tossed w/ {(garlic in hot peanut oil) quenched w/ a mixture of (oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, dash of fish sauce, sesame oil, water, white pepper, rock sugar)}; Choy Sum (菜心) blanched in oiled simmering water; sliced scallions.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ngau Lam Meen (牛腩麵) (beef brisket noodles). That day's/night's version.

Cut-up brisket & some garlic.

DSCN8698a_600.jpg

Stuff being tossed around/"sautéed" in the pot.

DSCN8701a_600.jpg

Peanut oil, generous garlic, lots of sliced ginger, sliced shallots, several whole star anise, couple pieces of cassia bark, dried orange peel pieces, crushed white peppercorns, dried bay leaves, brisket pieces, dried Angular Solomon's Seal rhizome slices (玉竹), dried Chinese liquorice root slices (甘草片), some sea salt.

Tossed around. Several cubes of white fermented beancurd (白腐乳) smooshed & slurried w/ water added in.  A good pour of good Shaohsing wine. Water. Simmer slowly. Korean radish (peeled) cut into quarter-rounds added in later, simmering continued till done. Probably about 3 hours in all. Left to "meld" & deepen in taste for several hours.

Fresh noodles [New Yung Ky Noodles, Inc.], a cluster loosened up.

DSCN8703a_600.jpg

Cooked in the usual way.

Assembled bowl of Ngau Lam Meen, w/ some chopped scallions.

DSCN8711a_600.jpg

Plus ong choy (蕹菜) (Water spinach, water morning glory, Ipomoea aquatica, etc) simply stir-fried w/ garlic & salt.

DSCN8707a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray
grammar, phrasing, etc. (log)
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, huiray said:

Peanut oil, generous garlic, lots of sliced ginger, sliced shallots, several whole star anise, couple pieces of cassia bark, dried orange peel pieces, crushed white peppercorns, dried bay leaves, brisket pieces, dried Angular Solomon's Seal rhizome slices (玉竹), dried Chinese liquorice root slices (甘草片), some sea salt.

BTW, it might be useful to remind folks that oftentimes CASSIA is the stuff to use, when "cinnamon" is a listed ingredient. This dish I posted about above, for example (like many others from the E/SE Asian repertoire), is better served with cassia. True cinnamon (Ceylonese-type, for example) tends to get overwhelmed in strongly flavored dishes such as this one. Western culinary aesthetes and others might think reflexively that "true cinnamon" *must* be a better ingredient over cassia whenever a recipe calls for "cinnamon" but that is not true.

• Like 3

Well this was a real chore. I made a garlic sausage recipe that I wanted to try and it took almost all day. In fact they are still an hour away to being done and it is 6:30 pm right now. I used a KitchenAid meat grinder and stuffing tube and they are almost like toys compared to a dedicated sausage equipment. I will definitely invest in the proper equipment if i ever think about trying this again. 

I saved the beef trimmings from the last 3 briskets I smoked and was going to add them to the pork trimmings from the ribs i did the other day but when I went to the freezer to get them, they were gone and the freezer is half full with tamale stuff. I wonder what happened?  I got a pork shoulder to round out the meat. The sausage tube was too small for the bigger diameter sausage so it was really hard and time consuming to stuff those casings, especially by myself. Oh well, when I fried up a small batch to taste for seasoning, it tasted really good. Hope the smoking will make them even better. I decided to smoke them instead of just plain cooking like the regular recipe. The recipe is from Anne Burrell.

DSCN3426_zpsvcyybh4g.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14

Norm, those are gorgeous!  

A long time ago when we lived in an apartment we tried to make sausage using a very cheap stuffer.  It was an awful experience.  What we got into the casing was good but we had busted casings and sausage strung all over the place.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Norm, those are gorgeous!  

A long time ago when we lived in an apartment we tried to make sausage using a very cheap stuffer.  It was an awful experience.  What we got into the casing was good but we had busted casings and sausage strung all over the place.

I appreciate what you're saying. I had a iot of busted casing too. I probably threw away as much casing as I used, and clean-up was a chore.

Edit, here they are out of the smoker (after 2 hours at 225º)

DSCN3430_zpshtwranej.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14

image.jpeg

Found another small chuckeye in my freezer yesterday. 24 hours at 55°C and perfect beef to top my salad. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fish tacos tonight.  Mahi pan seared and cubed.  Onions fried in a film of oil and charred with a torch on one side.  Mini variety  tomatoes sautéed and mixed with the onions.  A crema made from lebneh.  Corn tortillas of course.  Only missing cilantro

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13

Shrimp and grits. Proliferation of superfluous adjectives:
Anson Mills organic, field ripened, sweet native heirloom blue corn grits; wild caught tiger shrimp confit sous vide in bacon fat; Father's country bacon lardon; D'Artagnan pasture raised, heritage pork andouille sausage sautéed with the cajun trinity and mushrooms; spicy shrimp gravy.

shrimp_and_grits.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Shrimp and grits. Proliferation of superfluous adjectives:
Anson Mills organic, field ripened, sweet native heirloom blue corn grits; wild caught tiger shrimp confit sous vide in bacon fat; Father's country bacon lardon; D'Artagnan pasture raised, heritage pork andouille sausage sautéed with the cajun trinity and mushrooms; spicy shrimp gravy.

shrimp_and_grits.jpg

Lord have mercy. I am on my way to your house.

Wait....where do you live?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com