• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

image.jpeg

Twice baked potato (cheese, green onions, butter) topped with egg and returned to the oven until the egg was cooked.  

• Like 20

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I ate out with an old friend I haven't seen for ten years, although we have communicated with each other on-line occasionally over the years. She was in town on business and we met at a local restaurant, I arrived still feeling full from a large sushi/sashimi lunch with another friend, but hey ho!

We had hot pot.

We started with this pot of white pork broth containing huge marrow bones (骨 髓 白 汤 煲 gú suǐ bái tāng bào). Gloves are provided to help you deal with getting the meat off the bones, but mostly it's just a gnawing experience. Nothing refined or dainty. Drinking straws are also provided for sucking out that marrow, but first we drank some of the soup. The broth also contained water chestnuts, Delicious.

IMg.jpg

IMG_8331.JPG

Then a dish of .steamed shrimp with garlic chives arrived (韭香生焗虾 jiǔ xiāng shēng jú xiā). These were sweet and spicy. My friend, who ordered the dish, announced she doesn't eat seafood, so I got them all to myself. Happiness!

IMG_8321.JPG

Some sweet yellow bean paste buns (麦香包 mài xiāng bāo) were next to arrive: Cake in the middle of dinner isn't uncommon.

IMG_8324.JPG

Then we started cooking stuff in the soup base, which was topped up regularly by attentive staff. We threw in these rolls of fatty beef (肥牛卷 féi niú juǎn) which cook instantly.  Below them are slices of daikon radish (白萝卜 bái luó bó) which also went in but took longer to cook.

IMG_8336.jpg

And some enoki mushrooms

IMG_8338.JPG

Finally a plate of stir fried Chinese lettuce (油麻菜 yóu má cài).

IMG_8333.JPG

My friend also presented me with a big bag of wood ear fungus and a similar bag of dried shiitake.

A good time was had.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou  

Im wondering about the enoki you get in china.

here at the Chinese markets in and around Boston, the enoki have absolutely no flavor at all.

they have a mushroom texture, and a visual effect, but nothing more.

do they have taste in China ?

I don't hate lamb!  I don't hate lamb!  Lol.  I don't know if it was because this lamb was a better quality than I've ever had (not totally sure about that) or if it's because it's SV'd or if it's simply because I cooked it (nah) but I liked it.  I didn't eat ANY of the fat--a tip that I never learned until recently.  Ronnie declared it the best lamb he's ever had.  

I made 3 chops for the two of us so I have one more round in the freezer, all tucked into their vac. bag with butter.

photo 5.jpg

photo 2.JPG

Deviled eggs with garlic and jalapeño stuffed olives on top

photo 3.jpg

Grammy's rice salad

photo 4.jpg

Creamed new potatoes and peas

photo 5.jpg

Rolls---they were edible, but they were more like small rounds of white bread.  Sigh.  I am roll challenged.  I want fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth, buttery goodness.

photo 1.jpg

Also made some breaded tomatoes

photo 2.JPG

I SV'd the lamb at 125F for a little over 2 1/2 hours then did the sear thing.  

photo 3.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 21

WOW

that last chop cut on the plate looks like the one I would have picked :

chop.jpg

creamed peas  : a lost art !

Yum !

BTW  how much did the rack weight ?  it looks bigger than the ones Ive had from Tj's via Canada.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

BTW again :  what were your SV parameters ?  and final browning ?

any seasoning in the SV'er ?

I did them at 125F for a little over 2 1/2 hours.  Only large pats of butter in the bag.  Salt and peppered right before searing them in a smoking hot cast iron pan.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I did them at 125F for a little over 2 1/2 hours.  Only large pats of butter in the bag.  Salt and peppered right before searing them in a smoking hot cast iron pan.

Oh Shelby please stop it!  I think you'll find that lamb  is very dependent on where it is raised.   I know those who love New Zealand lamb and hate Ontario lamb  and vice versa.  I have never met a lamb I didn't love but I am completely over my love  of mutton on which I was raised. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, that potato looks like a FINE idea. May go on my list for sometime this week.

@Shelby I will send you a link to my roll recipe. Guaranteed fluffly, soft, yeasty rolls. Going to have one with ham and egg inside for lunch after while. Your lamb looks good; I've seen a lot of lamb that LOOKS good, but I just haven't had good lamb, I guess.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A few recent meals.

Pad Woon Sen, that night's version.

DSCN8493a_600.jpg

This one was done with sliced beef strips, broccolini, Thai chillies, the usual sauce mixture, plus etc etc.

Freshly made chicken stock/broth, with 1) wong nga pak (Napa cabbage); 2) parsley & spinach.

DSCN8514-16C_1k_600.jpg

Minced pork, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, ja choi (榨菜), chilli+peanut sauce [Lao Gan Ma], oyster sauce, this-and-that, scallions. White rice.

DSCN8527b_600.jpg

This was the second meal from this prep.

Simple stir-fried/sautéed fresh broccolini [Full Hand Farm]

DSCN8529a_600.jpg

A snack.

DSCN8522aC_600.jpg

A riff on Fegato alla Veneziana (10-year balsamic was used, plus LOTS of sautéed onions) with fedelini [De Cecco] and fresh spinach inner leaves.

DSCN8540a_600.jpg

DSCN8544a_600.jpg

The calf's liver came from Claus's on one of my grocery shopping trips.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 15

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Dinner tonight was pork tenderloin SV at 135F then  seared in my cast iron pan, Berkeley mushrooms, duck fat roasted potatoes and corn that I had frozen from last year's harvest.

I love Berkley mushrooms!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Dunnknow, what are Berkeley mushers?!  Everything else on the plate looks yummers!  About to part take in sous vide round roast, 131F x 48 hours...hope it's not mushy; mashed potatoes; sautéed mushrooms, just cremini; and cheese sauced cauliflower. 

• Like 2

This week's fish share was flounder (and Faroe Island salmon, which is tomorrow's dinner). I made stewed Greek vegetables and roasted the flounder for a bit in white wine, topped with crunchy crumbs.  This good dinner made Monday more tolerable  :-)

flunder 2.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Dunnknow, what are Berkeley mushers?!  Everything else on the plate looks yummers!  About to part take in sous vide round roast, 131F x 48 hours...hope it's not mushy; mashed potatoes; sautéed mushrooms, just cremini; and cheese sauced cauliflower. 

Click

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Anna N beat me to it.  I did cut the sugar in half as I found the full amount too sweet.  But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

Ann, that looks like a very lovely fresh version of Caldo Tlapeno. Do you have a recipe? Thanks!

(btw, I have long suspected Moe is an invention, but if not, no one else on earth gets so many amazing breakfasts. I would NEVER show my husband a breakfast post of yours.)