• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Fantastically overtired, even at the fashionably late dinner hour of 2:00 am:

Grilled American rib lamb chop.  Sauteed mushrooms.  Asparagus hollandaise, piment d'Espelette.  (Note to self:  order more piment d'Espelette.)  Baguette.  Bottle of Zinfandel.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I soaked some plain old pinto beans last night, washed and drained them several times, and put them into the Crock Pot this morning with nothing but a little onion, jalapeno, salt and three pork spareribs. They cooked all day, perfuming the house with tantalizing umami all the way upstairs to the bedrooms. At dinner time, I made a pan of jalapeno cornbread. Simple, but truly one of my favorite eats.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

A snack.

DSCN8791a_600.jpg

Pork cheek tasso & (savory) pickled pork tongue [Love Handle].  Pickled (sour) cucumbers & scallions.

More of the pork tongue & tasso for other meals...

DSCN8796b_600.jpg

A ramen hack.

Some of the stuff & garnishes for it:

DSCN8797a_600.jpg

Curly-leaf rapini flowers, bunapi-shimeji, scallions, pork cheek tasso, white pepper.

The hack:

DSCN8800b_600.jpg

Done using "Ibumie Penang LadMee Perisa Lada Pedas Mi Segera" (this one) as the base.

• Like 4

wow

very interesting

more or less in the D.B.  one month ?

kept in a cold refrigerator ?

what's in the pastil bag on the R   ? trimmings ? 

Ive been thinning about the DB for some time.

what sort of NY strip did you get ?

many thanks.

Yeah, that's the trimmings.  Gotta find a way to use some of it.   It was a prime NY strip loin from Costco.  A choice would have done well but none were available at the time and I wanted to give this a try.  You lose about 40% from water loss and the trimmings.  Set on a rack in the garage fridge.  Dried nicely with no fuss.  This is my first run with the DryBags

Having the kids and BIL over for dinner so figured it was time to pull it a day earlier than the target day

commercially wet age is better, as they are selling by weight, ambiance etc.

at home, dry is much better.  indeed the very top steak houses  dry age 1/2 carcasses.  in their own walk-in's

no plastic or anything involved.

tough for us, and chains    chains are selling a lot more than meat.

Host's note: this topic is split into segments to reduce the load on our servers; the next delicious installment may be found here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)