• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Swimming in jealousy, Liuzhou.  The goose liver/eggplant dish really stood out to me.  YUM.

Anna, now it is I envying your salad.  Your dressing looks so good.

Used some more of our crawfish tails last night.  I made pasta yesterday afternoon.  And bread.  

So, a cajun alfredo of sorts.  Cream sauce with parm cheese.  Kicked up with Tony's seasoning and cayenne.  Asparagus from the garden.

photo 2.jpg

• Like 13

Inspired by Jvalentino to make chicken souvlaki.  Usually I do not add onion or green pepper to the skewers, but I had a craving for charred onions and peppers.   

Chicken%20Souvlaki%20April%2013th%2C%202

Ready for the grill.

Served with rice, Greek salad, Chickpea flat-bread and a Lebanese Garlic lemon sauce.

• Like 19

Homemade chopped chicken burgers  HM Plancha

Organic chicken breast, Franks Hot sauce, Costco Bacon, roasted garlic, Telamuck cheese

far right

Organic chicken breast, cumin, Italian seasoning, pickled sweet jalapeno , parsley , roasted garlic, capers

Middle -  Baby Tylers

Cumin , Italian seasoning

25813195893_0c5ccb5988_h.jpg

• Like 6

Its good to have Morels

The "Cantonese crispy skin chicken" posted above is a common Cantonese dish in E and SE Asia, so it isn't a particularly "special" dish. Many a place are there which are well-regarded for this dish, in HK, Kwangtung, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. The traditional style involves "roasting" (so to speak) the chicken by holding it above a large wok filled with very hot oil and ladling the oil repeatedly over the chicken held suspended above the wok. Labor intensive. Some places do it with other means, including hot "ovens" (NOT Western-style ovens).

The "garlic grilled oysters" are indeed a wonderful dish in the cuisine and are also available in suitable places in Cantonese-influenced restaurants in the West besides in E/SE Asia. You might need to ask for them, though, and pay accordingly. I had lots of them for my "Opening The Year" meal for CNY even here in Indy, which I reported about. They were big ones too. Something I regret not having more often, myself. :-( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, huiray said:

it isn't a particularly "special" dish

This one was.

I've eaten this dish many, many times, all over China including Hong Kong, in SE Asia and in England among others but never had it as good as this was. I've eaten it in Guangzhou many times but never had it as good as this.

It was truly exceptional.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chả giò rế, or Vietnamese net spring rolls with crab, prawn and woodear mushrooms. I finally found some bánh tráng rế, which are a variant of the normal rice paper discs, made out of a thin rice flour batter drizzled onto a hot pan like a 'net' and shaped into a disc. 

They're a bit flexible, so you can use them pretty much like normal spring roll wrappers, and they pleasingly shatter into a million crisp pieces in your mouth.

chagiore.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

One of my favourite fish, halibut. Made a batch of Vietnamese fish sauce to go with the fish today and tomorrow (brill).

r5Rlnpu.jpg

My favourite fish too. Love the way you prepared it.

I've never seen a halibut that small. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)

That's a brown sugar-crusted roast pork shoulder, roasted for 6 hours until it falls apart at the merest prod. With raw oyster and radish kimchi, cucumber and clam kimchis, sliced raw garlic and green chilli, and lettuce and perilla leaves to wrap it all up in. Bo ssam, baby.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Some meals.

-----------------------------------------------

A Thai-ish inspired shrimp & basil stir-fry. With white rice.

DSCN8734a_600.jpg

De-shelled, de-veined shrimps rinsed/soaked in a bowl with a slow-flow of cool tap water (v. slightly alkaline water) for a while. Flash-fried in a very hot pan w/ oil & sea salt (less than 30 sec), removed & reserved. More oil added to the pan, a stir-fry done of garlic, ginger, red Thai chillies, chopped onions, various sauces (fish sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce), some rice wine; the reserved shrimp added back in followed by trimmed Thai basil and everything tossed around till the basil just wilted in (pretty quickly).

On the way there.

DSCN8720a_400.jpgDSCN8723a_400.jpg

Plus simple stir-fried wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) w/ garlic & oil & salt.

-------------------------------------------------

Leftover braised Ngau Lam from here (scroll down), served w/ min6 sin3 (misua), a very good hand-made Taiwanese brand.

DSCN873b_600.jpg

"Big Bean" sprouts (soy bean sprouts) (大豆芽菜) stir-fried w/ scallions (plonked into the hot oil first), very hot pan.

DSCN8716b_600.jpg

---------------------------------------------

A South Indian / Malaysian-Indian style generalized chicken curry chez huiray.  With Basmati rice.

DSCN8780a_600.jpg

Finely chopped white & red onions slowly rendered down & browned in medium-hot peanut oil, w/ smashed garlic & julienned ginger as well.  Took a while. Washed fresh curry leaves (Murraya koenigii). Sauté. Powdered (coriander seed, cumin seed, turmeric, chili (generic)), whole green cardamom pods, ground black pepper, dried bay leaves, more oil, salt, "stir" and "fry" for a little bit; chopped-up chicken thigh pieces, water, stir around; red Thai chillies, stir; water, bring to simmer, cook for a while. Washed small red/yellow potatoes added in. Cooked some more. Some "coconut milk" (from the extract of "fresh" shaved coconut (from a frozen pack) agitated w/ and squeezed w/ warm water) added in, everything cooked till done. Seasoning adjusted.

Green amaranth, "Indian-type" (bought as "thotakura" (in Telugu)) sautéed with garlic in enough oil then plus a bit of garam masala, then w/ some water w/ the cover on.

DSCN8785b_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10

So pretty, Nina!

I need to do some serious dandelion foraging sharpish. I love a Ligurian recipe from one of Antonio Carluccio's cookbooks that is tortellini stuffed with wild herbs and served with a nut sauce. Pure peasant food making use of available ingredients. I generally get a bucket or two of dandelion each year and portion it out for the stuffing.

Steelhead trout baked with garlic and rosemary, roasted asparagus and orzo with peas, tomatoes, shallots, garlic and a little cream.

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Littleneck clams in  white wine, chopped shallots, garlic, cilantro and parsley, a little dried sweet basil and oregano,  served with oven crusted French bread. These beautiful local clams are on special all week, so we saved the sauce to serve with a new batch over linguini later this week. Deb's grandson calls them "quams" , so, of course, so do we.

HC

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

• Like 7