• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

All I had for dinner was potato chips, but at least I made them myself. Laminated potato chips - I mean, there are definitely better ways to spend a Saturday night than mandolining a potato into slices the thickness of silk, soaking them in salted cold water, drying each slice individually, brushing them in melted butter and topping with a sprig of dill and another silk potato slice, pressing out all the air bubbles with a finger and brushing with more melted butter, sandwiching them between two red-hot baking sheets and baking them till they're crisp and golden and buttery. And then dousing them in fine salt and crunching through them with a cold glass of riesling for the entirety of your dinner.

But there are worse ways, too.

chip6.jpg

chip5.jpg

chip4.jpg

chip1.jpg

• Like 28

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

SV'd pork chop, steamed broccoli and sauteed cherry tomatoes. 

In what do you saute your tomatoes, butter or oil? Any spices? Those look lovely.

@rarerollingobject, have mercy! Those look GORGEOUS!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

The tomatoes were sauteed in (mostly) olive oil, a minced clove of garlic and a smidgen of hot pepper flakes.   Seasoned lightly with salt and pepper.   Mostly olive oil because I ran out and had to supplement with some grapeseed.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Not the healthiest meal I've cooked in a while. but it was what I fancied at the time and I refuse to apologise.

No apology needed. As my gran always said - a bit o' what thee fancies does thee good.  

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Wild Alaskan Halibut, Part 1.

Poached in chicken stock, fresh thyme, lemon zest, lemon juice, hon-mirin [Takara],  sake [Rihaku Junmai Ginjo 'Wandering Poet'].  The halbut came from Caplinger's Fresh Catch. Good price this time, $25/lb.

With sautéed asparagus, yellow & orange sweet mini-peppers. Baby purple, yellow, red potatoes simmered in salted water then tossed w/ a nice butter [Charentes Poitou beurre demi-sel] & chopped parsley. 

Plus the "skin chip" from pan-frying the skin knifed off the piece of halibut.

At the start:

DSCN8656a_600.jpg

Brought to a simmer, with the lemon zest and other stuff (see above) added in, and the mixture simmered for a few minutes.

The halibut pieces (about a half-pound each) went in afterwards.

One of the pieces, plated w/ the asparagus & sweet peppers (sautéed separately in a pan), the potatoes (cooked separately & dressed as previously described) & garnished w/ a thyme sprig.

DSCN8659a_600.jpg

With the skin chip placed on it.

DSCN8665a_600.jpg

Eating it...

DSCN8667a_600.jpg

• Like 15

Following from the above, Wild Alaskan halibut Part 2.

The second piece of halibut, held (at RT) for the second plate.

Cipriani tagliarelle cooked in the poaching liquid (see the previous post) with water added as needed then cooking down as the pasta reached "done-ness". Plated w/ the RT halibut piece, drizzles of oil, salt, rapini flowers, parsley.

DSCN8668a_600.jpg

DSCN8670b_600.jpg

The pasta was one of the most delicious I've had and overshadowed the fish by quite a bit!

Plus chiffonaded young collard greens in chicken stock.

DSCN8672b_400.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 9

Salad.

DSCN8675b_600.jpg

Shaved green cabbage, kai-lan flowers & stems, orange & red sweet mini-peppers, asparagus, Arbosana EV olive oil [California Ranch], Maldon sea salt, ground black pepper, AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense.

Pasta in the style of the "Bluebeard Pasta". See here for a basis on which this was done. I have done this several times in past iterations that I have posted here.

DSCN8685b_600.jpg

DSCN8687b_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN8678b-80a_1kx600_comb_600.jpg

• Like 11

Toasted spaghetti with roasted bell peppers and some roasted cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, toasted almonds and peppery arugula. A little chili, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and extra black pepper.

I'll use fusilli next time, the spaghetti doesn't hold well to the roasted vegetables.

DSCF5835.JPG

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

Oven baked fries, sautéed mushers, sous vide tri tip steak with Les Halles herb butter and a salad made with garden asparagus/lettuce topped with pistachios.  The steak was a quite chewy....should have cooked it longer than 3 hours....more like 12 hours, it was work for the old jaw bone.  The fries turned out great.  Use the cut and soak for at least 4 hours method then tossed in a little duck fat and some of Ted Readers Bone Dust seasoning then into a 475F convection oven until crispy.  Notice that we have half a plate full of those beauties....one russet, all be it a very large one.:D

DSC01322.jpg

• Like 14

Forgot where I got this recipe but the key is to soak the cut fries for at least 30 minutes before drying and baking at 450 convection for around 35 minutes flipping them over half way through.  Could take a little longer and do not crowd them on the sheet pan.  I also cut them quite skinny, like MacDonalds fries size. I try to use minimal fat, just to coat.  Also, wash the starch off the cut fries then refill the container with fresh water for soaking.  Mine were soaked over night because dinner plans changed and they were fine.  I used russets.

cheers

• Like 3

image.jpegSV'd chicken breast and roasted carrots and broccoli tossed with an Asian-inspired combination of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar and sriracha.  Drizzled a little over the chicken, too.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner last night was Ma Po tofu, served with rice and stir fried veggies.

I clearly need to work on my chilli oil technique. I used 10 dried and 5 fresh birds eye chillies, and while it was damn hot, it doesn't have the distinctive red colour. 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Linguini with clam sauce  and toasted homemade garlic bread. One of our favorites. I don't cut daffodils usually, but these were just flopped over because of the

sudden cold weather, so I did.

IMG_0478.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Dinner last night was Ma Po tofu, served with rice and stir fried veggies.

I clearly need to work on my chilli oil technique. I used 10 dried and 5 fresh birds eye chillies, and while it was damn hot, it doesn't have the distinctive red colour.

The red colour in most Mapo Doufu comes from Sichuanese chilli bean paste (豆瓣酱 dòu bàn jiàng) rather than from chillies. .

Douban_jiang.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I charcoal broiled a couple of thick chuck eye steaks. It's still cold and windy, but at least it was clear, and it doesn't take long to broil off steaks because we both like 'em Pittsburgh rare. They were not the tenderest steak, but brought plenty of beefy flavor to the table. We had baked potatoes with butter, colby jack cheese, chives and sour cream, and asparagus to go with. Then I roasted some marshmallows for dessert.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

21 minutes ago, sartoric said:

I did use chilli bean paste, not that brand though. More work on this needed :)

No need to use that brand, although it is considered the best (if you can find it). Lee Kum Kee's is OK.

More important is how much you use. Fuchsia Dunlop suggests 2½ Tablespoons for 500g tofu. I might up that to 3!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ordered a 15 lb. bag of crawfish from Cajun Grocer.  Ohhhhhh soooooo gooooooooood.

P4091221.JPG

photo.jpg

They were very lively...we only found 2 dead ones in the whole bag.

P4091222.JPG

I like to throw a bunch of stuff in my boil....corn on the cob, garlic cloves, brussels sprouts, sausages, hot dogs, broccoli......and of course the requisite lemons and onions.

P4091225.JPG

P4091226.JPG

Lots left over...going to be peeling for a while today.  I see crawfish pasta and crawfish pie in our future :)

• Like 21