• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Happy Hour (4 to 8 pm) at Sam's Blind Pelican, 1628 St. Charles, New Orleans, where you can get a dozen of the most wonderful char broiled oysters for $8.50. We took our time, but managed to march through 3 orders and probably an entire loaf of warm French bread before taking the street car back to our hotel.

HC

P4040060.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

Mmmmm, those oysters and crusty bread look wonderful, @HungryChris!  Is that maybe a chilled glass of crisp white wine on the side? I would certainly be pleased to call that "happy hour" my dinner and go home happy!

A roasted chicken thigh glazed with mustard and lemon-rosemary marmalade, brown rice and steamed broccoli dressed with this crème fraîche and preserved lemon dressing from Saveur that I had leftover from my salad at lunch.

IMG_2735.jpg 

• Like 14

Tonight I ate rather late, which is my pathetic excuse for the photograph being crap. Tired, hungry and bad light. Or incompetence. But it tasted OK.

Pan fried sea bass fillet with asparagus and rice.

IMG_8675.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mushroom risotto, used portobello and dehydrated porcini. It's a classic for a reason.

When cooking dry and fresh mushrooms together, I usually skip soaking the dry mushrooms in water, as they will absorb plenty of moisture released by the fresh mushrooms.

20160402_141728.jpg20160402_141839.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

Fantastic looking meals everyone!  Here are my lamb chops from the other night with Israeli couscous and roasted okra.  I have never cooked this large style of couscous before and of course I over did them.  DH said "life's too short to eat mushy Israeli couscous" so it went in the bind.  Next time I watched it like a hawk and caught it just before it went over.....I immediately spread it out on a sheet pan and set it outside to cool quickly.DSC01312.jpg

Last night we had the crab and ricotta filled cannelloni.  Some pictures of assembly but of course I forgot to take a picture of it plated with the dreamy tomato-butter sauce.  I need a new camera.....the kind that will download pictures without having to take the memory card out each time.

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

As appetizers we had some 'dahl patties'.  Never made these before either:  soak moong, chana and urad dahl overnight.  Blend with water, coconut, spices and a little baking powder.  Then deep fry.  Weren't greasy at all and what a healthy appetizer.  Served with Egullet tomato chutney and some coriander chutney.

DSC01313.jpgDSC01314.jpg

• Like 17

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mmmmm, those oysters and crusty bread look wonderful, @HungryChris!  Is that maybe a chilled glass of crisp white wine on the side? I would certainly be pleased to call that "happy hour" my dinner and go home happy!

As a matter of fact it was a crisp white, but I had to switch because even though it was "happy hour", that crisp white cost more than the oysters. Who knew?

HC

• Like 4

@BonVivant

Wow I don't know whether to ask for a slice or arrange for it to be hung in a gallery.   It is beautiful. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann_T that is gorgeous halibut!

Sunday I made seafood far diavolo for my sister's birthday dinner

fra diavolo.jpg

And then last night I made Thai flavored tuna burgers with dipping sauce, rice and bok choy/snow peas.  

thai tuna burgers.jpg

I was not expecting to get my usual fish share yesterday because of the bad weather, but the boats did go out, so we are having the share fish tonight. This week I got redfish/ocean perch.

• Like 17

Some simple homely meals.

Kon Lo Mein, that night's version.

DSCN8633a_600.jpg

Skinny wonton noodles, tossed w/ this iteration of sauce** and bowled w/ Japanese-style chasu (see here) & very briefly blanched (oiled water) baby yu choy sum, chopped scallions, white pepper.

** Chopped smashed garlic, medium-hot peanut oil, till just beginning to brown; quench w/ a mixture of {double-fermented soy sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaohsing wine, sesame oil, white pepper, crushed rock sugar, sea salt...(I might be missing one or two things...)}

Pork spare ribs, fuzzy squash, wood-ear fungus, garlic soup.  Seasoned to taste.  With glass noodles, cooked separately w/ several ladles of the soup, then bowled with some of the soup+stuff.

DSCN8627b_600.jpg

Not entirely sure why the riblet meat turned out reddish at the end.

Plain lap cheong plonked into the cooking pot of rice+water; a good soy sauce drizzled over the lap cheong pieces as the water dropped to the level of the rice. Flash-stirfried-sautéed broccolini. Simple steamed beaten eggs mixed w/ chicken stock & chopped scallions (white parts). Darn, I got distracted for 30 secs while steaming the eggs.

DSCN8644a_600.jpg

Fried rice.

DSCN8647a_600.jpg

Leftover lap cheong & rice from above. Peanut oil, garlic, flowering Chinese chives, cabbage, eggs, scallions. Plated w/ spinach.

• Like 13

Our dinner last night was materially assisted (without her knowledge) by @Tere, who very kindly over here posted this link to a step-by-step 'how to make Heston's triple-cooked chips' recipe.

I've done them several times before following (I think) the Big Fat Duck Book but the results have been variable.  The linked article somehow seems to codify the process more exactly, and yesterday's results were real beauties - definitely the best I've done.  Thanks, Tere.

The rest of the meal was a piece of fillet steak, SV for a couple hours then seared, accompanied by some nice sautéed vegetables.  Pretty simple (if we ignore the triple-cooking process!), pretty good.  No photo, sorry.

• Like 9

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Felt more like summer than spring yesterday (27°C) so I tried something fresh/healthier to keep the vibe going a little longer (the forecast said rain and temperature drop for today and so far it held true)...

Vegetable soup (spinach, peas, edamame, broad beans, pea shoots) + baguette

25664283903_dc8e55717d.jpg

• Like 15

Vlcatko

We had spare ribs done in the oven in Eastern NC barbecue sauce, because it was cold outside. I'm not saying how cold so as not to offend those who have reported snow and shockingly cold weather from further north, :) but our poor strawberry and other farmers are busier than one-armed paper hangers trying to save their crops as I type this. I baked the ribs low and slow in a covered CorningWare casserole dish for several hours and then broiled to crisp them up. While cooking the ribs, I also had an open casserole of baked beans going in the oven too. These are the beans I like to serve with ribs that have canned whole tomatoes, lots of sliced white onion, ketchup and mustard added. Then they are topped with raw pretty lean bacon pieces and baked until they are quite reduced, caramelized and delicious. I also toasted off some bread, but didn't butter it, because there was already plenty of pork fat in this meal. We preceded it with a spinach and Roma tomato salad.

We'll have the leftover ribs and beans tomorrow with some lovely sugar and butter corn in the husk I found yesterday.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

Acadian redfish/ocean perch with green olive risotto and lemon-dill butter.  These fish filets are really small--maybe three ounces before cooking?  This is my plate, I only had one filet, but my husband and brother in law ate three.  

redfish.jpg

• Like 16

image.jpeg

I spotted a recipe for collard greens and kimchi on The Kitchn. As a huge kimchi fan I knew I would have to make it. Unfortunately there were no collard greens to be had but Swiss chard made a satisfactory substitute. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Salmon with an apple juice/honey glaze over sautéed spinach, very plain potatoes with parsley and a salad with pears and pecans among other things. The salmon was very good - my local grocery had salmon on sale but when I got there they had run out of the sale variety (the regular - I think Atlantic? variety) so the nice fish guy first said 'come back tomorrow' but then offerred me some sockeye at the sale price. The regular price for the sockeye was almost twice the sale price. It pays to be nice to the fish guy. 

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

I don't have a picture of Monday's dinner but it was chicken breast breaded in chopped pecans and panko with  a sauce of shallots, reduced apple juice and a little cream, caramelized apple slices, rice and a salad. 

• Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina