• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Beautiful fresh pistachios and the labour of love to peel them; in a cauliflower, parsley and mint tabbouleh, with radishes, preserved lemon, marigold petals and pomegranate.

Because my dinner LAST night was a Korean deep-fried cheesy potato tornado pork bomb, and you can't eat those every day of the week.

tab3.jpg

tab2.jpg

tab1.jpg

• Like 23

image.jpeg

Thanks to @ElainaA for suggesting the Julie Sahni recipe for Gobhi Matar Rasedar (potatoes and cauliflower in a curry sauce).  

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Beautiful fresh pistachios and the labour of love to peel them; in a cauliflower, parsley and mint tabbouleh, with radishes, preserved lemon, marigold petals and pomegranate.

tab1.jpg

That is a stunning work of art!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

That is a beautiful salad, RRO.  Almost too pretty to eat.

Norm, I'd like to peel off a big piece of that chicken skin and eat it :)

Ronnie came home with a couple of huge packages of chicken livers and gizzards so I had to fry them, dang it lol.

photo 1.jpg

Last night my pressure cookers got a good workout.  Ribs in the IP.  Broccoli rice and cheese in the IP.  And, I had homemade baked beans in the Quis. that I couldn't wait to try.....unfortunately after 3 rounds of 30 mins the beans were still tough so no beans for us last night.  They are currently cooking again.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 13

This is another batch of hummus, made using the second half of the chickpeas I cooked earlier this week. Having an empty stove, I decided to cook fava beans for topping mature and dry, not green). A long slow swimmer, assisted with a little baking soda, gives the beans a dark color, soft texture and a rich earthy-savory flavor. Also hard boiled a couple of eggs in the same pot as the beans. Also some lemony tahini sauce. Parsley, plenty of cumin, paprika and good sharp olive oil.

DSCF5588.JPG3DSCF5587.JPG

The few remaining chickpeas where coated with a little oil and baked until browned, dried and crisp. Tossed to coat with curry powder, chili and very little sugar. Makes a nice healthy snack. It is also good with yogurt.

20160403_195844.jpg20160403_195854.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

Semolina dumplings (I used a Hungarian recipe), though it is not supposed to look like this. Grilled Belgian endives and Turkish garlicky sausages.

The weather is getting better now.  Soft sun light is still visible in the photos at dinner time.

W6n37lA.jpg

cCS1P8w.jpg

• Like 13

yes, almost all blossoms are edible, some people say the stems are not, but I survived ;-) stuffing is mainly sago with little mushroom, some onions and parmesan. put into the flower and steamed, served with pea mash

• Like 3

Jerk chicken cooked with grapefruit wood smoke from an old tree that didn't make it.  Cooked the peppers and onions on the grill in a cast iron pan. Rice and "peas" on the side along with braised greens.  Ya man, it hit the spot!

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Last night, refrigerator cleanout with wings leftover from Friday's carryout, and broccoli left from earlier in the week, along with a caprese.

leftovers.JPG

Today (midday because that's "dinner" on Sundays), a veggie feast, since the produce stand opened for the season Friday.

veggie dinner.JPG

Clockwise from 1 o'clock, fried okra, sweet corn I froze last summer, crookneck squash sauteed with onion, zucchini fritter, and cornbread. The two girls and I pretty much decimated everything. I'm still full, four hours later.

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Roast tenderloin, mushrooms, cauliflower007a.jpg

Braised short rib and acorn squash

009.jpg   

Lamb chops, braised arugula, mashed yams

0081.jpg

Braised short rib with Asian 5-spice and cauliflower

269.jpg

Bratwurst with braised cabbage and bacon and lightly pickled al dente cauliflower

312.jpg

• Like 20

On 29/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Ann, that looks like a very lovely fresh version of Caldo Tlapeno. Do you have a recipe? Thanks!

(btw, I have long suspected Moe is an invention, but if not, no one else on earth gets so many amazing breakfasts. I would NEVER show my husband a breakfast post of yours.) 

Katie, sorry, I just saw your comments.  

Moe is real.  And he loves breakfast.

Mexican Chicken Rice Soup (Caldo Tlapeno)

I love the Tequila House's chicken rice soup and after having it
the first time, I came home and made my own version. 

Cook a couple of chicken breasts in homemade chicken broth.  (Or use your favourite brand). 

To serve, spoon some cooked rice into the bowl, add the cut up chicken breast and broth and garnish with fresh chopped tomato, onion, a piece of chipotle pepper, avocado, cubes of Monterrey Jack cheese,
cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. 

NOTE: Do not substitute another pepper. It is the Chipotle pepper that makes this soup special. I just  rinse the adobo sauce off a canned chipotle and use that. But you could probably use a dried chipotle pepper.

• Like 3

Picked up a fresh organic turkey after Easter. Just a little 12 pounder.  

Turkey%20April%201st%2C%202016-XL.jpg 

Presalted it and  then roasted it Friday morning before leaving for work. I wanted 

hot turkey sandwiches for dinner.

Turkey%20drippings%20April%201st%2C%2020

Pan went back into the oven to brown the drippings.

Turkey%20Gravy%20April%201st%2C%202016-X

Made a big pot of rich turkey gravy.

Turkey%20Hot%20Sandwich%20with%20Gravy%2

This was one of the best tasting turkeys.  The only thing I would have done different is to make fries instead of mashed potatoes.   We traditionally have fries with this

meal, but after I got home from work , I decided that mashed potatoes would be easier.   And they were, BUT, should have went with fries.   Just not the same

with mashed potatoes. 

• Like 20

Amazing meals, everyone! I will have to go back to the previous thread and see what other wonders I missed while I was away :D

Clean-out-the-fridge salad with wheat-rye bread with hazelnuts

25006582974_d883979ba0.jpg 24983672223_f26124ab3b.jpg

SV duck breast, potato-chestnut mash, salad

25151849654_e756d382d9.jpg

Breakfast for dinner - soft boiled egg, fried potatoes, bread (from above) with mustard and spring onions, radishes

25481339950_3f72b9bd03.jpg

Escolar, pak choi and asparagus tips

25068234104_6874b002ea.jpg

Scotch eggs (from 63°C duck eggs) and salad with Dijon-yogurt dressing

26102418146_d19609b53b.jpg

SV + roasted pork belly with apple sauce, crackling crumb and white bread

25203655763_a5182f15fe.jpg

(all M&S, the leftovers made a killer sandwich!)

Penne alla carbonara with mangetout and pea shoots

26148352986_bbd00ede9e.jpg

Baked salmon on mizuna salad

26168796316_97273a242f.jpg

Couscous with vegetables and turkey curry

26133263632_ef4d9dc820.jpg

• Like 17

Vlcatko

Tonight, I started off with freshly home baked olive bread dipped in EVOO.

obo.jpg

Followed by Penne with a Duck Ragu. There was an asparagus and maitake mushroom salad on the side which I seem to have forgotten to photograph.

penne.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Anna,  Your potato cauliflower looks delicious.    Julie Sahni is my go too for Indian recipes. Love that recipe.

Shelby, I'll skip the gizzards, but would love some of your chicken livers.

Scubadoo, I haven't had Jerk chicken in a while.  That looks sooooo goood!!! 

Halibut%20April%203rd%2C%202016-XL.jpg

Picked up fresh halibut on the way home from work tonight.

Halibut%20April%203rd%2C%202016%201-XL.j

Served on a bed of orzo with butter, garlic a little cream and parmesan cheese and zucchini ribbons.

• Like 16

Geez, I go to bed and all these mouthwatering pictures appear!

Kay, I'm dying for some fried okra.  I will have to wait a few months sigh.

Gfweb, your meats always look cooked to perfection.  

Ann, you're killing me.  The hot turkey...wish I had that right now.

Vlcatko, all your dishes look wonderful but that scotch egg jumped out at me.  YUM!

Liuzhou, WOW on the olive bread.  I might have to make some of that.

Ronnie went fishing in our river yesterday and came home with a catfish and some drum.  So, fried fish, mac and cheese and baked beans.

photo.JPG

• Like 11

@Ann_T

Orzo is my all-time favourite pasta and that halibut looks so perfectly cooked!  I stare longingly at the halibut but know that even a single serving would cost me groceries for a week with no guarantee that it's fresh!  I do envy those with (easy) access to fresh seafood. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Mushroom melt.  

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog