• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

@liuzhou  That's a lot like our last night's dinner. No picture  - grilled salmon with onions and balsamic vinegar, whole steamed artichoke and rice with toasted pine nuts.

I love artichokes but I can't help but wonder who in the world 1. first saw them as edible and 2. figured out how to eat them?  ("Hey! See that big bud on that thistle? I bet if we steamed it, pulled off each leaf, dipped it in something and pulled it between our teeth it would taste great!" "Yeah, right....")

• Like 7

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Last night I made top sirloin, cooked SV to 130F and then seared with the torch.  Usually I do a fairly light sear.  This time I wanted to see how a heavier sear would be and it was just fine.  The meat didn't get any pre-seasoning at all.  Nice crust and still medium rare throughout.  Served with a combination of steamed parsnips and Brussels sprouts with butter, salad and a glass of red zinfandel.

sirloin.jpg.c6eccc83464fc91abf1e41a1936c

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

One of the few failures I've had from NYT recipes: Cod cakes, with roasted Brussels sprouts and wild rice. I may have poached the cod too long, but the cakes were dry and tough.

Oh, well. You wins a few, you loses a few, and some gets rained out.

56f59d496ee17_codcakes.jpg.25d1b670f0d9a

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My daughter is visiting from grad school and she requested meatloaf, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy for the potatoes.  I also made a salad.  Here is the meatloaf (didn't get to snap the rest).

meatloaf4.jpg.68a344454eded0b3ef0ca6a7fd

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

52 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

My daughter is visiting from grad school and she requested meatloaf, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy for the potatoes.  I also made a salad.  Here is the meatloaf (didn't get to snap the rest).

meatloaf4.jpg.68a344454eded0b3ef0ca6a7fd

Yum. Meatloaf sandwiches today?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

:):) When my daughter was in school -undergrad and grad school - that was always the menu she asked for when she came home, minus the mushroom gravy (she always topped her mashed potatoes with sour cream - probably still does). Meatloaf and mashed  potatoes one day and pasta with pesto the next. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

18 hours ago, kayb said:

RRO, that's gorgeous. I've never been quite brave enough to attempt my own sushi.

Thanks for your kind words, all!

@kayb, that's what's so good about temari sushi..it's so easy and not that finicky. Just put a slice on fish and some sushi rice on a sheet of cling film/saran wrap and twist it tight into a ball, done. No shaping or rolling or fiddling (other than the inordinate fiddling to which I went to garnishing the things, but that's just me gilding the lily.)

35 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Down the hatch, while standing at the kitchen sink, covered in sushi rice up to the elbows. Glamorous, huh?

The spoils of the chef ... still envious.