• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

I have had a really nice tuna steak frozen for a long time...too long actually.  It wasn't freezer burned but the texture was a bit mushy after I thawed it out.  My intent was to make sushi but time ticked away and before I knew it I was too lazy to make it lol.  Then I remembered seeing a sushi "bowl" online somewhere so I did that.  I surprised myself.  It was really good.  I made the sushi rice in the Instant Pot.  To the diced tuna I added mayo and Sriracha.  I got some lettuce out of the greenhouse, some garlic chive from the garden, ribboned a carrot, cut some nori into strips and diced a cherry tomato.  A dash of soy sauce over everything and a sprinkle of shichimi togarashi. 

P3201208.JPG.6f167e6a6b532b2143c04874f4c

• Like 12

@Shelby

Fabulous (or at least it would have been without tuna!)  One fish I cannot get past fresh, frozen, or canned.  But a rice bowl? Now you're speaking my language.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you AnnT, looks like your roasts :-))

I followed the Cooks Illustrated slow roast method:  Meat is well seared; I put some steak spices over the meat (afterwards I saw somewhere to brush the meat with egg whites so the spices stick better which I will try next time); popped it in the oven at the requisite 250F; the temperature was going up really fast so I reduced the temperature to 220F; it was a 4 lb roast and the recipe said it would take 3 to 3 1/2 hours which I a bunch of bunk because mine was done (124F) two hours.  I wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler until the Yorkies were done.  Red wine reduction over the Yorkies.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I have had a really nice tuna steak frozen for a long time...too long actually.  It wasn't freezer burned but the texture was a bit mushy after I thawed it out.  

could you have poached the steaks in a flavorful broth then used them to make either a salad or pasta sauce?  

When I grew up we used whatever fish was leftover to make our fish salad ...... just a thought for the future.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

51 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Okanagancook, You can tell it was roasted and not SV'd.  Appearance is much more appealing. 

I'm hooked on the high heat method, but maybe next time I'll give your slow method a try.  Been a long time since I've used that method. 

Can you elaborate on your high heat method?  It would be fun to try it and compare.

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Thank you AnnT, looks like your roasts :-))

I followed the Cooks Illustrated slow roast method:  Meat is well seared; I put some steak spices over the meat (afterwards I saw somewhere to brush the meat with egg whites so the spices stick better which I will try next time); popped it in the oven at the requisite 250F; the temperature was going up really fast so I reduced the temperature to 220F; it was a 4 lb roast and the recipe said it would take 3 to 3 1/2 hours which I a bunch of bunk because mine was done (124F) two hours.  I wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler until the Yorkies were done.  Red wine reduction over the Yorkies.

Okanagancook

I tested that recipe but don't remember an egg white wash.  Salted , patted dry, tied herbs around the meat then slow cooked.  Came out beautifully..took about 2.5 hours with a 30 minute rest later.  One of the best ways I have found to come out with a perfectly cook medium rare.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Wow! I look away from this thread for a couple of days and am over whelmed by the amazing meals.

Last night was "California Chinese" from Barbara Tropp's China Moon - a book that I used to use a lot and somehow forgot about. Definately not traditional but I have liked everything I cooked from it. This was pork with peanuts, Napa cabbage, green beans, carrots, red peppers and tree ears. Over rice. I picked up some frozen dumplings at my last visit to an Asian market so we had some of those too.

DSC00815.thumb.jpg.02bb01e7016befa24076a:(

Saturday was a potato and cabbage gratin - recipe from the NY Times. I was disappointed with this - it was a bit watery and very under seasoned. Luckily my husband liked it just fine and finished it off for lunch the next day. The salad was beets,goat cheese,fennel, red onion and pecans over endive and romaine. The best part of the meal, in my opinion.

DSC00812.thumb.jpg.cd3a9eb94865f851bb1aa

I just took a tray of roasted tomatoes out of the oven. They'll be part of tonight's dinner. The 2 lighter ones in the middle started out bright yellow. I've noticed that my yellow tomatoes turn orange or even red when cooked. The tomato chutney I made with yellow tomatoes looked exactly like the batch made with red ones. I'm getting near the end of the tomatoes I canned last September form my garden and it's only March! :(

DSC00818.thumb.jpg.215ffb6bb56be8df8e549

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Okanagancook

I tested that recipe but don't remember an egg white wash.  Salted , patted dry, tied herbs around the meat then slow cooked.  Came out beautifully..took about 2.5 hours with a 30 minute rest later.  One of the best ways I have found to come out with a perfectly cook medium rare.

The recipe didn't mention the egg white wash.  I meant that I had seen this technique elsewhere and it would have been nice to use it to get the spices to stick to the outside of my roast.  It is a great method but one has to keep an eye on the internal temperature.  It is so moist done this way.

Egg yolks cured in gochujang (Korean chilli paste), soy sauce, garlic and honey, with chopped short rib, browned in the leftover yolk marinade, and green onion. On rice.

I really love curing egg yolks; it turns them to something so deliciously unctuous and chewy and multi textured.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d6ddbe29d1ec0acf07b1d1

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 11

Various recent meals.

Prosciutto Rossa [La Quercia via Goose the Market], braised beef tongue [Love Handle], epi loaf [Brotgarten].

DSCN8454a_600.jpg.13a1d693e874c9fca26cd7

DSCN8458a_600.jpg.dccde94a6b4df62d621ecc

DSCN8462a_600.jpg.02c613b59525dd351a2d04

Eaten as-is with the bread. Nothing else needed.

Spinach [Full Hand Farm], asparagus, parsley, Arbosana ev olive oil [California Olive Ranch], AgroDolce Bianco Condimento Alimentare [Delizia Estense], black pepper.

ETA: Plus Maldon sea salt.

DSCN8464b_600.jpg.c0b6ff6b79d4de8027f275

Pan-fried barely floured (plus salt & pepper) fresh local smelts [via Goose the Market]. Bulldog sauce.

DSCN8467a_600.jpg.f236eeb9d9befb5f4871fa

Faroe Islands salmon: marinated w/ mustard+thyme+etc then pan-fried. Wild rice [Bineshii], cooked w/ just enough water + very light salting so that it is cooked w/ basically almost all water absorbed/simmered down. Pan sauces made w/ leftover marinade + pan fond and also included deglazing w/ Brumont 2014 tannat-syrah-merlot rosé splashed in a few times from the glass in my hand. :-) 

Sautéed asparagus, blue oyster mushrooms [Shamrock Farm], parsley.

DSCN8474b_600.jpg.0df3ed45b861ccdc0ed0eb

DSCN8475a_600.jpg.127240fb61665e350c102f

Jamaican beef patties. [Patties of Jamaica]  Yum.

DSCN8480-81C_600.jpg.6a4c7abca53a78b229e

Sautéed broccolini [Full Hand Farm] – done in the pan after sautéeing the guanciale w/ residual oil in the pan, no further salt.

Pasta Carbonara. (2 egg yolks + 1 egg [Schacht farm eggs], grated Pecorino Romano, lots of ground black pepper, stir; cooled-to-RT sautéed cubed guanciale [Smoking Goose] + the rendered fat, stir; dripping-wet warm linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] straight from the cooking pot (minimally salted water (the guanciale is salty enough)). Immediately stir and fold vigorously. That's it. Plated w/ more Pecorino Romano.

DSCN8487a_600.jpg.53074f7229bc255271293e

DSCN8484b_600.jpg.f2063e184f4b58295ae11a

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 12

13 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Egg yolks cured in gochujang (Korean chilli paste), soy sauce, garlic and honey, with chopped short rib, browned in the leftover yolk marinade, and green onion. On rice.

I really love curing egg yolks; it turns them to something so deliciously unctuous and chewy and multi textured.

I have eggs; I have gochujang. How does one cure an egg yolk, please?

@huiray, I have only ever eaten beef tongue in Japan. The taste was fine, but it was tremendously chewy. How is the texture of that shown in your photo?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@huiray, I have only ever eaten beef tongue in Japan. The taste was fine, but it was tremendously chewy. How is the texture of that shown in your photo?

Tender. Not unlike well (and properly) cooked corned beef. Succulent.

ETA: BTW, if you have only had beef tongue in Japan and it was tough as shit, then I wonder about the provenances of the place you ate in, and/or what the place you ate in wanted to feature in their food, or what they thought they could get away with in regards to a non-Japanese diner.

Edited by huiray (log)

2 hours ago, huiray said:

Tender. Not unlike well (and properly) cooked corned beef. Succulent.

ETA: BTW, if you have only had beef tongue in Japan and it was tough as shit, then I wonder about the provenances of the place you ate in, and/or what the place you ate in wanted to feature in their food, or what they thought they could get away with in regards to a non-Japanese diner.

It was a small place in Fukushima, which specialized in beef tongue. We were asked where we wanted to eat, and just said, "a local favorite," and that's where our guides took us. I didn't object to the taste at all, but it was just very chewy -- put me in mind of poorly prepared calamari.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night was Singapore  Mei Fun, styled after a local takeout place ( Foon Ying), that my stepdad really likes. I made them less spicy than they do, but overall turned out very nice.

• Like 4

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

big chopped salad for later with tomatoes, black olives, red onion and a vinaigrette.....along with a small lasagna made with a "cheese" made with drained Lactaid cottage cheese rather than ricotta.

• Like 4

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night I made a char siu pork tenderloin.  Dry rubbed with char siu mix and cooked SV for 5 hours at 145F.  Then dried and coated with honey and seared with the Sansaire Searing Kit torch.  Sliced and used is a stir fry.

char-siu-torch.jpg.8b5497acff54d083eb3bf

char-siu-stir.jpg.2ab1c469ebf6f7c90f967b

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Last night: Bruschetta with oven roasted tomatoes, seasoned fresh ricotta, red onion, parsley, oregano and olive oil. Pasta with pancetta, onions, parsley and parmesan. The onions were cooked with the pancetta very slowly for about 45 minutes until they super creamy and sweet. Also a salad. The pasta isn't exactly exciting to look at but it tasted very good. 

DSC00820.thumb.jpg.5409ea2aa6eaec6dc0aab

DSC00822.thumb.jpg.c2e40df54b13fb013ee2d

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

Bruschetta with oven roasted tomatoes, seasoned fresh ricotta, red onion, parsley, oregano and olive oil.

Those bruschetta look beautiful.  I'd be happy to have a couple of them and a glass of wine and call it dinner!

• Like 2

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Those bruschetta look beautiful.  I'd be happy to have a couple of them and a glass of wine and call it dinner!

Thank you! Although the pasta was good, I basically ate bruschetta and salad (and, yes, wine). My husband on the other hand..........  :P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kayb said:

I have eggs; I have gochujang. How does one cure an egg yolk, please?

Whisk together 2 tbsp of gochujang, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of honey and a clove or two of crushed garlic in a small bowl; separate some yolks and slip them into the bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 nights. Swirl the bowl gently from time to time to make sure the tops get covered in the marinade. That's it.

Other times I just use one or two tablespoons of soy sauce and an equal quantity of mirin, for a plainer but no less delicious version.

• Like 4

Noodle soup with tofu puffs from yesterday.

hFFbd6M.jpg

And this is yesterday. I like to cook once, eat twice. Stuffed tofu with mince, wood ear mushrooms and preserved veg.

0elSbhz.jpg

Half of the batch had loads of Sichuan peppercorns in the mince.

IZI6qsU.jpg

Dried bamboo shoots* and preserved Chinese veg (in a package) were also braised alongside the pork belly. Sherry and tamari. (*must be soaked and boiled before using)

Unmlbuf.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10