• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Host's note: this topic is part of an extended series that is broken into segments to reduce load on our servers.  The previous segment may be found here.

Early afternoon dinner. Maklouba (Arabic for upside-down). An hearty rice dish with homemade baharat spice mix (mostly cumin, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper and turmeric). Roasted eggplant slices, cauliflower and carrot slices. Also plenty of chickpeas and caramelized onion. I usually top it with pine nuts, but opted for ewe milk feta this time. The common preparation is to fry the vegetables, but this results in a dish that is too rich and oily to my taste, so I roast them. It is also very common to add chicken, which I do not.

20160312_144548.thumb.jpg.545943fd24785420160312_144351.thumb.jpg.7eb46699fb996d

Cold ouzo with spearmint makes a lovely digestif a warm afternoon.

20160312_153218.thumb.jpg.5a8d10f61ec720

Edit:

I posted the recipe in another thread:

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 13

~ Shai N.

Beef stew made with ends of tri-tips that I cut into steaks.  Tri-tip, carrots, celery, onion, potato, parsnips, peas, mushrooms and barley.  Made in the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker.  

tt-stew.jpg.0eb4533dee78100f41aa12a55e20

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a331675344716cbf306c9

Sous vide chuck eye and roasted carrots, parsnips and potatoes. 

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Sartoric, lovely noodle bowl.  You might want to put that on the Ramen cook off thread?

Hungrychris, Your scallops always look perfect.  

RRO, jealous of your seafood.  Would love to see more pictures sometime.

Ann, I'll trade you livers for your bread :)  Now I'm hungry for a tuna sandwich! 

SV BBQ pork sandwiches on homemade white bread last night.  My pickles that I made last summer on the side.  Gotta get a move on and eat 'em up...'bout time for more cucumbers :)

photo.JPG.43901ba351baa8c98cd124930c3dbb

SV changed how I felt about BBQ. Even the best stuff was a little dry and rescued only by sauce. Done SV, you  can just spice the pork and it remains juicy and flavorful

• Like 3

This is salted egg yolk prawns, a Malaysian dish. You steam salted duck egg yolks, mash them and then fry them in butter with chillis, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and shallots until the yolks are foamy, and then coat crispy deep fried prawns in this sauce. Eaten with steamed Chinese broccoli and white rice.

If you don't immediately recognise the end product as prawns, it's because of my Staunch Prawn Preparation Opinions, which are as follows:

1. Always remove tail. Tail-on prawns just annoy me. Presentation is nicer, yes, but this is dinner and I ain't playing.

2. Except in very rare cases, I prefer shell off. I do like when prawn shells go crispy, but with a soft, wet sauce, it's hard to keep them crispy enough, so shell off is better.

3. I prefer head on. (Australian prawns are always sold head on).

4. I would rather de-face the prawn, ie. cut off the sharp prongs, whiskers, eyes, and front legs with scissors. Less stabby and fewer eye-balls.

5. Always devein and butterfly.

So in sum, my preference is face off, head on, shell off, butterflied, tail off. Phew! See? Staunch.

yolk2.thumb.jpg.989f7441775db9bf16057450

yolk.jpg.67a9083780caf1cb58ea257cb85721f

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

This is salted egg yolk prawns, a Malaysian dish. You steam salted duck egg yolks, mash them and then fry them in butter with chillis, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and shallots until the yolks are foamy, and then coat crispy deep fried prawns in this sauce. Eaten with steamed Chinese broccoli and white rice.

If you don't immediately recognise the end product as prawns, it's because of my Staunch Prawn Preparation Opinions, which are as follows:

1. Always remove tail. Tail-on prawns just annoy me. Presentation is nicer, yes, but this is dinner and I ain't playing.

2. Except in very rare cases, I prefer shell off. I do like when prawn shells go crispy, but with a soft, wet sauce, it's hard to keep them crispy enough, so shell off is better.

3. I prefer head on. (Australian prawns are always sold head on).

4. I would rather de-face the prawn, ie. cut off the sharp prongs, whiskers, eyes, and front legs with scissors. Less stabby and fewer eye-balls.

5. Always devein and butterfly.

So in sum, my preference is face off, head on, shell off, butterflied, tail off. Phew! See? Staunch.

yolk2.thumb.jpg.989f7441775db9bf16057450

yolk.jpg.67a9083780caf1cb58ea257cb85721f

Do you still take dinner appointments ? It's just a 10h flight, I guess ...

• Like 2

My riff on Porco à Alentejana (pork in the style of Alentejo). I prefer razors or almond clams in this dish. Sauce is not tomato, it's massa de pimentão / red pepper paste.

XiIKis2.jpg

Bread to mop up all that nice sauce of course.

FNx9ez4.jpg

• Like 11

On 3/9/2016 at 8:21 PM, huiray said:

Soybeans.

Taucheo.

Kangkong.

Stir-fry w/ garlic as well.

Thanks!

On 3/9/2016 at 10:22 AM, Kim Shook said:

kayb – that corn looks great!  What’s your secret?

This is Silver Queen corn I froze last summer. I dumped a pint carton of mostly-thawed corn in a skillet with 1/4 stick of melted butter, let it saute/steam over medium heat until the water from the corn is all cooked away (there is quite a bit of water put off by the thawed corn) and all the kernels are well coated in butter. Added about 1/3 cup milk, and let that cook mostly away as well, on medium low heat with the lid on. Let it go just a bit too long, and actually got some browned bits, but that didn't bother me.

There is NO corn any better than Silver Queen. Right, @Shelby?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

56e5e8ab9b493_chickendinner.png.bac27d11

Tried to add this to the previous post and it didn't wish me to do so, so here's the first time I've been in the kitchen since last Wednesday. Sunday dinner for the kids: roast chicken, corn casserole ( @Kim Shook, it's the Jiffy one!), green peas, baked beans. Simple, easy, good.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Best fried rice recipe ever; curry fried rice, with crispy garlic and ginger, well-browned beef and onions, lashings of garlic/ginger oil, curry powder, dashi granules, 6 melted Japanese curry bricks and a tablespoon of cocoa(!). And an egg yolk and a little slice of butter. From here: http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/26/gold-on-gold-curry-fried-rice-eng/

curryruce.thumb.jpg.4adee81a52babff004fe

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Best fried rice recipe ever; curry fried rice, with crispy garlic and ginger, well-browned beef and onions, lashings of garlic/ginger oil, curry powder, dashi granules, 6 melted Japanese curry bricks and a tablespoon of cocoa(!). And an egg yolk and a little slice of butter. From here: http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/26/gold-on-gold-curry-fried-rice-eng/

curryruce.thumb.jpg.4adee81a52babff004fe

Wow, looks totally devourable.

Thanks for the link, I've subscribed to the blog. What an interesting use of packaged curry. I must get some.

• Like 1