• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Maklouba

shain

Maklouba (Arabic for upside-down). An hearty rice dish with baharat spice mix (mostly cumin, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper and turmeric). Roasted eggplant slices, cauliflower and carrot slices. Also plenty of chickpeas and caramelized onion. Topped with toasted pine nuts.

It may sound involved, but it is an easy dish to make.

The common preparation is to fry the vegetables, but this results in a dish that is too rich and oily to my taste, so I roast them. It is also very common to add chicken, which I do not. If you do eat chicken, it is possible to add it, use roasted chicken thighs instead of some of the vegetables (make sure not to over cook them, as they will steam further in the rice). 

Rice can be boiled in water, or for better flavor, in chicken or vegetable stock. If using stock, there is no need to discard it after cooking the rice in it, it can be used later. The rice starch will give it some extra body.

Make sure to use a non-stick pot or to grease it well. I use an anodized aluminium pot which works wonders.
If using a gas stove, make sure the pot has a thick bottom for even cooking.

Ingredients

• about 60 g dry chickpeas  (150g ounce cooked, about a cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • a pinch of baking soda for faster cooking

• 2 small eggplants or a single large one, unpeeled, sliced 1.5cm (1/2in) thick (apx. 600 g)
  • 1 small cauliflower, separated to bite size clusters (apx. 400-500g)
  • 2 carrots, thinly sliced (3mm / 1/8in) (apx. 200g)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • olive oil or butter

• 1.5 cups long grain rice (basmati or jasmine)
  • 2 to 2.5 teaspoons salt 
  • 0.5 teaspoon hot chili flakes
  • bahart spice mix (see below, 7 teaspoons)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons milk or stock
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons well toasted pine nuts

for bahart, total of 7 teaspoons (you can use store bought instead, but I prefer to make it to my taste as follows):

• 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 0.5 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves (no need to grind)

Preparation

• Soak rice in water overnight, or soak in hot water for 30-60 minutes.
  • Cook chickpeas in 2 cups of water, with salt and baking soda, until completely soft. Chickpeas can be cooked a day ahead, but must not be cold when mixed into rice.

• Preheat oven to high heat (250 degC / 460 degF), use convection mode if possible.
  • Brush eggplant slices, carrot slices and cauliflower florets in oil.
  • Roast until cauliflower is browned and slightly charred, yet quite firm and carrots are slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
  • Remove carrots and cauliflower.
  • Flip eggplant slices and bake until dark brown, another 10 minutes.

• Bring 6 cups of water or stock (without added salt) to a rolling boil.
  • Add rice and cook like pasta until rice is partly cooked, but still firm in the grain's center. About 4 minutes.
  • Drain rice (do not discard stock, if using, see note above).
  • Wash rice under some cold water to stop cooking.
  • Drain well.

• cook onion in some oil until browned.
  • Add garlic,salt and all the spices. Cook on a small fire for a minute or two until aromatic.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Mix rice into onion and spice mixture.
  • Add lemon juice, milk or stock, tomatoes and chickpeas. Mix well.

• Pour 1-2 tablespoons of oil (or butter) into a heavy non-stick pot (about 25cm / 10in), spread oil over bottom and sides.
  • evenly cover the pot with a layer of rice and pack well.
  • layer vegetables and rice in the pot.
  • Cover pot with a thin towel or cheesecloth. Cover with a tight lead.
  • Place on high heat for 10-12 minutes, until sizzling can be heard.
  • Lower to very weak heat and cook covered for 40 to 50 minutes.
  • Place pot on a wet towel to chill it's bottom and make the ricer less likely to stick.
  • Uncover and place a platter on top of pot.
  • Swiftly flip pot and platter together and place on counter.
  • Tap firmly, as needed, to release rice from pot.
  • Sprinkle pine nuts and parsley.
  • Serve immediately.

In those photos I used feta cheese instead of pine nuts, also, the crust is a little paler then I like.

20160312_144351.thumb.jpg.7eb46699fb996d20160312_144548.thumb.jpg.545943fd247854

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.