• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Chef table style restaurants

gfron1

It's no secret among my eG friends that I'm preparing to close my existing restaurant in Silver City and open a new on in St. Louis. In my new place I'm honing in on a tasting menu, fixed seating times for 16 per seating. This is a streamlining of what I currently do and have had some success with. I want to visit other restaurants that do comparable things. The two that first come to mind are Blanca and Take Root in NYC.

But to be clear, the question is not tasting menus - there are a myriad of those. Its more the chef table style that I'm interested in, and even moreso the chef table that's more than a 4-top. This latter comment knocks out Empellon which seats 4 or 6. I'm also wondering about chef table places that don't have a larger a la carte restaurant associated.

What restaurants do you all know about that might fit this bill? Could be anywhere in the world, but I'd prefer North America just to control travel costs for visits.

(Note to mods: I couldn't figure out in which forum this was best placed so please move if there is a better one.)

Trying to remember the name of the place in Chicago, that I read about a couple of years ago on Eater. A couple of rock n roll chefs doing experimental stuff a la minute in a very casual environment. Ringing any bells?

There are a few places in NYC that do this.  Atera (Ateranyc.com) has a U-shaped counter (if I remember correctly) that is like a bar.  They also have a few tables, but most of the seating is counter based.  There some photos on their website.  Another is the chef's table at Brooklyn Fare in Brooklyn, as well as Momofuku Ko in the East Village in Manhattan.  I'm sure there are others in NYC that do this as well, but these are the ones that come to mind first.

• Like 1