• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tsukemono book ?

oferl

3 minutes ago, oferl said:

I'm looking for good titles and web sources that focus on Japanese pickles preparing, will be glad to get any interesting info, thanks :-)  

You might want to start here .

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Do you want to make fresh, salad-type pickles (e.g. asazuke or quick marinade pickles, momi-zuke or salt-rub pickles), where salt  just helps to soften and season the vegetables, or do you want to make the classical pickles that are designed to keep for weeks, months, or years (umeboshi, takuan, hakusai-zuke or other leafy vegetable pickles)?

In the first case, proportions of salt are pretty much up to you, and you can find recipes on the net and in books quite easily. In the second case, you want a book that will tell you exactly what percentage of salt (coarse salt) to use, and how to use weights. 

Thanks Jim, will go through the preview and maybe order this one.

Thanks helenjp, I think my hope is to adopt interesting techniques, ideas and recipes to experiment with, as I'm sure I will not be able to find a lot of the excellent pickled ingredients from a recent visit to Japan.

I had for example excellent pickled seaweed, might be of different types, very interesting different consistencies, delicate flavours, really delicious stuff. I'm sure I will not be able to come close to this "art level",

but I do hope that a serious book, will help me utilize except for salt, some more Japanese staples like the Miso, Sake, Mirin, Soy, Vinegars.. I don't know if this is part of "long term" Japanese traditional fermenting

or mainly salt is the star in those..  

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this one for several years. It is still available. It also has some Korean recipes.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN3407_zpsunwa3ggd.jpg[/IMG]

https://books.google.com/books/about/Quick_Easy_Tsukemono.html?id=uhmWD6NAvGIC

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)