• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casserole Recipe For People Who Hate Casseroles??

gulfporter

On March 14, 2016 at 3:25 AM, gulfporter said:

another neighbor said this hostess always does a theme potluck and is compiling a recipe book for the neighborhood based on a decade of these events

Very interesting!  I do hope you'll report back to let us know what you decided to make and maybe share your observations on the other offerings.  My own experiences with potlucks (work colleagues or neighborhood groups) has been generally positive and often resulted in much informal recipe and story sharing but I never heard of anyone documenting them in the form of a recipe book.  Sounds like it could be fun, even if it only makes you exclaim, "THEY made THATO.oo.OxD!

• Like 3

On 3/14/2016 at 6:25 AM, gulfporter said:

I like this idea.  

While the sushi recipe looks killer, another neighbor said this hostess always does a theme potluck and is compiling a recipe book for the neighborhood based on a decade of these events.  This explains the footnote on the invitation asking guests to bring their recipe.  I'm still the new kid on the block and don't want to upset any apple carts.  

Back to the bastilla recipe....I've been googling and find many variations.  Anyone one have a tried and true recipe?  

Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table has a good recipe for Bstilla. I've brought it to potlucks and it's always well received.  I found the recipe on Google Books here.

I posted some photos and comments about the recipe in our "Cooking with..." topic here. Another thing I've learned is that if you make the filling a day in advance, you can skip marinating the chicken before cooking it--you can't taste the difference.

Since this recipe makes only enough filling for a 10" cake pan, I'd double it if you decide to use a large casserole or baking dish.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2016 at 11:11 AM, gulfporter said:

We've been asked to bring a casserole to a neighbor's potluck party.   It's our first invitation from this couple, don't know them very well. 

I have zero experience making casseroles, or at least what I think of as a typical casserole....indistinguishable proteins mixed with a lot of pasta or rice and a ton of cheese holding it all together.  They always seemed too heavy for us, especially on an April day in Florida.  

But the invitation clearly says "casserole" so that's what we need to bring. 

Is there such a thing as a light casserole??  A gourmet casserole??  I'm trying not to sound snobby, it's just that I don't have any go-to recipes filed under 'casserole' 9_9

BURMESE RICE SALAD 

Serves 2-4

To serve more people just double/triple etc the ingredients.

You say you don't know the couple well so maybe this recipe will be useful.

This recipe needs to be made just ahead of time. It will not keep well say overnight in the fridge.

This dish has lots of ingredients. I make it as a main course for that reason. It’s a great vegetarian dish.

It’s a Burmese staple casserole. Perfect for warm weather in Florida in April.

Make The Dressing:

In a container with a tight fitting lid add

2 T lime juice

8 T tamarind juice* If you have tamarind paste soak 3 T in warm water to dissolve then strain.

2 T fish sauce

1 T cornstarch

1 T palm sugar

Shake well to combine the ingredients. Adjust the ingredients to suit your taste buds. Before putting on the salad shake again. You may not want to add all the dressing. You just want the ‘suggestion’ of the dressing on the salad.

Method:

Into a large bowl add 1 C cooked cold rice, 1 C cookedcold rice noodles chopped into 2” lengths, 1 C cold sliced small peeled boiled waxy potatoes, 2 coldsliced hard boiled eggs, 1/3 C shredded cabbage, 1/3 C peeled julienned green papaya, 1/3 C peeled seeded sliced cucumber, 1/4 C fine chopped shallots. Gently fold in all the ingredients.

Fold in the dressing. Season with S&P.Taste and add S&P to taste. Try to keep the dish nice and fluffy by not stirring too much. Garnish with coriander leafs. Serve as a main course of as a starter. This dish doesn’t keep well in the fridge so it’s best to eat it all at one sitting. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LindaK said:

Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table has a good recipe for Bstilla. I've brought it to potlucks and it's always well received.  I found the recipe on Google Books here.

Thanks...it looks like a winner!  Thanks to others for recipes, too.  

• Like 1

The Cooks Illustrated The Best Make Ahead Recipes has some good not-so-traditional casserole type dishes too.  I've made the one with chicken, mushrooms and pasta in a white wine sauce several times including for new parents and it is always well received.