Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durian pizza anyone?


Big Joe the Pro
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is nothing new about durian pizza in China. It has been popular for years. There is an independent pizza place about 500 metres from my home which has it, and I've seen it many other places..

 

It's foul. And I love durian.

 

Here is their menu.

IMG_7673.thumb.jpg.aea220c6b42a766f3f6a2

  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

What's the "Popeye pizza"?  Does that have something to do with spinach, or Popeye's, the fried chicken chain?  Also, chicken granulocyte?

 

I've never had Popeye's pizza, but it seems to refer to Popeye of spinach fame. The Chinese name, 大力水手,  means "strong or energetic seaman" I'll ask next time I'm there, but I don't go often.

 

Chicken granulocyte is just a bad translation. They mean chicken granules, which sounds equally revolting. Mechanically recovered chicken, I shouldn't wonder.

 

  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Durian pizza was something I never experienced in my 15+ years in Beijing, but it does say in the article that it is something that originated in Southern China.  Go figure, it is a tropical fruit! :D

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Big Joe the Pro said:

   Durian pizza was something I never experienced in my 15+ years in Beijing, but it does say in the article that it is something that originated in Southern China.  Go figure, it is a tropical fruit! :D

 

Oddly, the first time I recall encountering durian pizza was in, erm, Beijing. About ten years ago out by the zoo somewhere. Must have been a refugee from the south.

 

All that said, the only decent pizza I've ever had anywhere in China was made by a man from S. Korea. It was up there with the Italians. And not a smelly fruit in sight.

And I wouldn't eat in Pizza Hut if they paid me.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

And I wouldn't eat in Pizza Hut if they paid me.

 

   I used to eat there a couple times a month when I first hit town in the late nineties.  There weren't so many choices like there are today as I remember, and I hadn't yet gotten a decent apartment with an oven where I could make my own pizza.

   It was worth going to Pizza Hut to me and my friends just to watch the locals pile stuff on their plates at the one trip salad bar.  I'll never forget some of those people walking slowly back to their tables carrying those huge pyramids of very intricately stacked vegetables.  I wonder if they still do that.

  • Like 1

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big Joe the Pro said:

 

   I used to eat there a couple times a month when I first hit town in the late nineties.  There weren't so many choices like there are today as I remember, and I hadn't yet gotten a decent apartment with an oven where I could make my own pizza.

   It was worth going to Pizza Hut to me and my friends just to watch the locals pile stuff on their plates at the one trip salad bar.  I'll never forget some of those people walking slowly back to their tables carrying those huge pyramids of very intricately stacked vegetables.  I wonder if they still do that.

 

No. They stopped the salad bars a while back.It was getting too ridiculous, if amusing.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And what is an "upgrade cheese pizza"?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...