• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: OK BBQ Tour 2016

What Jaymes said.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Of course, one of the "downsides" (if you can call it that) of a three-stop BBQ tour is that you tend to wind up with a lot of leftovers. I think I'm eating BBQ for lunch all week... today's entry used up about half of the leftover brisket from Oklahoma Joe's, plus some shiitakes that were on their last legs. Ostensibly an omelet, although there was more stuff on top that there was egg:

DSC_1962.jpg.14d58276e9a2eedd394b466b4f8

• Like 7

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Would have loved to have been on that trip, if only to talk about how much better Memphis barbecue is (:P). However, if any of you would like to do a Memphis and/or East Arkansas crawl, I'll be happy to tour-guide either of those. There is some fine 'cue in Mississippi County, AR, just south of the Missouri line, and likewise in Memphis.

Can also lead a respectable Mexican or Vietnamese crawl in Memphis, although one of my favorites, Saigon Le, burned the other day.

Y'all let me know.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Would have loved to have been on that trip, if only to talk about how much better Memphis barbecue is (:P). However, if any of you would like to do a Memphis and/or East Arkansas crawl, I'll be happy to tour-guide either of those. There is some fine 'cue in Mississippi County, AR, just south of the Missouri line, and likewise in Memphis.

Can also lead a respectable Mexican or Vietnamese crawl in Memphis, although one of my favorites, Saigon Le, burned the other day.

Y'all let me know.

Are you including The Dixie Pig in Blytheville?  Interesting but different.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I didn't bring home as many leftovers as Chris - just a little less than 1/2 lb of pulled pork from The Butcher. It was served tonight with southern braised kale (red kale from my garden) and cornbread (ATK's Northern cornbread recipe). 

BTW - Chris, I don't think I ever thanked you for being the photojournalist for the group. 

• Like 1

joiei, I'm absolutely including the Dixie Pig. Along with the Kream Kastle and the little trailer in the grocery store parking lot. And the Hog Pen in Osceola.

I live in Jonesboro. Smokehouse is adequate, Wild Hog is ok, but there is really no GREAT 'cue here. Ditto Crittenden County, where I lived for 30 years, at least not since Bill's Grill closed.

But Memphis, however -- the trouble would be limiting it to three places. You'd have to include Central, Payne's and, well, the third would be a tossup between Interstate and Cozy Corner (yet to reopen after their fire, last I heard, but you can get their Cornish hens at the soul food place across the street) and Germantown Commissary and Three Pigs and BarBQ Shop. 

Note I am including the Rendezvous nowhere on this list.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

How about one day for Memphis and a half day to hit NE Arkansas.  But then we would need another day to do Highway 61 going south to get some delta style tamales.  I have been to Germantown Commissary, excellent especially the coconut cream pie.  Maybe we can find a time when Jaymes can join us.  

My leftovers, even less than cyalexa.  I made a bbq frittata this morning topped with sliced avocado and a sprinkle of feta cheese.  

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!