• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

spelunking correction

The reason I am still only part-time here (but at this time, and for the past 2 or so years, it is more here than there) is that I still have property down south and am still, even after years of sort of working on it, trying to sort things out there and pack it all up to the point that I can start to fix it up so I can then sell it. Long story but it has been slow going. At any given time I can only be 'resident' officially in one country but I hold passports for both. I spend winters and summers here - and drive down to NC in the spring and fall since I am not a hot weather person so I find myself totally enervated if the heat and humidity are too high in NC and I get nothing done. Plus the driving weather (and traffic loads) are usually better in those seasons.

There are many places in Nova Scotia (further down the coast and also on Cape Breton Island and in Antigonish) where it seems that at least someone is allowed to sell from the docks or close by or from a truck along the road. Not sure why it is that that is not legal here - I believe it has to do with semi-political infighting between towns in this county (which now mostly consists of unincorporated 'towns'). I do know that the Fisheries people however practically live on the docks sometimes to ensure that boats coming in unload directly to trucks that set off for parts unknown and though I know some locals have an 'in' somehow, I don't nor do tourists. I suppose I could phone someone in the Fisheries department and ask them why this is, etc. All I know right now is what locals have told me. Could be that the fishermen themselves don't even mind though if they can sell for more elsewhere - this would be a very small market here.

Will I stay here forever? That is a question I ask myself frequently. The situation for someone who is not related to anyone else here - my kids are thousands of miles in either direction and don't or won't travel often (at least to here) - is not as ideal as I once thought it could be, especially as one ages - and that is above and beyond just the food issues I have discussed here. But, one thing I know for sure is that I need all my ducks moved here and/or sold off before I contemplate moving once again. Frankly, I would be happy being a nomad seeking out, like Smithy and her husband do during the winter, all the wonderful little towns and food surprises across the US and Canada ... living in a class B RV ... but I don't think that is practical alone at this time in my life.

Jaymes .. I am saving up for your airfare and car rental! Good deal on the airfare - hope that part holds up till next summer! :) Hope you will stay longer than the 2 hours it will take me to show you round this town.

Deryn

Deryn

spelunking correction

The reason I am still only part-time here (but at this time, and for the past 2 or so years, it is more here than there) is that I still have property down south and am still, even after years of sort of working on it, trying to sort things out there and pack it all up to the point that I can start to fix it up so I can then sell it. Long story but it has been slow going. At any given time I can only be 'resident' officially in one country but I hold passports for both. I spend winters and summers here - and drive down to NC in the spring and fall since I am not a hot weather person so I find myself totally enervated if the heat and humidity are too high in NC and I get nothing done. Plus the driving weather (and traffic loads) are usually better in those seasons.

There are many places in Nova Scotia (further down the coast and also on Cape Breton Island and in Antigonish) where it seems that at least someone is allowed to sell from the docks or close by or from a truck along the road. Not sure why it is that that is not legal here - I believe it has to do with semi-political infighting between towns in this county (which now mostly consists of unincorporated 'towns'). I do know that the Fisheries people however practically live on the docks sometimes to ensure that boats coming in unload directly to trucks that set off for parts unknown and though I know some locals have an 'in' somehow, I don't nor do tourists. I suppose I could phone someone in the Fisheries department and ask them why this is, etc. All I know right now is what locals have told me. Could be that the fishermen themselves don't even mind though if they can sell for more elsewhere - this would be a very small market here.

Will I stay here forever? That is a question I ask myself frequently. The situation for someone who is not related to anyone else here - my kids are thousands of miles in either direction and don't or won't travel often (at least to here) - is not as ideal as I once thought it could be, especially as one ages - and that is above and beyond just the food issues I have discussed here. But, one thing I know for sure is that I need all my ducks moved here and/or sold off before I contemplate moving once again. Frankly, I would be happy being a nomad (seeking out, like Smithy and her husband do during the winter) all the wonderful little towns and food surprises across the US and Canada ... living in a class B RV ... but I don't think that is practical alone at this time in my life.

Jaymes .. I am saving up for your airfare and car rental! Good deal on the airfare - hope that part holds up till next summer! :) Hope you will stay longer than the 2 hours it will take me to show you round this town.

Deryn

Deryn

There are many places in Nova Scotia (further down the coast and also on Cape Breton Island and in Antigonish) where it seems that at least someone is allowed to sell from the docks or close by or from a truck along the road. Not sure why it is that that is not legal here - I believe it has to do with semi-political infighting between towns in this county (which now mostly consists of unicorporated 'towns'). I do know that the Fisheries people however practically live on the docks sometimes to ensure that boats coming in unload directly to trucks that set off for parts unknown and though I know some locals have an 'in' somehow, I don't nor do tourists. I suppose I could phone someone in the Fisheries department and ask them why this is, etc. All I know right now is what locals have told me. Could be that the fishermen themselves don't even mind though if they can sell for more elsewhere - this would be a very small market here.

Will I stay here forever? That is a question I ask myself frequently. The situation for someone who is not related to anyone else here - my kids are thousands of miles in either direction and don't or won't travel often (at least to here) - is not as ideal as I once thought it could be, especially as one ages - and that is above and beyond just the food issues I have discussed here. But, one thing I know for sure is that I need all my ducks moved here and/or sold off before I contemplate moving once again. Frankly, I would be happy being a nomad (seeking out, like Smithy and her husband do during the winter) all the wonderful little towns and food surprises across the US and Canada ... living in a class B RV ... but I don't think that is practical alone at this time in my life.