• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Welcome "tea" for our Syrian Refugee Families

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice.  The pink pickles are small turnip sliced, cauliflower, beets and cabbage.  The green pickles are garlic, cauliflowers, green pepper, carrot, celery and the rest of the small turnip.

There is a Lebanese deli near here that sells falafel sandwiches that include pink pickled turnip slices. I was so taken with the flavor of those pickled turnips that  I started making them too.

HC

• Like 2

I have a question.  I cooked 102 chicken thighs in a tomato onion sauce.  All that less eight cups of sauce is in a 13x21 inch hotel pan.  How do I reheat this?  I have extra sauce in a crockpot to reheat but if I use an oven to reheat the rest of the chicken with sauce how do I do that?

Edited by Okanagancook
typo (log)

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I have a question.  I cooked 102 chicken thighs in a tomato onion sauce.  All that less eight cups of sauce is in a 13x214inch hotel pan.  How do I reheat this?  I have extra sauce in a crockpot to reheat but if I use an oven to reheat the rest of the chicken with sauce how do I do that?

I know you didn't mean the pan is 214 inches long, since that's over 13 feet. xD Take some deep breaths. You've done it before, and you'll do it better this time.

I would cover this with a lid or foil and heat in the oven at 350 F/ 75 C for 40 or so minutes or until hot. That's a lot of food in one pan. If you have another pan and space in the oven, splitting your chicken dish between the pans would allow it to reheat faster.

Good luck with your event, and you are a kind soul to work so hard for a good cause.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Yes, it was a long, long day!  Thank you so much for your recommendations.  I do no know how big the oven is at our venue.  I have extra sauce in a crockpot and the chicken with a good amount of sauce with them in the pan mentioned above.

• Like 1

What a success.  I didn't get many pictures because I was in the kitchen but here are a couple of shots of the tables with the meze.  Not sure how much money was raised but I would hanker a guess at $4,000 and for a sleepy little community that is awesome.  Everyone loved the food and there were many requests for the recipes, especially the pickles which I made from Aromas of Aleppo.  We sold the leftovers!  Brilliant.  There was a quick line-up for that.  

We got home at 10:30 pm and the vehicle is still loaded with all the stuff we took to the hall to make the dinner.  Thank god for the commercial dishwasher at the Hall!

Ok, I am taking the day off after four days of preparing for it.DSC02020.thumb.jpg.7c6e7f9d75be5023eb025eb2fa3c431a.jpgDSC02018.thumb.jpg.e9221d0963360fa554d336d7d90bf848.jpg

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

What a success.

Congratulations. I can't tell you how much I admire you for doing this.  I am still dithering about Aromas of Aleppo  but suspect by days end I will have succumbed to its allure. 

I suspect there is an added bonus here which few of us are acknowledging. And that is that your small community is being given a wonderful opportunity to try a cuisine that many will have never tasted before.  I envy them. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks.  It was a challenge but the other volunteers were so wonderful.  And yes everyone thought the flavours were interesting.  I guess they liked them because a lot of people wanted the recipes.  The Syrian lady's falefels were really well made as were the two large trays of baclava she made in her little tiny kitchen.  She makes pretty well all their food from scratch including using dried not canned beans and lentils.

Tomorrow I am going to my neighbour's grape vine to pillage it for some leaves for the family.  You should see her face when you present the leaves to her.  Priceless.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I am thrilled to report we raised $5400 which is enough to pay for the vehicle they desperately need.

Here is the article from our local community website if anyone is interested.  http://www.mynaramata.com/show6999a/Syrian_Dinner_Success

:x:D:D

Fabulous!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog