• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The dinner was a resounding success.  Everyone was raving about the food and when the plates come back licked clean you know they were sincere.  Someone asked if this could be a monthly affair!

I am totally bowled over. Congratulations and thank you. In a world that sometimes feels full of hate and ignorance and prejudice, what you, and the people with you, have done is joyful. It gives me some belief in humanity again. 

It isn't easy to welcome strangers into your community, which is your home, and too often strangers are turned away. Or worse.

And that just addresses the morality involved. There is also the sheer hard work!

Although I don't know you, I feel sort of proud to be even tenuously linked through eG. Good luck with whatever comes next.

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Forgot to mention that the wife came to help serve.  She plated the hummus and ezme then served people their meatballs.  She was a little shy but we insisted and it all worked out well.

Glad to read that, too. I'm sure they don't expect or want to be "hand out" victims. Ultimately, they need to take control of their own lives. And your work seems to be helping them set up for that, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The dinner was a resounding success.  Everyone was raving about the food and when the plates come back licked clean you know they were sincere.  Someone asked if this could be a monthly affair!

I am totally bowled over. Congratulations and thank you. In a world that sometimes feels full of hate and ignorance and prejudice, what you, and the people with you, have done is joyful. It gives me some belief in humanity again. 

It isn't easy to welcome strangers into your community, which is your home, and too often strangers are turned away. Or worse.

And that just addresses the morality involved. There is also the sheer hard work!

Although I don't know you, I feel sort of proud to be even tenuously linked through eG. Good luck with whatever comes next.

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Forgot to mention that the wife came to help serve.  She plated the hummus and ezme then served people their meatballs.  She was a little shy but we insisted and it all worked out well.

Glad to read that, too. I'm sure they don't expect or want to be "hand out" victims. Ultimately, they need to take control of their own lives. And your work seems to be setting them for that, too.