• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aging Golden Syrup

Bakerchic

I don't know if they're authentic or not, but there are several folks on you-tube who profess that is easy and cheap to make it by caramelizing part of the sugar, pouring a hot syrup mixture into it, and voila- it comes out golden.  They use a lemon in the syrup to eliminate crystallization. 

I always prefer to make my own stuff, since I'm not in the business and time doesn't matter much. 

1 minute ago, Bakerchic said:

I don't know if they're authentic or not, but there are several folks on you-tube who profess that is easy and cheap to make it by caramelizing part of the sugar, pouring a hot syrup mixture into it, and voila- it comes out golden.  They use a lemon in the syrup to eliminate crystallization. 

I always prefer to make my own stuff, since I'm not in the business and time doesn't matter much. 

That sounds more like a caramel syrup than a golden syrup - it's not made in the same way and won't have the same flavour.  I'm pretty sure that golden syrup is a by-product of the refinement process, and the colour and flavour come from the impurities in the sugar rather than any caramelisation.  

The normal Tate & Lyle's is not normally expensive, hard to find or low quality, so I don't really see the point of making it at home...

• Like 3

Getting back to the 'aging' part of the question: why would one bother to age golden syrup, and how would one go about it?  I have visions of leaving the can or jar out in the sunlight, and that probably isn't what's meant.

Edited to add: I've found part of the answer in this blog post: In Search Of Perfection: Heston's Perfect Treacle Tart Recipe.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Getting back to the 'aging' part of the question: why would one bother to age golden syrup, and how would one go about it?  I have visions of leaving the can or jar out in the sunlight, and that probably isn't what's meant.

Edited to add: I've found part of the answer in this blog post: In Search Of Perfection: Heston's Perfect Treacle Tart Recipe.

Nice searching!   I tried but failed to come up with anything.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog