• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tzatziki

Tzatziki

I've become more and more averse to sweet things (I'm a grumpy old man, I suppose...) in cocktails, and I've recently fallen in love with eau de vies - they can add a dizzying amount of fruit aroma to a cocktail without adding any sweetness. For example, I tried an eau de vie variant of a daiquiri:

1 1/2 oz rum

1/2 oz raspberry eau de vie (st. george is nice, massenez' framboise sauvage is incredible)

1/2 oz lime

1/2 oz raspberry shrub (i did 2:1:1 raspberries:sugar:champagne vinegar)

1/4 oz Giffard creme de framboise

...somehow it tastes more like raspberries than raspberries!

Does anyone play around with eau de vies (the standards - poire williams, blume marillien, mirabelle - or the crazies - rowanberry, woodruff, sloe, etc.) in cocktails? What are your favorite recipes?

Tzatziki

Tzatziki

I've become more and more averse to sweet things (I'm a grumpy old man, I suppose...) in cocktails, and I've recently fallen in love with eau de vies - they can add a dizzying amount of fruit aroma to a cocktail without adding any sweetness. For example, I tried an eau de vie variant of a daiquiri:

1 1/2 oz rum

1/2 oz raspberry eau de vie (st. george is nice, massenez' framboise sauvage is incredible)

1/2 oz lime

1/2 oz raspberry shrub (i did 2:1:1 raspberries:sugar:champagne vinegar)

1/4 oz Giffard creme de framboise

...somehow it tastes more like raspberries than raspberries!

Does anyone play around with eau de vies (the standards - poire williams, blume marillien, mirabelle - or the crazies - rowanberry, woodruff, sloe, etc.) in cocktails? What are your favorite recipes?