• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tovala Smart Oven

Shalmanese

I knew I was pushing it with the “Italian” entrees. I live in an area with a large amount of Italian restaurants and have an Italian mother, etc. and as @blue_dolphin said, pasta is also my go to, easy quick meal— so I made poor choices. I’m sure if I pushed back about the quality of the meals I would likely get a discount, however, the proteins are really shining. Every protein has been cooked well and I have used a digital thermometer to see how the proteins are cooked to temp. It’s important to not let anything linger in the oven, and I was pleasantly surprised that a marinated chicken breast that was delivered vacuumed packed was very flavorful and juicy. At the thickest point it read 166 degrees F as a high. 

the prep was opening the sealed, marinated chicken breast and put it in a provided tin pan, use the small packet of mayo to coat the chicken and put the bread crumbs over the chicken. 

i have a pork cutlet I’ve yet to try. That should be interesting. 

The oven really uses the steam feature a lot. I haven’t gotten any type of notice that the water reservoir has been low, but I keep a 6oz water bottle next to the machine and add water after every use. The oven makes a sound when it’s full. It has also has a wide water spout so I haven’t been worried about potentially getting water on the buttons. Also, if in the off chance I did, I can control the oven directly from my phone. 

The oven appeals to me as a child of the 80s. It’s fun watching the various cooking methods that cycle and watching proteins cook. It’s like an adult version of my “easy bake oven”. Along that line I wish they offered more dessert, breakfast and side options. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1