• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tovala Smart Oven

Shalmanese

Ive finally read the WSJ article

i think it was balanced and appropriate for the part of the WSJ that the Murdoch's had not yet destroyed.

however :

"""    It’s a steam oven—a cooking technology that hasn’t made it into many homes because it requires some expertise to operate. ""

my italics 

idiots !

I operate a CSB all the time , some times after a dash of M.R. !

""  Restaurants use steam ovens to bake, cook and reheat food faster, more evenly and (most important) without drying things out. ""

so true

why there isn't a Combi-0ven at HomeDepot the same dimensions as a regular oven Beets Me !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Cooking Light has jumped on the marketing plan for this oven now that they have an investment deal with Tyson foods. Personally, I don't think reading labels on prepared products is that difficult that I need something with internet access setting the controls for me, not to mention that the more electronics there are in an appliance the less likely it is to survive for what I consider an acceptable length of time. 

http://www.cookinglight.com/syndication/tavola-oven-tyson-foods

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I received a couple of emails from Tovala this week.  The first one on Tuesday announced that they will be releasing a version 2 of the steam oven and then a second email today stating that the first production run has already sold out.  Price points are $349 by itself or $249 if you sign up to buy 100 of their prepared meals within the first year of ownership.  Looks like they added convection baking as a feature and possibly some other stuff too - I didn't look hard enough through the webpage to sort everything out.  They also changed the controls a bit - this new version looks much more like a traditional toaster oven now with a series of knobs running vertically down the left side.  

I was an early backer of their first version several years ago but chose to drop out and never ended up with one of the Tovala ovens.  I've been waiting for the Anova oven to materialize for several years now but no news on that product for quite some time.    

• Thanks 1

@fledflew

thank you for your update.

Ive given up on Anova viz and oven.

they made their name and a nicely deserved windfall on their circulators.

I can't see them investing effort or funds in the oven.

its too bad , esp if it were a 1/4 sheet pan oven w a little more head--room

say 50 % more.   Id take 33 % even !

• Like 1

Ditto the thanks on the update.  That newer model oven looks much better and potentially more useful for use outside of their meal plan.  The original can still be seen on Amazon where it's currently listed @ $281

I wonder how they are doing?  With all the meal services out there, many of them struggling, it seems that the purchase of a $250 - $350 oven could be a high hurdle to get new users on board. I'm very much a devotée of the steam oven for cooking and reheating but I'm certainly in the minority.  Plus the meals are $12/meal which seems high if one is comparing them to frozen or refrigerated meals from the grocery store, which is what they look like. 

Edited to add that it's interesting that they are now including recipes for home cooking in their app.   

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I couldn't tell if the $ 12 was for one meal , or two.

and as far as i can tell , the dimensions are very close to the CSO.

I emailed ANOVA to ask about their steam oven , if they would ever be making it

wonder if they will answer in a meaningful way.

• 2 years later...

I've wanted an Anova but price has been steep... Ordered a Tovala as their memorial day sale was pretty attractive.  $149 price point with a promise to purchase 6 weeks of meal kits within 6 months.  Haven't seen any reviews etc on here so I've resorted to the fb grp,  reddit etc and since they were mostly positive,  grabbed one.  Hopefully it lives up to its hype.  

44 minutes ago, jasie said:

I've wanted an Anova but price has been steep... Ordered a Tovala as their memorial day sale was pretty attractive.  $149 price point with a promise to purchase 6 weeks of meal kits within 6 months.  Haven't seen any reviews etc on here so I've resorted to the fb grp,  reddit etc and since they were mostly positive,  grabbed one.  Hopefully it lives up to its hype.  

Please keep us informed.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 years later...

I have my eye on one of these steam ovens. I don’t have a great toaster oven and my air fryer is old. As a single person who at time could just throw things into their oven and scan a recipe card st times, it is tempting. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

My Uncle had one of these Tovola ovens, he liked the convenience but said the meals they provided were very salty.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have the oven, I am setting it up tomorrow and I have 4 meals to prep and scan

IMG_3449.jpeg

Full reports with photos, I hope!

• Like 3

there is probably a reason for that

over all

but is , in n ew condition , it can be uses as a CSO clone

might be worth it for the purpose 

at an attractive price.

@MetsFan5

im curious about the salt content   

on the order of mg / meal ,   thanks

@MetsFan5

thank you for the above 

what do you do to get your meal

on your plate?

I thought 

you got an item delivered.

it was scanned by the Instrument  ( the oven )

you then placed it in the oven

and pushed start.

this looks like a ' meal kit "

I didn't wish to imply anything one way or another 

by the ingredients.

thank you for your continued reporting.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@MetsFan5

how did the meal  taste ?

would you buy this again ?

in  terms of the oven itself 

the scan feature doesn't seem to save you much effort 

the meal kit might say cook in the CSO  for  X minutes at XYZ F

thank you for sharing your experience and taking us step by step 

through the oven's us and the Tovela meal kits.

I was under the impression that the ' smart ' feature

was a unique oven cycle , custom tailored for each kit .

but I might be missing something, for sure.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Is there a way to manually set the oven to do stuff, or do you need to have bought an ingredient kit with  a code to scan to make it do anything?  If so, I wonder whether there is a community devoted to reverse engineering the codes so you can tell it specific stuff to do...

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch