• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Dining - NOT haute cuisine

s_d_p

Hi Foodies,

I'm going to Madrid for the first time and will be traveling with my teenaged son. He's got a great palate and is an adventurous eater, BUT he doesn't like "fancy" places. He's not so into DiverXO kinds of dining or, I think, anyplace with a white tablecloth or an English menu! I was hoping someone knowledgeable about Madrid could recommend some family run, authentic restaurants we might try. He tends to like the kinds of neighborhood places with character that local families would make a "regular" spot. 

Our hotel is near Plaza de Colon if that helps, but we will be traveling around the city.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions of your favorite haunts!

Hi, you may try Taberna Verdejo, Lakasa (currently moving, should re-open soon), El fogón de trifón, Askua barra. Cañadío, La Catapa, La Ardosa, La Caleta, or Sacha. All excellent restaurants or "barras de tapas". Not of the "fancy" types thoug some would not exactly fit the "family run" description neither. Try La Daniela or Casa Carola for great "Cocido Madrileño", the traditional Madrid stew. And go to El Corral de la Morería for excellent food and no-tourist-trap best flamenco show in the world.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For Enrique B: 

While we've been to Spain several times, we too are going to Madrid for the first time in June.  We are renting an apartment in La Latina.   Can you tell us the best tapas places in that area that will be OPEN early (by 12:30 for lunch and by 7PM in the evening)?  

On our first trip to Spain in the late 1980s it was nearly impossible to find eateries that opened by 8PM in Cuenca, Avila, Segovia.  And in those towns, there were not many tapas bars at all, the restaurants were very formal.  

However in 2014 in Barcelona and also Andalusia (we based ourselves in Ronda) we found tapas bars (some of which served raciones and complete meals, but many that only sold tapas and media rationes) that were open virtually from desayuno until late at night.  Last year in Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla (granted all heavily touristed), there were always at least a few tapas bars that were open when we wanted to eat.  

Has the popularity of tapas bars had an effect on dining in Madrid?  My late FIL and MIL went to Madrid several times between 1970 and 1990 and always said dinner hour was 9PM or 10PM.  

We far prefer light meals in the (early) evening than formal dinners that start late (for us).  

Easy solution (he said glibly) - stay on your home time zone.  7pm in Miami is 1am in Spain - they'll think you're locals!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory