• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Truffle Shells and Filling Tray

fandi1

Hi all.

I am looking for Dark Chocolates Truffle Shells. I was able to find some at AUI, Qzina and some other places. However i'm looking for a best price. so far, Qzina is the lowest at $65.44 per case of 504  (in US) plus flat $25.00 for shipping any size order. Needless to say I am looking for a lower price. Can anyone help?

Also, I am looking for a Filling Tray.... the only one i was able to find in US so far is at AUI. However, 193.56/EA is a little to steep for me.... or a lot steep. This is nuts... a small sheet of steal with halls in it for so much money. :(

i know for a fact the filling tray is great to use if you planning to fill lots of truffles. here is link to YouTube

youtube.com/watch?v=4H5q0aItEio

i did not put WWW. in front of the link so that video does not populate my post ( i don't know if YouTube is allowed)

So, if anyone knows where i can get both items for lower price I would really be appreciative.

thank you for the look at my post

regards

Edited by fandi1 (log)

I doubt you're going to beat that price on the shells. Even if you find them for a few dollars less, I'm betting the shipping cost will balance it out or tip it the other way with Qzina's flat rate. If you're looking to invest in the filling plate, I'm assuming this isn't just a one-shot thing so you could even order 2 or 3 cases (or more) from Qzina and it'll still only be $25 shipping.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thats correct tri2cook. However. I did see it somewhere for like 40.00. I agree that 65.00 with 25.00a is a great deal. In fact i cant find anything less then this price . Saying this, I amm more interested in filling tray though.

Edited by fandi1 (log)

12 minutes ago, fandi1 said:

Thats correct tri2cook. However. I did see it somewhere for like 40.00. I agree that 65.00 with 25.00a is a great deal. In fact i cant find anything less then this price . Saying this, I amm more interested in filling tray though.

I'm not sure what you mean by you found them for $40 but can't find them for less than $65 but, if you found the same quantity and quality for $40 and this is something you use regularly, I'd say grab all you can afford. If you or someone you know is handy, it wouldn't be hard to make a plate. Just take a flat piece of sturdy plastic and drill some holes to match the spacing of the shells in their trays.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well... I'm not that handy....BUT.... there is a place near my home that sells aluminum and food grade metal.  and they do cuts and dril. Problem is that if you look at YouTube video you will see that there is not only a hole but an indentation  so the plate would sit on the truffle with max contact. Otherwise i would cut and dril it my self. Monday i will order box of truffles and rake a tray to this place to make sure they cut and drill it correctly

Edited by fandi1 (log)

Sorry, didn't realize that. I didn't watch the video, just looked at the picture on the AUI site. The place that does the cutting and drilling can use a countersink bit so you'd get the indentation around the hole on one side.

Pastrychef.com used to carry a plastic one. I didn't mention it before because I don't see it listed on their site anymore. You could try giving them a call.