• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon-mandarin pound cake

shain

This makes one not very large cake in an "English cake" pan (26x6.5 cm / 10x2.5 inch).

You may want to double up the recipe and make two :)

FoOr variation, you can use any citrus, and add mixins such as poppy seeds, candied ginger, sumac, raspberries, etc.

Please tell me if you make it, I really hope that you will like it!

Lemon-mandarin pound cake

Batter:

• 140g white flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (7 g)
  • 190g white sugar
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (1.5 g)
  • 15-20g fine zest from a lemon and an orange/mandarin
  • 160g labaneh or tart Greek yogurt or (5% fat or more)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 45g olive oil - aromatic, but not too vegetal, you can use natural oil if preferred
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

For syrup:

• 25g sugar 
  • apx. 7-6 g of long and thin stripes of peel (zest) from a lemon and an orange/mandarin - see photo below for reference
  • Apx. 45g lemon juice

Method:

• Heat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F).  
  • Grease one pan.
  • Prepare 3 mixing bowl: one of them should be quite large and another should be a mixer bowl to beat the egg whites in.

• In the small bowl, measure flour and baking powder.

• In the large bowl, mix sugar, fine citrus zest and salt.
  • Let it rest while you proceed.
  • Separate eggs, placing egg whites in the empty mixer bowl and the yolks in the large bowl with the sugar and zest.
  • Add yogurt, vanilla and oil to the bowl with the sugar and yolks.

• Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
  • Beat yolk-sugar-yogurt mixture until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  • Fold the egg white foam into the yolk mixture, until smooth and almost uniform.
  • Sieve flour and baking soda mixture over the liquids.
  • Fold from the bottom up just until uniform. Do not over mix.
  • Pour into greased pan.
  • Bake for apx. 45 minutes. A skewer should go out cleanly. The cake should rise to fill the pan and get a tan color. Do not over bake. 

• While the cake bakes, make the syrup:
  • Mix together sugar and peel stripes (long zest). Mix well for the sugar to draw flavor from the peel.
  • Add about the lemon juice and mix well until the sugar dissolves. If it doesn't, heat the syrup very briefly.
  • When the cake is out of the oven, pierce it all over with a thin skewer or toothpick.
  • Pour the syrup over the cake while it is still hot from the oven.
  • Spread the remaining syrup soaked peel strips over the cake.
  • Let chill and store in an airtight container, or wrapped in nylon.

• For variation, you may add candied orange peel, poppy seeds, mint, raspberries, etc.

20170119_205247.jpg20170119_212313.jpg

PXL_20211022_181848085.jpeg

PXL_20211022_182244265.jpeg

PXL_20211022_183610613.jpeg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

I am going to make this and bought what I needed today.  One question - is 15 to 20 gm the total of the two zests or each?  I'm guessing it is the total but I'd like that confirmed.  Thanks!

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I did make this using about 15 gm of the two zests in total.  We enjoyed this very much, thanks for posting! 

My apologies for not responding in time. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed this cake!

The recipe was not clear enough, so I've edited it. I use 15-20g in the batter and an additional ~7g for the syrup.
However, as you noted, this is not an exact amount, and can be adjusted to taste.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

• 10 months later...
On 3/5/2016 at 7:26 AM, shain said:

This makes one not very large cake in an English cake pan (26x6.5 cm / 10x2.5 inch).

I googled this but could not find a pan with those dimension (or even a reference to one).  Just to be clear, is this a 10 x 2.5 x 2 inch pan?  I want to be sure I have something that is at least close to the correct volume - even if I double the recipe.