• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help With Pod Coffee Machine

Fanga

Hello there, I've bumped into a thread about pod coffee machines though it is quite old and so I'm posting a new thread for help, I've never posted before here sorry for the opportunistic vibe but I appreciate the help if any one can.

I'm very noob on coffee machines that are not simple hot water brewers and I'm trying to get to something better like the pod machines. Does anyone know if Keurigs are any good? I've seen them in a top machines list (http://www.stellacoffees.com/top-5-best-espresso-machines-under-200-dollars/ ) but I never trust them too much. If anyone has any experience with them I appreciate the help. 

Nothing anybody can tell you here will substitute for your own taste buds.  Find stores that will demo the machines and pods you think you want and see if you like them. I personally like espresso and not plain coffee, so if I were looking for something poddy, I'd look at Nespresso machines.  Your link seems pretty clueless, since it says it is about espresso machines, and then highlights things that are not espresso machines.  Do some reading at coffeegeek.com

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

We bought a Keurig for entertaining a large number of folks every summer and it seems to work quite well.

Personally for us it was not useful because we drink our coffee very strong compared to most people and you simply cannot make strong coffee in a Keurig.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I second coffeegeek.com. The pod machines are not a step up unless you have a reason to need a variety of single-serve  beverages. The pods are expensive and wasteful. The internal plumbing inside the machine will get moldy quickly unless cleaned and dried regularly. If you want to make single cups of coffee, things like a french press or a Chemex may be more appropriate. -They certainly are easier to clean, and for the most part, you'll pay less for your coffee than with pods.

• Like 1

We have had very bad experiences with Keurigs. We had 3 fail before the warranty was up in a year. We got free replacements, but they told us they would not replace again after 3 of them. We have stopped using it anyway due to the negative environmental impact the pods are having. And yes, I do know that you can use the ones you fill yourself. I just figure if I'm going to do that, I may as well make a pot.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I have a Keurig that we purchased a very long time ago.  I like it a lot for ice tea cups and for Starbucks or Tully's dark roast.  I put away my expensive Technivorm Mochamaster which makes excellent coffee simply because the Keurig will do the job in about a minute and the taste is close enough to what I like.

It also produces a very, very hot cup of coffee.  Its footprint is smaller than my Technivorm so it gives up a bit more counter space.  No muss, no fuss; if it broke I'd buy another in an instant.

Edited by lindag
typo (log)

Right now, with my physical limitations, if I did not have a Keurig, or something very similar I would not have coffee it's that simple. And I have an eG Society member to thank for my good fortune!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I personally hate Keurigs because as someone else said up-thread, you can't get a strong cup of coffee with them, even filling your own pods.  I drink either cafe au lait if drinking brewed coffee, or flat whites if drinking espresso and I received a super-automatic style espresso machine for Christmas, which my brother bought through Coffee Geek.  I love it and it can make an Americano if I have guests who don't want espresso drinks.  I've also used a French press in the past when I wanted a small amount of brewed coffee.

I had a Dolce Gusto machine that failed.  When I called and was told the machine had been discontinued and fixing it was not an option, I was pleased to be informed that they would REPLACE THE MACHINE entirely free, they even paid the shipping both ways - I packed the old machine in the box in which the new one was shipped.

The new one is not like the old one but in my opinion is much better and more versatile.  

It uses the Dolce Gusto pods  but there are also refillable pods and I recently bought some and they work just fine.

I am really extremely pleased with the machine and love the way my coffee turns out.  I don't use the milk pods but I mix my own "creamer" using half and half infused with vanilla (or you can add vanilla syrup if you like it sweetened) I heat it in the microwave before dispensing the coffee into it. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett