• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatier consultant

Yasu

Hi Chocolatiers,

I'm trying to get an idea as to how much it would typically  cost for a professional chocolatier to develop a chocolate recipe based on certain specified ingredients.  What would be the average hourly rate charged? 

Also, I'm looking for a chocolatier consultant in the SAn Francisco Bay Area if anyone is interested, feel free to message me.  Thanks. 

Don't know if most people charge by hourly rate - I've always charged per recipe. I suppose the cost may vary depending on the difficulty of incorporating the specified ingredients. 

What are you hoping your consultant will do for you?

What the market will bear I'd say. Probably somewhere between $500 and $1000 depending on whether available water testing is included in the recipe development.

• 2 weeks later...

We do quite a bit of contract manufacturing. I have found a charge of $750 + tax seems to be sufficient to cover our recipe development time, and the clients we have are happy with the price.

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA