• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic (part 2)

BillBuitenhuys

Halloween tiki drinks from Three Dots and a Dash in Chicago. First one is their painkiller (which contains a pandan syrup and was delicious), second one was a cacao nib infused rum with coconut and pineapple.

IMG_5214.thumb.JPG.d12a8b58e7f9ed6d9cfc7af73d553156.JPGIMG_5215.thumb.JPG.f61d17e96a2c95bb8ec146fc50f98814.JPG

Edited by mukki (log)
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

Skin Diver from Beachbum Berry Remixed. Lemon juice, orange (used clementine juice), Puerto Rican gold rum (subbed Santa Teresa), demerara rum (used El Dorado), honey syrup, cream, angostura. Should I be embarrassed that I had 3 of these today?!

IMG_6968.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, mukki said:

Skin Diver from Beachbum Berry Remixed. Lemon juice, orange (used clementine juice), Puerto Rican gold rum (subbed Santa Teresa), demerara rum (used El Dorado), honey syrup, cream, angostura. Should I be embarrassed that I had 3 of these today?!

IMG_6968.jpg

That sounds delicious. Would be even more delicious in a tiki mug! ;)

1944 Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

1 oz each Jamaica and Martinique r(h)ums (2 oz Denizen Merchant’s reserve)

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz orange curaçao (Clement Creole shrubb)

1/4 oz orgeat (Small Hand Foods)

1/4 oz simple syrup

1944 Mai Tai (Trader Vic) . 1 oz each Jamaica and Martinique r(h)ums (2 oz Denizen Merchant’s reserve) 1 oz lime juice 1/2 oz orange curaçao (Clement Creole shrubb) 1/4 oz orgeat (Small Hand Foods) 1/4 oz simple syrup

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 3

No picture but I gave a drink I accidentally stumbled across a long time ago while stuck in a youtube loop (for those who aren't familiar, it's when you go to youtube to view something specific and the next thing you know, an embarrassing amount of time has passed while you keep clicking to the next interesting looking video in the suggestions) a try last night. They bill it as a tequila play on a zombie, which seemed about right for Cinco de Mayo, and call it the Oaxacan Dead. Blanco, reposado and anejo tequilas in equal parts plus apricot brandy, passion fruit puree, lime juice, grenadine and a few dashes of yuzu vinegar (which I was unwilling to source just for this). I thought the name was kinda clever (it's what caught my attention and is the only reason I clicked on the video) and it didn't taste bad. I don't know what it would have been like with the yuzu vinegar and probably never will but it wasn't too bad a way to kick off tiki season.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

21 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

That sounds delicious. Would be even more delicious in a tiki mug! ;)

Definitely, but I need to get some first!

• 3 weeks later...

Punky Monkey from the Beachbum Berry app (Scarlet Ibis rum, bourbon, lemon juice, cardamom, pineapple juice, simple, angostura, peychaud bitters), This was disappointing. I like bourbon, but it dominated this drink in an unpleasant way.

IMG_7104.thumb.jpg.4e5251cf9dba4251403c6347ef7d1a61.jpg

After tossing that one, I tried the Sherry Longboard from "Tiki Drinks" (sherry, pineapple juice and simple). Not bad, but a little too sweet.

IMG_7105.thumb.jpg.5363c1ad24194d9cffcbaed5ec25adb7.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 12:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I got home from work there were seven pounds of fresh white grapefruit sitting by my door.  So of course this means a zombie!  It's been so long, so very long, I really have to rethink my take on the recipe.  Here is what I tried this evening:

1 1/2 oz S&C

1 1/2 oz Neisson l'Esprit

1 oz Hamilton 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

1/2 oz Small Hand grenadine

5 ml tincture of cinnamon (made with W&N)

12 drops Jade 1901

1 (generous) dash Angostura

juice of 1 lime

juice of 1/4 fresh white grapefruit

Purple straw, garnish of mint.  The styrene taste I love about l'Esprit  comes through over everything.  Though of course both cinnamon and peanuts contain styrene, so one never knows.  I've always wondered if what I taste in l'Esprit is really, really styrene (vinyl benzene, phenylethene) or something else.  But styrene's what it tastes like to me.  And I don't taste it in any other rum.

Taylor's being Taylor's, I think I will decrease the falernum and increase the grenadine.  I would never admit it sober but I really don't like Taylor's.

The main problem is the drink did not fit in this 15 ounce crystal high ball glass.  I shall explore serving the zombie in my usual Baccarat mai tai tumbler.  Even should poor Don be rolling in his grave.

Tonight I felt like a zombie.  You may read that as you will.  Last night I received a Shingrix vaccination.  Shingrix is a new shingles vaccine, but it comes with side effects.  This evening I got home from work, lay down and enjoyed a nap.  Then realized I was missing celery for my dinner.*  Dinner was supposed to have been Bugialli's Lasagne al forno.  Wishful thinking.

I mused I could just stop by the store tomorrow after work.  Couldn't I?  Then I recalled the forecast.  I put my boots back on and set off through the wetlands.  An hour later I was headed home with my celery through the glomming.

However (back to topic) I picked up a grapefruit.  Not a white grapefruit, a red grapefruit was the best that I could do.  So I won't call this a zombie.  It is my desperate attempt at a zombie clone:

1 1/2 oz S&C

1 oz La Favorite Blanc

1/2 oz Neisson l'Esprit

1 oz Hamilton 151

1/4 oz Taylor's Falernum

10 ml tincture of cinnamon (made lovingly with W&N)

12 drops Jade 1901

1 (generous) dash Angostura

juice of 1 lime

juice of 1/4 fresh red grapefruit

Comparing the prior ingredients with the above, this is an improvement, authenticity be dammed.  Styrene no longer overpowers everything.  Taylor's is just enough to say I added it.  Sweetness is just right.

The fever may yet pass.  But if it does not I have a lovely knife collection.

*not that I didn't write up a shopping list prominently including celery before I headed to the store last night.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/25/2018 at 11:35 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Small Hand grenadine

Every time I read this ingredient, I think explosive.

Oh, and looking at the ingredients for your Lasagne, I'd say forgetting the celery saved you a couple hours of work. With 4 meats (5 if you count porcini), it sounds great.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

The problem with the drink is that it was really too much ethanol.  The sauce for the lasagna I've finished but not yet assembled the lasagna.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Some days ago I tried a variation on this, reducing the ethanol quite a bit.  It was OK but weak and unbalanced.  Tonight I made something somewhat in between:

1 1/2 oz S&C

1/2 oz Neisson l'Esprit

1 oz Hamilton 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

10 ml tincture of cinnamon or maybe a little more (made lovingly with W&N)

12 drops Jade 1901

1 (generous) dash Angostura, maybe 2

juice of 1 lime

juice of 1/8 fresh red grapefruit

Note:  I cut the grapefruit slightly from before and removed the La Favorite entirely (all the more for mai tai's).  While no one was looking I upped the Taylor's just a bit.

This is by far my best attempt to recreate a zombie.  Alcohol was just right, flavor was well balanced.  The bad news is I seem to be almost out of grenadine.  But I have a pomegranate in the refrigerator.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Mr. Bodi Hai from the new Tiki: Modern Tropical Cocktails with aged rum (Appleton), coffee liqueur, banana liqueur, pineapple juice, lemon juice, macadamia nut orgeat and angostura. Trader Joe's carries a new cold pressed pineapple juice that's a bit fresher tasting than the canned versions. 

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...