• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The new Milk

Toliver

It's a cow's milk produced the usual way but with a different inherent protein...that supposedly prevents all the ills and effects that regular milk is blamed for in the human body:

"The Milk You've Never Heard of Rocking the Dairy World"

Since its debut in 2003, a2 Milk has challenged the common wisdom in dairy retailing, grabbing almost 10 percent of the fresh milk market in Australia with a product that sells for about A$2.80 a liter ($2 a quart), more than double the price of regular house-brand milk.

...a2 Milk products are sourced from dairy cows that produce only the A2 type of beta-casein protein, whereas most dairy contains both A2 and A1. 

It all comes down to the type of protein found in this new milk. Some consumers swear by the new milk whereas skeptics also abound saying it's all much ado about nothing.

Are there any eGullet members down under who've tried this new milk? Being lactose intolerant, I'd be interested to find out if this new version of milk does make a difference.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A2 milk is available in both the United States and in Canada. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have never seen (anything labelled as) A2 milk as far as I can remember. I wish it was available here - or rather, since I don't drink milk, I wish that A2 cream, cheese and yogurt were readily available. Reading up about it, it seems to me that even if some don't believe there is a beneficial difference with A2 milk, it would not hurt to use only A2 products, just in case. I will have to keep my eye open for these milk products in future. Apparently sheep and goats only produce A2 milk but again their products are not easily found in these parts unfortunately.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I've never heard of A2 milk, but I've been enjoying fairlife milk.  Apparently it's ultra filtered and is lactose free due to the process.  It suddenly appeared in all the stores around my area.  

I don't find it normal to be drinking the emulsion of fat globules secreted by domesticated cattle that were artificially inseminated, hooked up to an industrial strength vacuum and were forced to lactate non-stop, then mechanically remove the fat globules, crush them, then reinsert them.

Most of my family drink A2 milk and say that is is far easier on the gut than regular milk. I am lactose intolerant and prefer not to imbibe in milk to protect the ozone layer. An interesting biological fact that most humans are lactose intolerant, it is only the degree of intolerance and the symptoms that varies. This is due to the decreasing production of lactase, an enzyme that breaks down the lactose so it can be absorbed.  Humans are also the only animal that consume milk after weaning.

Simon

• Like 2

personally, I have serious doubts about these claims.

A1 vs A2 proteins would be very easy to study in a human model.  

so  where are the studies ?  you better believe there are lots of Immunologists and allergists who would be all over this

for the sake of tenure.  

doesn't mean in anyway that A1 might be worth avoiding for some people

but that a completely different issue than lactose.

fermented cheese is a solution, one I enjoy from time to time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Simon Lewinson said:

Most of my family drink A2 milk and say that is is far easier on the gut than regular milk. I am lactose intolerant and prefer not to imbibe in milk to protect the ozone layer. ...

xDxD

Having become lactose intolerant late in life, I am eager to try it. I wasn't aware that it was already being sold in the US. I will have to peruse my local grocery stores to see if it's been right under my nose all along. 

I'll also have to check Trader Joe's, as well, since they seem to be ahead of the curve on most food things.

Tim Oliver

you can buy lactose free milk.  its a bit sweet, as the large lactose molecule has been hydrolyzed inn some fashion 

so you might detect that Dans Le Tongue.

A1 and A2 have nothing to do with loactose.

nada

nothing

if you get Sucked into this, make sure you know what you are doing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

you can buy lactose free milk.  its a bit sweet, as the large lactose molecule has been hydrolyzed inn some fashion 

so you might detect that Dans Le Tongue.

A1 and A2 have nothing to do with loactose.

nada

nothing

if you get Sucked into this, make sure you know what you are doing.

In the past I did try lactose-free milk...twice. The first time, it was successful...I experienced no issues. The second time I tried it I had a completely opposite reaction. File that under "Go Figure". O.o xD

Still, I'm willing to try it just for the heck of trying it, provided I can locate some.

Tim Oliver

lactose free milk  is not in any way free of lactose

that's how they maker it

there is still  in my opinion some  more or less lactose in those cartons,

Ive been around the block about this.

it was a small block.

better  it you like 'milk'  is to get yogurt   any fat you might like

and then undersatad   Lassi

a yogutgt drink from India

you can get two types at the Real Deal Indian Rest.

salty or sweet,

soooooo 

get the yogurt you  might like re fat

as some water

add it to your Toasted Flakes.

done

Id add some fz berries from TJ's

jus tazxing

9 hours ago, Print said:

I don't find it normal to be drinking the emulsion of fat globules secreted by domesticated cattle that were artificially inseminated, hooked up to an industrial strength vacuum and were forced to lactate non-stop, then mechanically remove the fat globules, crush them, then reinsert them.

While perhaps that isn't the idyllic scenario you described, none of that bothers me as much as the hormones and antibiotics fed to those cows - not to mention the GMO feed - that ends up in the milk.

1 hour ago, Deryn said:

While perhaps that isn't the idyllic scenario you described, none of that bothers me as much as the hormones and antibiotics fed to those cows - not to mention the GMO feed - that ends up in the milk.

Unless I have missed a large chunk of biology, GMO feed has no bearing on what is excreted from the mammary glands of cows; antibiotics and hormones are and I am concerned about these too.

GMO genetic material will be denatured and inactivated by stomach acid and enzymes during digestion. The intestines absorb a quite limited range of substances and DNA of plants is not on the "A" list. More concerning would be genetically modified organisms that can invade the body and replicate their DNA or RNA.

Simon

this is way more simple :

an 'Ad'  or an advertisement of any kind

is a payed rendition of itsy bitzy tiny truths that are intended to obscure the whole truth that might be not evident.

why pay so much money if its actually self evident ?

see   

2 hours ago, Simon Lewinson said:

Unless I have missed a large chunk of biology, GMO feed has no bearing on what is excreted from the mammary glands of cows; antibiotics and hormones are and I am concerned about these too.

GMO genetic material will be denatured and inactivated by stomach acid and enzymes during digestion. The intestines absorb a quite limited range of substances and DNA of plants is not on the "A" list. More concerning would be genetically modified organisms that can invade the body and replicate their DNA or RNA.

Simon

I am not sure this is the place to discuss that sort of thing (though I am guilty of responding - twice now - this time just to clarify what I meant though). My concern with GMO feed is not really the genetic manipulation aspect so much as the pesticides that are being sprayed on the grains, and the fact that more and more pesticides are apparently required every season to do the same job that previously took less. In most cases, from my understanding, a primary reason for the genetic manipulation was to make them resistant to pests and weeds, but, sprays are being used on the weeds around them and will fall on the grain plants as well. I don't think anyone can guarantee that those pesticides are not on the grain and eventually getting through the cows' systems and into the milk.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

The difference between a2 Milk® and "ordinary" cows' milk has to do with the chemistry of the protein beta-casein.  The marketers do not claim any lower lactose content.  However, the a2 Milk® website suggests that many people who believe themselves lactose-intolerant are not and may "have a sensitivity to the A1 protein." 

"If drinking ordinary cows’ milk gives you digestive issues, you may just feel a difference with a2 Milk®."

(Despite my cynical tendencies, I'll say) I haven't seen enough of the literature to have an opinion about the science behind the marketing.

P.S. (language rant)  I hate this euphemistic usage of "issue".  Why not call a problem a problem?  

P.P.S.  OTOH, I guess it may be appropriate in this context if it suggests "emanations".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fernwood said:

The difference between a2 Milk® and "ordinary" cows' milk has to do with the chemistry of the protein beta-casein.  The marketers do not claim any lower lactose content.  However, the a2 Milk® website suggests that many people who believe themselves lactose-intolerant are not and may "have a sensitivity to the A1 protein." 

"If drinking ordinary cows’ milk gives you digestive issues, you may just feel a difference with a2 Milk®."

(Despite my cynical tendencies, I'll say) I haven't seen enough of the literature to have an opinion about the science behind the marketing.

P.S. (language rant)  I hate this euphemistic usage of "issue".  Why not call a problem a problem?  

P.P.S.  OTOH, I guess it may be appropriate in this context if it suggests "emanations".

I forgot to mention that my mother has not drunk milk for about 20 years but can now enjoy the A2 milk. 

Simon

a2 milk has been available in California for almost a year.  Whole Foods carries it - the local health food store has it and some markets - I saw it at Von's last summer.  

I'm sure all of the "upscale" markets have it.   

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, andiesenji said:

a2 milk has been available in California for almost a year.  Whole Foods carries it - the local health food store has it and some markets - I saw it at Von's last summer.  

Ironically, after posting yesterday I read the food ads that came in my mail the previous day and there was a2 milk advertised for sale at a local health food store. Cue the Twilight Zone theme.;)

I'm sure all of the "upscale" markets have it.   

That leaves out my neighborhood! Upscale, it isn't.

But I know what you mean. I've been able to find Kefir in my local Walmart grocery store, so I'm sure I'll stumble upon the a2 milk sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

please understand this :

Toy Story  I, II , Perhaps III

suggested this :

"""   Money Money Money  ****

just saying

that's Mr Potato  Head  

full of Potato wisdom

just saying 

no milk here:

but

A1 or A2 is about :

""" money money money ""

check out Mr Potato Head in 

Toy Story I and II perhaps III ?

there might be a cameo about Milk

Ive forgotten..

this is all about money.  nada else.

11 hours ago, Simon Lewinson said:

Likewise... What are you trying to say?

My impression is that the point being asserted is that this whole "A2 Milk" situation was contrived by marketers as a way to make more money. I assume that this special new milk does cost more than regular old milk?

Personally, even though I grew up on a farm with a Jersey cow that lived in our neighbor's pasture and was never subjected to anything  worse than, once in a great while, a rotten tomato being thrown at her for fun, I just don't like cow milk or meat. Goat milk is OK. I'm not sure why because we milked both animals the same way (by hand), & I grew up assisting in that task so I'm not sure what it is about the cow juice that turns me off but boy it sure does. I just don't like the way it looks, smells, or the way it feels on my palate. I especially dislike the taste. It tastes really greasy to me. Maybe this was because our neighbor always had a Jersey cow and those cows are well known to have a high percentage of butter fat in their milk.  I dunno 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix typo (log)