• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

2 hours ago, Simon Lewinson said:

Unless I have missed a large chunk of biology, GMO feed has no bearing on what is excreted from the mammary glands of cows; antibiotics and hormones are and I am concerned about these too.

GMO genetic material will be denatured and inactivated by stomach acid and enzymes during digestion. The intestines absorb a quite limited range of substances and DNA of plants is not on the "A" list. More concerning would be genetically modified organisms that can invade the body and replicate their DNA or RNA.

Simon

I am not sure this is the place to discuss that sort of thing (though I am guilty of responding - twice now - this time just to clarify what I meant though). My concern with GMO feed is not really the genetic manipulation aspect so much as the pesticides that are being sprayed on the grains, and the fact that more and more pesticides are apparently required every season to do the same job that previously took less. In most cases, from my understanding, a primary reason for the genetic manipulation was to make them resistant to pests and weeds, but, sprays are being used on the weeds around them and will fall on the grain plants as well. I don't think anyone can guarantee that those pesticides are not on the grain and eventually getting through the cows' systems and into the milk.

Deryn

Deryn

2 hours ago, Simon Lewinson said:

Unless I have missed a large chunk of biology, GMO feed has no bearing on what is excreted from the mammary glands of cows; antibiotics and hormones are and I am concerned about these too.

GMO genetic material will be denatured and inactivated by stomach acid and enzymes during digestion. The intestines absorb a quite limited range of substances and DNA of plants is not on the "A" list. More concerning would be genetically modified organisms that can invade the body and replicate their DNA or RNA.

Simon

I am not sure this is the place to discuss that sort of thing (though I am guilty of responding - twice now - this time just to clarify what I meant though). My concern with GMO feed is not really the genetic manipulation aspect so much as the pesticides that are being sprayed on the grains, and the fact that more and more pesticides are apparently required every season to do the same job that previously took less. I don't think anyone can guarantee that those pesticides are not getting through the cows' systems and into the milk.