• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #72: Ramen

David Ross

2 hours ago, shain said:

I'd guess the chives, they taste quite different when dried (a bit like the scallions used to flavor potato chips). Dried celery also tastes different, but still distinctly like celery. And dried onion and garlic are also quite distinct and familiar.

I thought about the chives, but if there is chives in the packet, there very little. I believe the ingredient list is listed in order of the amount, which suggests cabbage is the dominant ingredient. As @Eatmywords suggested, maybe these dried vegetables (mainly the cabbage) is seasoned or cooked prior to being dehydrated. In my tests to dehydrate cabbage, i came to a conclusion the cabbage must be pre cooked because the amount of time it takes to make the ramen, my dehdrated cabbage was very tough to chew. 

Looking solely at the picture of the ramen, It looks like the cabbage can only be Napa or Savoy Cabbage. I Never bought Savoy before, so i am going to try steaming it rather then blanching because i dont want to lose any flavor/aroma. Then i am going to dehydrate it. I took a pic of the dried vegetable packet, as you can see, it is mostly cabbage. Did some research, seems Savoy is a popular cabbage used for dehydration. I bought a quart Jar which probably contains more then i will end up from the $4 head i bought from the grocery store. It all good, i bet this Savoy Head is going to make some really good Halupki's.

20201201_190337.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

Product of the USA!  Any more info on the back?  If not the ramen comp maybe you can contact them for the ingreds/seasonings?  (Sure, they'll think you're nuts but they'll be happy someone wants this info : ) 

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

On 12/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, Eatmywords said:

Product of the USA!  Any more info on the back?  If not the ramen comp maybe you can contact them for the ingreds/seasonings?  (Sure, they'll think you're nuts but they'll be happy someone wants this info : ) 

I am not contacting the company. I might be nuts for really liking this packet, I'll give you that. But you should really try it before you pass judgement. The entire container cost like 54 cents at Walmart. My wlamart is usually always out of stock, but another grocery has them for 99 cents. I hate paying that for a tiny packet of dried vegetables.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FeChef said:

I am not contacting the company. I might be nuts for really liking this packet, I'll give you that. But you should really try it before you pass judgement. The entire container cost like 54 cents at Walmart. My wlamart is usually always out of stock, but another grocery has them for 99 cents. I hate paying that for a tiny packet of dried vegetables.

You don't have to convince me.  I totally admire your curiosity and determination.  Everyone here is nuts (about food : )

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

On 12/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, pastameshugana said:

Fixed it. 😉

You should have added and Fragile.

Also, I tried nuking the dried cabbage i bought, there is definitely a similar aroma, but its not quite there. I am thinking its a combination of aromas from the cabbage, onion, and garlic. So i ordered minced onion and minced garlic. Will report back.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Confirmed. Its the combination of dried cabbage, dried minced onion, and dried minced garlic. For a standard ramen packet, 1 TBSP dried cabbage, 1 tsp dried minced onion, and 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic. I also added a 1/4 tsp of dried chives for color because i doubt it really adds much flavor/aroma. I ordered some dried red bell pepper, dried celery stalk, and dried peas just to recreate the entire original packet, but i doubt i will make much change in flavor, just add to color.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, FeChef said:

what is this, a pond in a bowl?

No, it is what the poster said it was:

Daun laksa a.k.a. daun kesum (Vietnamese coriander; rau răm) from my deck; plus mung bean sprouts.

A garnish for the noodles he was making. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

No, it is what the poster said it was:

Daun laksa a.k.a. daun kesum (Vietnamese coriander; rau răm) from my deck; plus mung bean sprouts.

A garnish for the noodles he was making. 

I was joking. At first glance, i was thinking to myself, this can't be edible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

I was joking. At first glance, i was thinking to myself, this can't be edible. 

I store my bean sprouts in water. Used to get same "whatcha growing the fridge?" 

• 1 year later...

Maggi 2 minute noodles for lunch today,with dried anchovies, chilli oil with shrimp, and to maximise the fish content, the reddish brown dust is grated bottarga.

IMG_20220515_142624.jpg

Screenshot_20220515-152213.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1