• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #72: Ramen

David Ross

Maybe this is ramen?  I've lived in fear of posting pictures since the advent of the "troubles"...

ShinBlack06092016.png

Shin Black.  With sliced quarter of ancient allium found in the refrigerator.  And a steamed-just-as-I-like-it egg by the method of @pazzaglia as posted on her website.  Actually I steamed a batch of eggs while I was at it.  One broke, so unfortunately the broken egg made it to the picture...tasted fine.

The Shin Back was nice but not all that I was hoping for.  Possibly I was looking for a more Japanese flavor profile.  When I cook the next packet I think I will reduce the cooking time.  Maybe leave out the red spice packet.  The instructions said 4-5 minutes and I cooked for four and a half.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker

Perhaps you would like to spread your wings and make (and freeze) your own bases

easypeasyjapanesey

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i-pSZ595F-D.jpg

Collard wilted with scallion and garlic, mushroom, radish, pickled egg, and of course ramen. All that swimming in venison broth. 

I threw the the flavor packet over my shoulder. 

• Like 12

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, Anna N said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

Perhaps you would like to spread your wings and make (and freeze) your own bases

easypeasyjapanesey

Thank you!  I just ordered her book and some noodles -- what looks like a very lot of noodles -- for delivery tomorrow (I hope).

After all, I have a whole batch of @pazzaglia eggs to use up!

• Like 1

My copy of Simply Ramen and the order of dried noodles arrived today on schedule.  The box was rather heavier than expected.  Wasn't the book.  Seventy six ounces of noodles didn't sound like much when I read the description on line.

• Like 3

Couple of ramen bowls.

With siu-yuk (燒肉) & a form of wong nga pak.

DSCN9704a_600.jpg

Base was "Ibumie Penang Lad Mie Perisa Lada Pedas".

With a couple of eggs poached in situ, spinach & shaved carrot.

DSCN9730a_600.jpg

Base was "Dragonfly Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor".

• Like 10

Click

I am particularly partial to the rotisserie chicken ramen in its serving dish :D. I almost threw one away this morning. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI tried these Korean noodles today, bought on special at the local supermarket for less than a dollar. "Mild" was the only choice, and yet still a little spicy. I noticed that molluscs were part of the ingredients, hmmm. Anyway, with a few snow pea sprouts they were just delicious. I could have added kimchi for extra oomph.

Goodbye Maggi 2 minute noodles.

• Like 5

Another Goku-Uma Bowl Ramen.

DSCN9880a_600.jpg

The packets inside & noodle block. The packet contents emptied onto the noodles.

DSCN9882a_400.jpgDSCN9885b_400.jpg

Finished, transferred to a real bowl with some fresh mizuna & sliced red-skinned young onion.

DSCN9888a_600.jpg

The noodles were decent. The soup - eh, not the most memorable.

• Like 5

A ramen bowl.

DSCN0015a_600.jpg

Pre-braised beef tendon & beef shin/shank (see here) [East Asia Market] simmered in water, fish sauce, hon-mirin for a while (to render them softer & ramp up the gelatinousness), before assembling the rest of the components in it. Baby zucchini, spring onions, ramen + seasonings, Chinese spinach, aburaage. Bowled, topped w/ lots of ground white pepper. The base was a pack of "Ibumie Penang Lad Mie Perisa Lada Pedas".

On the way there.

DSCN0010a_500.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

I've been meaning to add to this cook-off since it started. So here goes.

A ramen that I made for family dinner last night. Fresh ramen noodles in a pork/chicken/miso broth. Toppings are shoyu eggs, enoki mushrooms, the pink swirly stuff is called komatsuna, green onions, the green veggie is narutomaki, sweet corn, a couple of pieces of toasted seaweed, and shredded twice braised pork in soy, sake, mirin, sesame oil, and chili bean paste.

The fresh ramen noodles are an import that I buy at a local Japanese market (Mitsuwa) here in San Jose.

Ramen 2016-07-06.jpg

2016-06-24 Ramen Package.jpg

• Like 10

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Tonight, ramen.  I am getting better.  I simmered pork fat and a pork bone in commercial chicken broth.  Lots of fresh pounded white pepper and grated ginger.  I didn't over do it with the shoyu.

A @pazzaglia egg:  hard boiled white, soft runny yolk.  Scallions and pork.  Umamimart umami salt.  This time I skipped the shichimi togarashi entirely.

I only wish I had had more green vegetables.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight, ramen.  I am getting better.  I simmered pork fat and a pork bone in commercial chicken broth.  Lots of fresh pounded white pepper and grated ginger.  I didn't over do it with the shoyu.

A @pazzaglia egg:  hard boiled white, soft runny yolk.  Scallions and pork.  Umamimart umami salt.  This time I skipped the shichimi togarashi entirely.

I only wish I had had more green vegetables.

Aw, where's the photo ? Sounds delicious......

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Umamimart umami salt.

What are the ingredients?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

18 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What are the ingredients?

Sea salt, shitake mushrooms, black garlic powder.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2016 at 6:09 AM, Anna N said:

Not sure how to rid  ..my self of Anna's Quote

Chicken Back Ramen

Pressure Cooked Roasted chxn stock -- which I had a roasted chicken last night,  SO, I cut out the back and re braised in the stock to ADD TO MY SOUP.

Noodles are shiritake, with cauliflower stems, green onion, yellow summer squash, fresh sweet basil, Thia Basil , chili sauce, and a 5 min egg

28308018615_1079753959_k.jpg

• Like 10

Its good to have Morels

• 1 month later...

Another late-night "ramen bowl".  Simply a Little Cook TVP "pork" (= seitan bits) & mustard stem (= cha choy, 榨菜) bowl, plus its seasoning packages (this one); with chopped scallions added after letting the components sit in enough hot water, covered.

DSCN0777a_600.jpg

I like this one, usually prepared as directed - see below.

Ordinarily I would simply add hot water to the stuff in its styrofoam bowl with the sachet of TVP stuff plonked on top of the lid (as instructed) then opening it and adding the contents of the sachet to the bowl of stuff. I transferred everything to a porcelain bowl this time before adding the hot water and covering. I think I prefer the specified method. I also usually do not add anything else to this - IMO the chopped scallions were a mistake. The taste of the bowl-of-stuff by itself is preferred, I think. This was reviewed by theramnerater back in 2009 - when he found it "very bad". A very curious review which I disagree with. I wonder if he had ever truly tasted seitan bits in sauce at that time, or knew what "cha choy" was. He certainly seemed to expect actual pork and fresh mustard (I think, as in the Western notion of what "mustard vegetable" was) in the bowl.

• Like 4