• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

36 minutes ago, pufin3 said:

No I haven't had any store bought fresh ramen noodles. Never seen them in the stores where I live nearby.

I'm sure they are tastier than the .25 cent packages available.

OK, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the "25 cent" packages would be bottom-of-the-line stuff, indeed. (Actually, even the cheapest - with a seasoning pack in it) would be somewhere between 60-ish and 90-ish cents.** :-) I would murmur, however, that there are various brands of "instant ramen" or "instant noodles" from Taiwan, SE Asia, Japan, Korea, and so on that are very good. Many of them are also not cheap - for example, the laksa la mian pack above (with one of the best la mian blocks I've had) would be around $4-$5 each if bought individually in some places. If you had the opportunity one day perhaps you might consider trying some of the better ones.

But nevertheless it is good to read of your recipe for your own ramen noodles, thanks. I'm sure they are excellent. One day perhaps I might try it. Can your method be done in a blender on "low" or on "pulse"; or by hand?

(ETA: Traditionally, la mian was done entirely by hand, and is still done so today. Pasta was, too, of course)

**ETA2: Oh, wait, I remember years ago one could get packs of these instant ramen stuff (the low end stuff) from Western supermarkets in the USA for something like 4 or 5 packs to a dollar when they had special deals. Or even more for less money - but that was many, many years ago.

huiray

huiray

29 minutes ago, pufin3 said:

No I haven't had any store bought fresh ramen noodles. Never seen them in the stores where I live nearby.

Yes, the "25 cent" packages would be bottom-of-the-line stuff, indeed. (Actually, even the cheapest - with a seasoning pack in it) would be somewhere between 60-ish and 90-ish cents. :-) I would murmur, however, that there are various brands of "instant ramen" or "instant noodles" from Taiwan, SE Asia, Japan, Korea, and so on that are very good. Many of them are also not cheap - for example, the laksa la mian pack above (with one of the best la mian blocks I've had) would be around $4-$5 each if bought individually in some places. If you had the opportunity one day perhaps you might consider trying some of the better ones.

But nevertheless it is good to read of your recipe for your own ramen noodles, thanks. I'm sure they are excellent. One day perhaps I might try it. Can your method be done in a blender on "low" or on "pulse"; or by hand?

(ETA: Traditionally, la mian was done entirely by hand, and is still done so today. Pasta was, too, of course)

huiray

huiray

28 minutes ago, pufin3 said:

Yes, the "25 cent" packages would be bottom-of-the-line stuff, indeed. (Actually, even the cheapest - with a seasoning pack in it) would be somewhere between 60-ish and 90-ish cents. :-) I would murmur, however, that there are various brands of "instant ramen" or "instant noodles" from Taiwan, SE Asia, Japan, Korea, and so on that are very good. Many of them are also not cheap - for example, the laksa la mian pack above (with one of the best la mian blocks I've had) would be around $4-$5 each if bought individually in some places. If you had the opportunity one day perhaps you might consider trying some of the better ones.

(ETA: Traditionally, la mian was done entirely by hand)

huiray

huiray

9 minutes ago, pufin3 said: