• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

helenjp

helenjp

I don't know, to me it's more that ramen are one type of alkaline noodle...they are very similar to some other East or Southeast Asian styles, less similar to others. Ramen seem firmer than most Chinese alkaline noodles I have eaten, though. And sweet potato vermicelli or rice vermicelli are made from a different starch (not wheat flour) and a different preparation method (don't use any alkalizing agent) too.

helenjp

helenjp

I don't know, to me it's more that ramen are one type of alkaline noodle...they are very similar to some other East or Southeast Asian styles, less similar to others. Ramen seem firmer than most Chinese alkaline noodles I have eaten, though.