• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birch Syrup: where to buy it in Ontario?

Darienne

Pannukakku has become a new favorite in the McAuley household. (LCBO Food & Wine, winter season 2016).  We've been using Maple Syrup...made with DH's help in a local sugar shack...but the recipe actually calls for birch syrup.

Does anyone know where to buy it in Ontario?  Any grocery stores carry it?  Specialty stores?  Toronto? What about in the Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I was in Cochrane a couple of summers ago and a farmer's market was going on.  I bought some maple-birch syrup although they also had pure birch syrup.  Go here    northof49birch.ca. 

You can order from them.  

• Like 1

Thanks Elsie.  I imagine you could also find it in Sudbury.  We went there to teach a workshop about 10 years ago and I couldn't breathe from 100 miles out until we got back to that point...birch pollen. 

I know I can get it online...I wanted to see if I could pick it up somewhere.  I've phoned a lot of local places which you might think might carry it...but they don't.

My friend who lives in Cambridge spent a year in Finland in high school and is looking forward to having Pannukakku when she next comes to visit.  So I thought I'd try for the birch syrup.  Online would be a last resort at this point.  Might not even like the stuff...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wonder if natural food stores might carry it?  Also, north of 49 would be able to tell you if any retail places sell their stuff.  They had samples at the farmer's market and I preferred the blended syrup.  Can't remember why.

Couple of places in Peterborough that carry Forbes Wild Food which makes a birch syrup.

Whetung Ojibwa Centre
875 Mississauga Street
Curve Lake Indian Reserve
(705) 657-3661

Canadien Canoe Museum
910 Monaghan Road
Peterborough, ON
1 (866) 342-2663

• Like 1

For Elsie:  here's where to buy it in Ottawa:

• Canada in a Basket
    55 Byward Market Square
    Ottawa
    (613) 241-2088

Alas, the Canoe Museum does not have birch syrup in stock and Whetung's (where we sell our decorated gourds) no longer carries it.   And it's not carried in the Cambridge area.

I think we'll stick with Maple Syrup until our next unavoidable trip to Toronto.  Thanks to you both. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.