• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Put it on a Plate!

Tere

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. But not just any plate! One large enough to contain the offered food and still allow you to eat it without spreading it across the table!    (From a recent lunch recorded in the Ladies who Lunch topic.)

image.jpeg.77816e56839493eb1d0b2d34976b4

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I must admit that I cannot see the point of somebody serving food on old boards etc. I was flying back home from the Caribbean this last December and managed to get as far as Heathrow without getting food poisoning. I went to one of the few restaurants that appeared pretty good and ordered a "pulled pork burger with chips and a salad". The whole lot was served on an old wooden board! I looked at the board and noticed that it was encrusted with old scraps of food, called the waiter and told him to tell the chef that it was unacceptable. He took the lot back to the kitchen and a minute later arrived with the same food, now on a plate. I objected and was told if I did not want it, I should go and eat elsewhere. I found another pretty bad pub to get a regular burger with chips. It was pretty bad, but I did not suffer from eating it! The Brits appear fixed on this sort of thing and I cannot fathem out why their health authorities do not ban the practice.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. But not just any plate! One large enough to contain the offered food and still allow you to eat it without spreading it across the table!    (From a recent lunch recorded in the Ladies who Lunch topic.)

image.jpeg.77816e56839493eb1d0b2d34976b4

Haven't you ever heard of 'small plate' entrees? :)

• Like 1

Hm, while I agree that serving food in a sink or on a gardening utensil is plain awful, I don't see what's the harm in a slate cheeseboard or using small cutting boards in lieu of plates (e.g. from what I have seen during my visits in Austria, it's common for breakfasts). I also love eating from wooden bowls and my organization loving self sometimes gravitates towards using multiple small vessels for different parts of the meal, even if they are traditionally served together on one plate.

Alinea, Noma, El Bulli et alii have no problems with just/no plates for some of their courses why shouldn't other restaurants try to bring something extra/fun for the guest aside from the food itself?

Of course if proper hygiene is not observed, I see the problem immediately.

Edited by Vlcatko (log)
  • Like 3

Vlcatko

Vlcatko, and some cultures eat with their hands out of a common container as a regular everyday practice but I think the satire expressed by the video/song that Tere posted was directed at the plethora of efforts by western restaurants (particularly modernist establishments) to constantly 'surprise' with their tableware (or lack thereof) ... and how annoying that constant change/innovation can be and how difficult it can also be to enjoy one's meal when the method for eating it overshadows the food that is presented in it.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

Plate and glass for me, please. I'm more interested in what's on it and in it. Particularly annoying, for me, are those Mason jars, although it seems that the height of that craze has passed. And I do not want to listen to the sound of my knife and fork on that slate, please.

• Like 3