• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why is Julia Usher not mentioned anywhere on eGullet?

GlorifiedRice

She's not mentioned anywhere on eGullet by me because I'd never heard of her until your post. Make's mentioning her kinda difficult.

• Like 10

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I watched as far as the lip on the cylinder and gave up.  Fascinating stuff...but definitely not for me. 

(And it is Saturday which means laundry, meds, next week's breakfast assembly, soup making, pulled pork making, bed remaking, dog hair vacuuming, etc, etc...not time to sit and watch extended cookie making videos...:P )

But thanks for bringing this wonderful cookie maker to our attention. 

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I believe if I spent that much time on a sculpture, I would prefer to work in a more permanent medium. There's no denying that her work is amazing, though. I hope she's making money at it, but I suspect it may be more a labor of love.

Part of the reason I was drawn to cooking was the impermanence of the medium. I'm not much drawn to the structural elements of it but I can see the appeal, as someone who's spent many hours painstakingly making just a few scant ounces of a sauce. In cooking, you eat your failures and triumphs equally and there's something poetic about that.

• Like 7

PS: I am a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

I salute her talent and patience. Her work is amazing but a bit too fussy for me. Rather than spend that much time on just a few cookies of one type I'd rather spend that time making a variety of cookies using different techniques. But then I'd choose my grandmothers 9x13 butter cake with case knife serrated trails in the burnt sugar icing over a "polished" cake any day.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎04 at 9:18 AM, Yiannos said:

This reminds me a lot of all those damn cake shows on TV, where they are more sculpting "edible" (I'm looking at you, fondant) items than making flavors and food people actually want to eat. 

Sometimes food can be both. Making a cake or a cookie look like something other than a cake or a cookie doesn't exclude the possibility of it being tasty.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh yes totally agree, and I have no idea how these taste, but looking at them all I can think is "neat!" but I really want to think more "yum!" I guess. All that fine sugar and detail work just looks very dry and crunchy to me, but incredibly creative and artistic nonetheless.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Is there no molasses in Germany?  How about black treacle?

I looked that up on Amazon, its referred to as "Lyle's Black Treacle - Cane Molasses"

A search on Amazon Deutcheland reveals many brands of Molasses

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/258-6214015-9346204?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Molasses

So I dont get it.

Even Japan has 3 different brands

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...