• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heineken Beer Steak Marinade

curtis

I usually don't marinade steak, because it can take away from the natural flavor of the meat. I read this recipe, however, and I thought I would try this marinade.

Recipe Reference: http://www.food.com/recipe/heineken-beer-steak-marinade-425104

2 cups Heineken beer
1 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons minced green onions
1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

If anyone has tried this, I would like to hear your appraisal. In addition, if you have a recommendation for a steak marinade, let me know. Thanks.

Apart from the fact that it sounds like a terrible idea, why does it have to be Heineken beer? They sponsored the recipe on the website, perhaps?

I can think of a hundred beers I would use in my cooking before that industrial effluent - but not to marinate a steak.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

That is an awful lot of marinade for one steak unless you cut it perhaps from an elephant or a dinosaur.   I also imagine that one cup of soy sauce would mask any flavour  contributed by the Heineken  or half a teaspoon of thyme. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Back in the 70s, this recipe -- often with red wine instead of the beer -- was very popular for marinating flank steaks and London Broil, steaks that needed to be sliced thin across the grain to be tender enough to eat without long cooking.  

I never made it with beer, but I sure did make it with red wine a lot, and it was quite tasty.  I wouldn't use it on a premium steak, but for a tougher cut that could use some help, it's good.  

• Like 2

Others have already stated what I thought of as I read the recipe. The volume of marinade and the choices of seasoning in general make me think, except we used red wine, of how my DW and I used to marinate chuck roasts which we would then cook on a Farberware Open Hearth Electric Broiler. It seems way too heavy-handed for a simple steak.

The only thing I can recall using beer for is in a recipe the husband of our our Ren Faire Guild Mistress's husband likes, and I do like it also. Tri-tip is cut into 5 oz portions and each 2 - 2 1/2 pounds of meat is put into a zip top bag, into which is poured 8 oz of Newcastle Brown Ale, 8 oz Yoshida's Gourment Sauce and a handful of peeled whole garlic closes, then left to marinate for 4 - 6 hours. Grill to the medium end of medium rare. It's very popluar for our after-hours dinner. we serve it with beans and a green salad.

I wonder if a subdued dry rub may get you to some flavoring you would like?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 2/27/2016 at 6:46 AM, SylviaLovegren said:

Back in the 70s, this recipe -- often with red wine instead of the beer -- was very popular for marinating flank steaks and London Broil, steaks that needed to be sliced thin across the grain to be tender enough to eat without long cooking.  

I never made it with beer, but I sure did make it with red wine a lot, and it was quite tasty.  I wouldn't use it on a premium steak, but for a tougher cut that could use some help, it's good.  

I make a similar beer marinade but will swap out the beer for wine sometimes, depending upon what I am marinading.

I don't measure but besides the beer, I'll use soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic and diced onion. Sometimes with chicken I will use the afore-mentioned wine. Because the marinade is so salty, when cooking the protein I won't use salt but will be generous with the crushed black pepper.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 2/27/2016 at 6:58 AM, liuzhou said:

Apart from the fact that it sounds like a terrible idea, why does it have to be Heineken beer? They sponsored the recipe on the website, perhaps?

I can think of a hundred beers I would use in my cooking before that industrial effluent - but not to marinate a steak.

I use to hate beer until in '72 I went to Europe for the summer.  First London, then Rotterdam and onward.   By the time I got to Rotterdam I was "warming" up to beer and after lots of Heineken I was liking it.  Not sure if Heineken was different back then or was it being in Rotterdam but I liked it.   I hate the stuff now.  Still like beer but there are so many better choices than that skunky beer.

I'm not a fan of lager full stop but Heineken isn't a particularly interesting example of the genre. And Anna is right, the amount of soy and thyme would kill it anyway. If I was going to use beer as a marinade I would use a good sweet heavy malty one and make it the star. I could see Titanic Plum Porter (which I was drinking on Sunday) being useful for a marinade ingredient, for example. What about a dark honey infused beer with a touch of soy? A Scottish 80 shilling? (Caledonian is good). Stout? Guinness even? Something with a bit more body, most definitely.

• Like 1