• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Decline of Cold Cereal in the age of the Millennials

Toliver

When my kids were little, they had these itty bitty mini flight bags.  I used to fill them with dry cereal when we went some place. When they were eating, they were quiet and not bugging me or touching stuff in stores.  Their all time favorite cereal was Crispy Critters.  Husband and I always called it the Refugees from the Forest Fire stuff.  Not very  PC, but we are easily amused.

• Like 2

I spend a lot of time in Mexico and a very popular breakfast there is called a "bionico."  Naturally, it varies somewhat but, usually, it's yogurt topped with granola and fresh fruit.  I don't often have granola around the house because the brands I particularly like seem loaded with fat and sugar and I go through them too quickly.  I do, however, always have some dry cereal.  Like others, I mainly eat it with milk as a late-night snack, rather than for breakfast.  My current favorite brand is the Great Grains with raisins, dates and pecans.  So my current fave breakfast is my version of a bionico - yogurt topped with cereal and fresh fruit. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

On February 28, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Shelby said:

I was born in '74.  Not sure what that makes me, but I remember not liking to eat in the morning.  Especially anything sweet.  Breakfast cereal......I guess we had some.  I seldom ate it.  I remember my Dad eating Life Cereal (is that still around?).  I do remember taking those multi-packs of cereals when we went camping.  I liked Frosted Flakes, but only a spoonful at a time went into the milk because I HATE soggy flakes. Always in that pack there was a box that I couldn't stand.  Can't recall the name of it now but it seems like it was a green box with a frog on the front???  Now, if I had to eat cereal it is for a sweet snack and my favorite is Captain Crunch :) . 

I have a memory of Malt-O-Meal.  I always thought it sounded better than it actually tasted.  Later I remember my mom having some kind of powdered drink mix that you mix with milk that was supposed to be "healthy".

When I was in high school I never ate breakfast and seldom ate lunch.  Oh for the days of being that thin again lol.

Shelby, my husband was born in 1974. He's a Gen X. I was born in 1980 which makes me a millennial to some, and a late Gen X to others. 

Neither of us grew up eating cereal in the mornings, save the occasional Cheerios. I never ate breakfasts in high school and would only eat lunch if there were tater tots being served, I'd pick at a bagel instead. My husband rarely eats breakfast despite working 10 plus hours with a 2 hour round trip commute. We do love to make a big brunch on weekends.  I do have an affinity for Taylor Ham being from Northern Nj. It's more of a lunch or snack thing for me. 

• Like 2