• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RuthWells

Inexpensive Bonbon Packaging Help?

I know this question gets asked frequently, and I've done my research, but I can't believe that I can't find a less expensive option for packaging to hold 2 truffle-sized bonbons.  The two options I liked (from Nashville Wraps and BoxandWrap) come to over $1.60 each when factoring in shipping.  There is no way to price them at that cost.  Am I missing some options out there?

Are you looking for cardboard boxes or are plastic ok?  Glerup-revere has a variety of clear boxes, I like the low profile ones, they fit my smaller bonbons without too much extra room on top. Though since I'm local I pick mine up at will call so I'm not sure how their shipping rates are. 

Papermart.com has (relatively) low prices.  This truffle box is a rigid box, quite substantial (I have used this same box in other sizes) and is priced at 40 cents per piece (not including shipping).  In general, as you already have discovered,  boxes are quite expensive.  $2 a box is not at all unusual for containers holding about 6 pieces.  Folding boxes are less expensive than the rigid (already set up) ones.  But, in my opinion, the presentation of your product makes a big difference, and I think you should get the best-looking box you can afford.  One other piece of unsolicited advice:  If you find boxes you really like, stock up on them because they go in and out of availability often (I was surprised at the huge delays in shipments from China--the source of most stock boxes--caused by last year's dock strike on the West Coast).

You guys are the best!  I had completely forgotten about Glerup/Revere, PastryGirl, I'm gonna have fun looking through their options.

I definitely want clear boxes; Kerry, here are the two options I was looking at:

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/candy-boxes/clear-truffle-boxes/sku-fc23abr.html

http://www.boxandwrap.com/candy-boxes-gold-artisan.html

Jim, I have purchased my other (larger) packaging at Papermart and I generally like them a lot.  I just wish they had a 2-truffle version of their PET box with the gold bottom; that would be perfect.  And thanks for the tip on availability.  I'm really just a hobbyist who is selling a little on the side at this point and trying to keep my price point low, so not (yet) splurging on the gorgeous boxes....

Edited: Oh dear, Glerup has a $50 minimum and is on the opposite coast from me.  Curses!!!

Edited by RuthWells (log)

I hear ya, Ruth. It is so difficult finding that perfect fit with packaging, pricing and shipping.  These are some of the options I used, (before the house/shop burned down):

Sweet Packaging has some 2 part boxes with the acetate lids. They will hold two fairly large pieces. You can get cavity inserts for them as well. Might be a little more pricey, but honestly, I cannot recall what I paid for those. I know they give volume discounts, though. 

The cardboard, one-piece folding boxes at Nashville Wraps are only about .29cents each. If you build it into a large order, you can get free shipping. This one...http://www.nashvillewraps.com/candy-boxes/clear-truffle-boxes/sku-fc23abr.html  is less than a dollar per box, and has a clear lid.  If you can build a large order ($300 +), shipping is free.   A couple times a year, when there is a big sale, I order all the Christmas packaging I can, along with the gift bags, ribbons, fibre tissue, etc. I don't have to do it often, and to get that free shipping is such a bonus! 

I like alot of the ASB boxes, but, the shipping costs end up being 1/3 -1/2 of the purchase price. The only way to break even with that company is to buy the clearance items when they hit 40 or 50% off.  I cannot figure out why they don't do it the way Nashville Wraps does it. They'd probably get tons more business. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

29 minutes ago, RuthWells said:

You guys are the best!  I had completely forgotten about Glerup/Revere, PastryGirl, I'm gonna have fun looking through their options.

Edited: Oh dear, Glerup has a $50 minimum and is on the opposite coast from me.  Curses!!!

How many do you need?  I'm not home at the moment but I'm pretty sure I have a bundle of the two piece boxes. I could send you a few for cost plus shipping. 

Oh my goodness, ChocoMom, I'm so sorry to hear about your fire.  How devastating.  I hope there were no injuries.

I love that box from Nashville Wraps, but with shipping it's over $1.60 per piece, and I'm not doing the kind of volume that would justify a $300+ order, unfortunately.

Sweet Packaging certainly has some reasonable options, thanks for that tip!!

PastryGirl, that is INCREDIBLY generous of you.  We're test-marketing at my local coffee shop and I was prepared to buy 25 or so to get started, but if you can spare even a few, that would be such a boon.  Hopefully things will go well enough to justify a $50 minimum order soon!

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Hi there, I’m looking for some interesting flavours for truffles. Any combination of filling and coating ideas? For lemon, dark ganache, orange and caramel example. 
      I also realised that when deciding to use ready made truffle shells filling needs to have a creamy texture. Any advice on this? 
    • By CharTruff
      Hello! 

I am doing some spring cleaning and am selling some of my used polycarbonate molds. I've attached pictures and dimensions below.  The mold prices do not include shipping fee. I will ship these via USPS priority mail. 

For estimation purposes only, 4 - 5 molds can fit in a medium box and it costs $15.05 to ship. Please let me know if you have any questions.  

Thank you. 
      Charlotte W. 

• By eglies
      Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with these design attached?

I manage to make it on the table somehow and then when trying it into the mould it just doesnt work  

Any tips on this ?

Thank you!!

• By ptw1953
      I am wishing to purchase some black cocao butter, but it is scarcer than hobby-horse sh*te here in the UK. I do have some cocao butter, and some black fat-soluble powder. Tips and tricks for the making of black cocao butter at home would be most welcome...

ptw1953
    • By La Vie Chocolat
      Beautiful day chocolate friends.

I'm brand new here on the forum. Almost two years ago, I started making pralines in the Czech Republic. There are not many manufacturers and not at all those who work by hand. I have a big problem with cleaning the molds. I like to work cleanly, so I absolutely clean and polish alcohol before each batch of molds. I use my little helper for this - an accumulation screwdriver with an extension, which I made from a wine cork - it works perfectly. I apply clean make-up tampons and possibly alcohol to it.

But now I have a lot of molds and manual cleaning is crazy. I bought an older dishwasher in a restaurant and I can't find a product (soap, detergent) that would well remove the remnants of chocolate from the sides of the molds and at the same time, of course, would not destroy the molds? Does anyone have any type or advice for any other cleaning machine, please?

I bought a special product "Brillform", which is intended for rinsing already washed molds - it should ensure shine without polishing each tube, but first I have to get the chocolate away.

Here is a link to my website and instagram, you can look at my work and I will be very happy and grateful for any advice and warnings on what I could improve, because there is no professional in the Czech Republic focused on pralines, so there is no one to learn from I teach myself by rehearsing and from great books, videos and watching the world's chocolatiers.

Thank you again